[comp.sys.mac.hardware] SIMMs availability and prices

hardy@rhi.hi.is (Yngvi Hardarson) (12/04/90)

Can somebody please email a summary of SIMMs suppliers in the US that ship
overseas as well as recent prices.

Also please comment on your experience in ordering SIMMs from the US.

I'm currently only interested in 1M SIMMs but does anybody know which
of the Macs accept 4M SIMMs?

Thanks,
Yngvi Hardarson
University of Iceland and
Federation of Icelandic Industries

Internet: hardy@rhi.hi.is

jack@Taffy.rice.edu (Jack W. Howarth) (12/04/90)

In article <2475@krafla.rhi.hi.is> hardy@rhi.hi.is (Yngvi Hardarson) writes:
>Can somebody please email a summary of SIMMs suppliers in the US that ship
>overseas as well as recent prices.
>
>Also please comment on your experience in ordering SIMMs from the US.
>
>I'm currently only interested in 1M SIMMs but does anybody know which
>of the Macs accept 4M SIMMs?
>
>Thanks,
>Yngvi Hardarson
>University of Iceland and
>Federation of Icelandic Industries
>
>Internet: hardy@rhi.hi.is

The LOWEST prices are currently from MacProducts USA which has 1 meg SIMMs
for $29 cash price. They have a US number or 1-800-622-3475 and a UK number
080 089 1742. This is a Xmas special and I don't know if it is applicable
overseas.
                           Jack Howarth
p.s. they advertise in MacWeek, MacWorld and MacUser...

sburke@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Scott Burke) (12/04/90)

In article <1990Dec4.035234.21193@rice.edu> jac>
>The LOWEST prices are currently from MacProducts USA which has 1 meg SIMMs
>for $29 cash price. They have a US number or 1-800-622-3475 and a UK number
>080 089 1742. This is a Xmas special and I don't know if it is applicable
>overseas.
>                           Jack Howarth
>p.s. they advertise in MacWeek, MacWorld and MacUser...

Well, MacProducts USA engages in dubious advertising, because that was only
a limited-time offer because they "only bought a limited quantity--that's
why we got the discount".  I tried to order some, and they were all gone, so
the normal price of $40/Mb is in effect.  The cheapest place is therefore
the Chip Merchant, and $37/Mb.

Scott
sburke@jarthur.claremont.edu

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) (12/06/90)

In article <2475@krafla.rhi.hi.is>, hardy@rhi.hi.is (Yngvi Hardarson) writes...
>I'm currently only interested in 1M SIMMs but does anybody know which
>of the Macs accept 4M SIMMs?

I think anything beyond the Mac II (inclusive) can use 4MB SIMMs.

Richard C. Long  *  long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com
                 *  ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long
                 *  long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com