[net.columbia] On-board computers

ajs@hpfcla (03/12/86)

> Today on the radio I heard that the crew compartment of the shuttle
> was located and that NASA was going to bring it up.

A newspaper report quoted someone as saying something like, "We're
talking about debris, not a crew compartment, and about remains, not
bodies."

> Now I could see getting information from the recorders, but the
> on-board computers?

The same article quoted a person who worked on the computer systems some
years ago, as saying nothing useful could be gained from retrieving the
systems.

Alan Silverstein

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (03/13/86)

In article <150@sdics.UUCP> wargo@sdics.UUCP (Dave Wargo) writes:
>One question I had was this. The radio said that NASA could get a
>better idea of what went on in the final seconds of the flight from
>the onboard recorders and the computers.

>Even if the computers had not had there bits scattered (ie broken
>pcb's) what info would be left after power was stopped?

The Shuttle computers have non-volatile main memory.  Cycling power on  and
off  doesn't  affect  it's data contents.  This caused much confusion among
new programmers (e.g: me) at Rockwell's lab in Downey, who were used to  no
power  ==  no  memory.  (  :-)  It also caused much amusement among the old
hands).

The effects of sea-water, on the other  hand,  are  less  predictable,  but
certainly not beneficial.

The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp(+)TTI
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.     Geniuses are people so lazy they
Santa Monica, CA  90405   do everything right the first time.
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe