[comp.sys.mac.hardware] dead keyboard

jtc@latcs1.oz.au (John Catsoulis) (12/04/90)

I have a standard ADB keyboard which has died. I have located the problem. The
microcontroller (8048HC541) is dead. This is a standard 8 bit controller
made by Philips, NEC, etc, and costs a mere few dollars. Certainly better
than paying for a new keyboard, which is what the dealers have suggested.
The problem is that this device has onboard ROM, so off the shelf devices
won't work (without "burning" their ROMs first).

So, ever hopeful, I rang Apple Customer Support enquiring about the part.
The person I spoke to said that I would not be able to purchase the IC, rather
I'd have to buy a whole new keyboard. "Why?" I asked. The response was,

"Because we choose to provide this support, we cannot supply spare parts."

My mind is still reeling from that one! So has anyone any ideas on how to
solve the problem? I find the attitude that you have to replace the whole
just because a part has failed absolutely incredible.

John.

In article <9298@latcs1.oz.au> jtc@ee.latrobe.edu.au (John Catsoulis) writes:
[microcontroller with on-board ROM failed, Apple says replace keyboard]

>My mind is still reeling from that one! So has anyone any ideas on how to
>solve the problem? I find the attitude that you have to replace the whole
>just because a part has failed absolutely incredible.

If you have access to the equipment, copy the ROM.  (let the lawyers fight out
whether or not that is legal...)

hundt@samadams.princeton.edu (Tom Hundt) (12/11/90)

|I have a standard ADB keyboard which has died. I have located the problem. The
|microcontroller (8048HC541) is dead. This is a standard 8 bit controller
|made by Philips, NEC, etc, and costs a mere few dollars. Certainly better

|The person I spoke to said that I would not be able to purchase the IC, rather
|I'd have to buy a whole new keyboard. "Why?" I asked. The response was,

So, boycott them: buy somebody else's keyboard.  Still not cheap,
though.  Maybe someone here has a spare keyboard...?

-Tom Hundt