[comp.sys.mac.hardware] 1/3 or 1/2 height drives for IIsi

sburke@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Scott Burke) (11/29/90)

Hi.

Can anyone post or send me information about the largest hard drives
that will fit into a IIsi?  I know that a 1/2 height supposedly will
fit, but that there may be gotchas with respect to power consumption
if I also use a 24-bit color card or an accelerator at some point.

The largest 1/3 height drive I've heard of is the Quantum 105LPS. Is
Quantum going to come out with larger 1/3 height drives, or,
alternatively, are there larger 1/2 height drives that don't use too
much power?

Scott

sburke@jarthur.claremont.edu

torrie@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Evan James Torrie) (11/29/90)

sburke@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Scott Burke) writes:

>The largest 1/3 height drive I've heard of is the Quantum 105LPS. Is
>Quantum going to come out with larger 1/3 height drives, or,
>alternatively, are there larger 1/2 height drives that don't use too
>much power?

  In EE Times, Quantum is advertising a new range of 3.5" drives and
2.5" drives.  The 3.5" drives come in 80 and 160 MB capacities, and
are smaller (both in length and height) than their existing 3.5"
drives...

  These advertisements look like pre-announcements though.  I don't
know how long it will be before they're readily available.

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
"Dear Fascist Bully Boy,   Give me some money, or else.  Neil.  P.S. May
the seed of your loins be fruitful in the womb of your woman..."

woods@convex.com (Darrin Woods) (11/30/90)

In article <9847@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> sburke@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Scott Burke) writes:

>Can anyone post or send me information about the largest hard drives
>that will fit into a IIsi?  I know that a 1/2 height supposedly will
>fit, but that there may be gotchas with respect to power consumption
>if I also use a 24-bit color card or an accelerator at some point.
>
>The largest 1/3 height drive I've heard of is the Quantum 105LPS. Is
>Quantum going to come out with larger 1/3 height drives, or,
>alternatively, are there larger 1/2 height drives that don't use too
>much power?
>
>Scott

The drives in the IIsi must be low power consumption, preferably 1/3
height.  Apple GROSSLY underpowered the power supply and has been the
cause of a lot of 'accidents' with adding peripherals and third party
items that draw too much power.

As far as graphics and accelerator cards - just remember that whatever
card you purchase, it cannot use over 15w - that's all the power the
si can spare to the NuBus.

BTW - Did you know that the 8.24GC uses about 20w.  Apple can't even
make machines that work with their own hardware.

Blacksheep
Senior Systems Engineer

--
Darrin R. Woods						woods@convex.com

This is a guest account. Convex knows nothing about what I'm saying, or
even that I'm saying it.

gaynor@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) (12/01/90)

In article <109561@convex.convex.com> woods@convex.com (Darrin Woods) writes:
>	Apple GROSSLY underpowered the power supply and has been the
>cause of a lot of 'accidents' with adding peripherals and third party
>items that draw too much power.

	OK, I've heard enough about this.

	The Commodore Amiga 500 has a -very- small power supply.
Between the virtually mandatory 1 meg expansion board, and an external
drive, there is little to no power left over for other uses.  However,
alternate power supplies have been produced for the 500 - although is
is somewhat easier for the 500 as it's power supply is external

	The point to all this is - has anyone considered the
possibility of beefing up the IIsi's power supply?  Can any hardware
person out there tell me that it's either impossible or not feasible
or horribly expensive to do this?

--
 Jim Gaynor - Systems Analyst 1        + "This is Serious.  He is Lost.
 The Ohio State University ACS-FM-OCES |  We must begin the Search at once."

schorsch@oxy.edu (Brent William Schorsch) (12/05/90)

gaynor@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) states:
>	 The point to all this is - has anyone considered the
>possibility of beefing up the IIsi's power supply?  Can any hardware

I don't know about this, but external drives use their own power supply and
I believe there are external nubus chassis available with 4 & 8 slots which
supply their own power supply...
-Brent schorsch (schorsch@oxy.edu)

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (12/05/90)

In article <131323@tiger.oxy.edu>, schorsch@oxy.edu (Brent William Schorsch) writes:
|> gaynor@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) states:
|> >	 The point to all this is - has anyone considered the
|> >possibility of beefing up the IIsi's power supply?  Can any hardware
|>
|> I don't know about this, but external drives use their own power supply and
|> I believe there are external nubus chassis available with 4 & 8 slots which
|> supply their own power supply...
You mean ripping the internal drive out and replacing it with an external
might be an alternative to "beefing up the IIsi's power supply"?
--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

greg@cti1.UUCP (Greg Fabian) (12/06/90)

In article <131323@tiger.oxy.edu>, schorsch@oxy.edu (Brent William Schorsch) writes:
>|> gaynor@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) states:
>|>
>|> I don't know about this, but external drives use their own power supply and
>|> I believe there are external nubus chassis available with 4 & 8 slots which
>|> supply their own power supply...

It would be economically unfeasible to buy a NuBus expansion chassis in order
to expand an Mac II SI.  Expansion chassis are EXPENSIVE, and it would make
more sense for you to buy a Mac II CI with all the NuBus slots you will
probably need.  It would be cheaper to get the external unit for the SI with
it's own external power supply than to go the NuBus route.  Apple designed
the II SI for those folks who don't need the NuBus expansion (although you
have the option of installing a NuBus Adapter if you need one).

As for cracking open a Mac SE, it's no great problem.  There are four screws
holding it together and the case snaps apart.  Although room in kinda tight,
it doesn't take much effort to install/replace disk drives.  You have to
give Apple credit for the way the machine is put together (non-ergonomically
speaking).
--
Greg Fabian

CTI                  (703) 685-5400 |
2121 Crystal Drive                  | When the going gets weird
Suite 103                           |    the weird turn pro
Arlington, VA  22202  greg@cti.com  |             - Hunter S. Thompson