[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Nintendo--- ADB interface...

wayner@kama.cs.cornell.edu (Peter Wayner) (12/01/90)

Hey, does anyone know how to interface Nintendo controllers with
the ADB port on a Mac? I just saw a very interesting no-touch
controller being marketted by Broderbund for Nintendo. You can
manipulate the game by just moving your hands in front of this
clam-shell-like device. It would be neat to interface either
this or the Mattel PowerGlove to a computer. Any ideas?

-Peter Wayner
(wayner@cs.cornell.edu)

Peter Wayner   Department of Computer Science Cornell Univ. Ithaca, NY 14850
EMail:wayner@cs.cornell.edu    Office: 607-255-9202 or 255-1008
Home: 116 Oak Ave, Ithaca, NY 14850  Phone: 607-277-6678

pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (12/05/90)

In article <49133@cornell.UUCP>,
wayner@kama.cs.cornell.edu (Peter Wayner) writes:
> Hey, does anyone know how to interface Nintendo controllers with
> the ADB port on a Mac? I just saw a very interesting no-touch
> controller being marketted by Broderbund for Nintendo. You can
> manipulate the game by just moving your hands in front of this
> clam-shell-like device. It would be neat to interface either
> this or the Mattel PowerGlove to a computer. Any ideas?
>
> -Peter Wayner
> (wayner@cs.cornell.edu)

From the 9/03/90 issue of TidBITS....

   The first of the video game decks to attain massive popularity
was the Atari VCS, but it died down and was replaced several years
later by the Nintendo Entertainment System. I've never seen one of
these decks, but even the videotape rental stores around here now
carry Nintendo games, so I suspect their popularity may surpass
that of the Atari VCS. "Why does he care?" you ask, quite
reasonably.
   Well, a company called Transfinite Systems (TS) has introduced
a little ADB device called Gold Brick, which provides translations
between a Mac or Apple IIgs and various Nintendo-compatible
controller devices. (Luckily, Transfinite Systems sent us the Gold
Brick manual, because the concept of a controller interface is not
one that is inherently obvious.) Nintendo-controller compatibility
is an interesting ability, because some Nintendo games support 2D
and 3D motion using a number of different controllers. Again, I
haven't seen any of these devices, but Gold Brick can translate
controller input from the Brderbund UForce, the Nintendo Power
Pad, the Enteractive Roll&Rocker and the Mattel Power Glove. (Game
companies are very serious about trademarks, as you can tell.)  Of
these, the only one I know anything about is the Power Glove,
because it is a commercial version of the Data Glove used in the
virtual reality experiments. With the Data Glove (or presumably
the Power Glove), you can move virtual objects around in a virtual
space (viewed through a head-mounted display system).
   Transfinite Systems has chosen an interesting method of
marketing Gold Brick. By designing it to work with inexpensive and
commercially available controllers, Transfinite is using an
existing market to create a potentially new one. The first
applications of Gold Brick will no doubt be ports of Nintendo
games or even communications between the game deck and the Mac
through Gold Brick. However, after some games have broken the
ground, we expect that drivers for the 3D graphics applications
like Swivel 3D and Super 3D will be written. Rotating a 3D solid
with a Power Glove should be a lot easier than doing the same
thing with the mouse. After that, our imagination is the limit for
new methods of controlling virtual objects. Gold Brick's sub-title
is "The Cyberspace Interface," which hints at the cyberspace
environment of William Gibson's "Neuromancer" and "Mona Lisa
Overdrive." For standard applications of today, though, the user
can specify 2D motions or keystrokes for the Gold Brick
translations, allowing people to explore and design alternate
forms of interface manipulators. One way or another, Gold Brick
sounds like it might help introduce the next generation of
controllers.

Transfinite Systems - 617-969-9570

enjoy ... Adam

--
Adam C. Engst            (best)  ace@tidbits.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us
                          soon)  ace@tidbits.uucp

BPorter@world.std.com (Barry M Porter) (12/06/90)

If you are interested in seeing the "Goldbrick" ADB interface for Nintendo,
and will be in the Boston/Cambridge area next Wednesday, December 12, 1990,
come to the Boston Computer Society Macintosh User Group Meeting for a night
of "Mac potpourri". The Goldbrick will be one of a number of items demo'ed.
The meeting starts at 7PM  at the Department of Transportation Center in
Cambridge, on 5 Broadway (opposite the Marriot Hotel).....Barry