[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Cheap file transfer?

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (12/11/90)

In article <4281@s3.ireq.hydro.qc.ca>, houlejm@ireq.hydro.qc.ca (Jean-Marie Houle) writes:
|> If you need only a two nodes Appletalk network You can go without
|> AppleTalk boxes. Just connect the two nodes with a printer cable.
If this is true, presumably one can do file transfer between 2 Macs using
a printer cable and free/PD AppleTalk-based stuff like Public Folder or
the forthcoming personal AppleShare. Has anyone tried this? Sounds a lot
better than shuffling diskettes (not to mention saving wear and tear). If
this is so easy / cheap, why is it not advertized as a "feature"?
--
Philip Machanick

In article <1990Dec10.192045.1724@Neon.Stanford.EDU>, I wrote:
> In article <4281@s3.ireq.hydro.qc.ca>, houlejm@ireq.hydro.qc.ca (Jean-Marie Houle) writes:
> > If you need only a two nodes Appletalk network You can go without
> > AppleTalk boxes. Just connect the two nodes with a printer cable.
> If this is true, presumably one can do file transfer between 2 Macs using
> a printer cable and free/PD AppleTalk-based stuff like Public Folder or
> the forthcoming personal AppleShare. Has anyone tried this?

To answer my own question - I just tried it and it works (using Public
Folder 1.0 and an ImageWriter II cable, I copied a whole bunch of stuff off
an old Plus onto my new cx).
> Sounds a lot
> better than shuffling diskettes (not to mention saving wear and tear). If
> this is so easy / cheap, why is it not advertized as a "feature"?

Seems to work really well - can anyone think of a reason not to do
this?
--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (12/12/90)

In article <1990Dec10.192045.1724@Neon.Stanford.EDU>, philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) writes:

> In article <4281@s3.ireq.hydro.qc.ca>, houlejm@ireq.hydro.qc.ca (Jean-Marie Houle) writes:
> |> If you need only a two nodes Appletalk network You can go without
> |> AppleTalk boxes. Just connect the two nodes with a printer cable.
> If this is true, presumably one can do file transfer between 2 Macs using
> a printer cable and free/PD AppleTalk-based stuff like Public Folder or
> the forthcoming personal AppleShare. Has anyone tried this? Sounds a lot
> better than shuffling diskettes (not to mention saving wear and tear). If
> this is so easy / cheap, why is it not advertized as a "feature"?

This works just fine with Public Folder...

-- michael peirce, creator of Public Folder in a previous life...

--  Michael Peirce         --   {apple,decwrl}!claris!outpost!peirce
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--         and Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554