[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Sony monitor with 8 bit color ?

kreyche@ubvax.UB.Com (Tom Kreyche) (12/07/90)

Does anyone know if the Sony KV-1311cr rgb monitor/tv can be used with
an 8-bit color card?

The main question is if it's got sufficient bandwith.

The other is electrical specs. The apple hardware manual doesn't list
voltage specs (or I missed them).

The monitor wants r,g,b at .7 V p-p, 75 ohm terminated.
and composite sync .2 - 1.2 v p-p negative.

Also the mac card has separate grounds for r,g,b,sync; I presume these
could be tied together and attached to a single ground on the monitor.

Is this too much to expect? Thanks for the help.

hodas@saul.cis.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (12/07/90)

In article <35876@ubvax.UB.Com> kreyche@ubvax.UB.Com (Tom Kreyche) writes:
>Does anyone know if the Sony KV-1311cr rgb monitor/tv can be used with
>an 8-bit color card?
>
>The main question is if it's got sufficient bandwith.
>
>The other is electrical specs. The apple hardware manual doesn't list
>voltage specs (or I missed them).
>
>The monitor wants r,g,b at .7 V p-p, 75 ohm terminated.
>and composite sync .2 - 1.2 v p-p negative.

Sorry,  No go.

The 1311cr is not capable of the 640x480 resolution of the mac II 8bit
card.

It can be used on an Amiga to get similar resolution, but only in
interlaced mode.  The mac video is non-interlaced.

I wish it would work, I used to have one and it was a nice monitor
for the price, but it just isn't up to it.

Josh

Josh Hodas    		Home Phone:	     (215) 222-7112
4223 Pine Street	School Office Phone: (215) 898-9514
Philadelphia, PA 19104	New E-Mail Address:  hodas@saul.cis.upenn.edu