[comp.sys.mac.hardware] opening Mac SE case

jjones@cs.uiuc.edu (Joel Jones) (12/07/90)

How do you "crack" the case on a Mac SE?  I have unscrewed all the torx screws,
but the thing is still stuck tight as a drum.  I checked the Apple introduction
to Macintosh Hardware, the Apple Guide to designing cards, and a book by Peter
Norton and somebody else.  The best info came from the Peter Norton book
which said, you need a special tool.  Well, where can I get one?
  Joel Jones
  jjones@uiuc.edu
--
Joel Jones      As the advertisment for an exhibition on Leonardo da Vinci said,
jjones@uiuc.edu "They called him a genius, a botanist, a demon, a philosopher, a

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (12/07/90)

In article <1990Dec6.170046.14344@julius.cs.uiuc.edu> jjones@cs.uiuc.edu (Joel Jones) writes:
|How do you "crack" the case on a Mac SE?  I have unscrewed all the torx screws,
|but the thing is still stuck tight as a drum.  I checked the Apple introduction
|to Macintosh Hardware, the Apple Guide to designing cards, and a book by Peter
|Norton and somebody else.  The best info came from the Peter Norton book
|which said, you need a special tool.  Well, where can I get one?

Well, I just held mine face down over the bed and shook it a lot.  Eventually,
the guts dropped onto the bed and I was left holding an empty case.  It still
worked after I put it back together, even.

chaz

--
Someone please release me from this trance.
clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu                                       AOL:Crowbone

clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Kathy Strong) (12/07/90)

In article <2846@ux.acs.umn.edu> clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) writes:
>In article <1990Dec6.170046.14344@julius.cs.uiuc.edu> jjones@cs.uiuc.edu
 (Joel Jones) writes:
>|How do you "crack" the case on a Mac SE?  I have unscrewed all the torx screws,
>|but the thing is still stuck tight as a drum.  I checked the Apple introduction
>
>Well, I just held mine face down over the bed and shook it a lot.  Eventually,
>the guts dropped onto the bed and I was left holding an empty case.  It still
>worked after I put it back together, even.

Here's a hint: be sure that you have removed your programmer ("reset") switch
before you try to take the case apart. Assuming you have...sometimes the
cases are really really tight; others come apart quite easily. There is a
tool that looks sorta like a "clipboard" type clip... you put the lips of it
into the crack and squeezing the handles togther pries the case apart.
However, I, like Chaz, just hold mine face down over the bed and shake.
P.S. Don't hold it very FAR over the bed, unless you want an adrenaline
rush when it finally comes unstuck.

--K

:   Kathy Strong               :  "Try our Hubble-Rita: just one shot,     :
:  (Clouds moving slowly)      :   and everything's blurry"                :
:   clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu  :                           --El Arroyo     :
:..........................................................................:

houch@cs.albany.edu (Joseph Houghtaling) (12/07/90)

Oh for heaven's sake don't shake your Mac over a bed!!!!!!
You remove the Torx screws and the programmer's switch.  Now the tool mentioned
is simply a flat jawed clamp which you can probaby buy at a woodworking supply
place.  I've seen them around.  If you can't find one out and about, fer
Crisake _buy_one_ from MacConnection.  They sell a Torx key, a static wrist
strap and the case opener for 8 bucks.  Buy one before you go shaking your mac
all over the place.  Anyway....let me catch my breath... Anyway you take the
case spreader tool and insert it in the break between the system case and the
bezel (front) and gently spread it apart.  You work your way around the case
don't try to get it all apart in one try.  It works best if you lay your Mac
face down on a soft surface (maybe your bed ;)  ) and lift the back off the
tube etc.

So go out and get yourself a case spreader and save your Mac!!!

regards

j.

--
| joe houghtaling        | "In my opinion television | computer science dept.|
| jh0576@leah.albany.edu |  validates existence."    | suny at albany        |

In article <40817@ut-emx.uucp> clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Kathy Strong) writes:
|In article <2846@ux.acs.umn.edu> clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) writes:
|>In article <1990Dec6.170046.14344@julius.cs.uiuc.edu> jjones@cs.uiuc.edu
| (Joel Jones) writes:
|>|How do you "crack" the case on a Mac SE?
|>
|>Well, I just held mine face down over the bed and shook it a lot.
|
|There is a
|tool that looks sorta like a "clipboard" type clip... you put the lips of it
|into the crack and squeezing the handles togther pries the case apart.

You can get a workable sustitute at any well-stocked office supply store. I
don't know the name of what you would ask for, but someone [Acco, I think] makes
these chrome clips in various sizes.  Buy a real big one and use it as Kathy
describes.

chaz

--

hermens@groucho (12/07/90)

In article <267@karp.albany.edu> houch@karp.albany.edu.UUCP (Joseph Houghtaling) writes:

>Oh for heaven's sake don't shake your Mac over a bed!!!!!!

    That's right...they are built well, but not THAT well!
    But I suppose shaking is preferable to using a hammer on
    the CRT.  :-)  (Don't try this at home.)

Leonard

PS:  I'm done with my hammer...

--
Leonard Hermens     hermens@ted.cs.uidaho.edu
Department of Computer Science

clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Kathy Strong) (12/07/90)

In article <267@karp.albany.edu> houch@karp.albany.edu.UUCP (Joseph Houghtaling) writes:

>Oh for heaven's sake don't shake your Mac over a bed!!!!!!
>...fer
>Crisake _buy_one_ from MacConnection.  They sell a Torx key, a static wrist
>So go out and get yourself a case spreader and save your Mac!!!

Don't get all excitied, Joe... A case spreader is nice if you have one, but
I've used the "shake it open" method for four years now, and haven't broken
my or anyone else's Mac yet.

An additional note for the original poster: PATIENCE is key when working
on the innards of a Mac. If something doesn't come open/apart/away on the
first or second or third try, don't start yanking... instead, take a closer
look and see if something else is in the way, or if it's a keyed connector,
or if you're pulling in the wrong direction.

This is particularly true of the power cable, which has a key that isn't
obvious at first glance. The most spectacular MacAccident I've seen was
when a friend got mad at the power cable for being so ornery and gave it
a good hard tug--the cable didn't come out, but his hand flew into the
neck of the CRT and broke it right off, much to the detriment of the video
quality. :-)

forbes@sp11.csrd.uiuc.edu (Michael Scott Forbes) (12/07/90)

clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Kathy Strong) writes:

>This is particularly true of the power cable, which has a key that isn't
>obvious at first glance. The most spectacular MacAccident I've seen was
>when a friend got mad at the power cable for being so ornery and gave it
>a good hard tug--the cable didn't come out, but his hand flew into the
>neck of the CRT and broke it right off, much to the detriment of the video
>quality. :-)

This is apparently the most common "MacAccident" -- I did this too.
The cable did come out, but cable, hand and all collided with the CRT.
A small glass bead at the neck of the CRT chipped off and rolled away...
Strange hissing (depressurizing) noises emanated from the Mac...

An article in MacUser described the installation process for memory chips,
and warned specifically not to do this.  The article came out about a month
after my Mac came back from the dealer.  :-{

Scott Forbes			Somewhere in a higher dimension of which we
strustee@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu	know nothing, the mighty Khan bellowed with rage

c252-aj@juliet.uucp (Trevor I. Blumenau) (12/07/90)

In article <40829@ut-emx.uucp> clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Kathy Strong) writes:
>In article <267@karp.albany.edu> houch@karp.albany.edu.UUCP (Joseph Houghtaling) writes:
>>
>>Oh for heaven's sake don't shake your Mac over a bed!!!!!!
>>...fer
>>Crisake _buy_one_ from MacConnection.  They sell a Torx key, a static wrist
>>So go out and get yourself a case spreader and save your Mac!!!
>>
>Don't get all excited, Joe... A case spreader is nice if you have one, but
>I've used the "shake it open" method for four years now, and haven't broken
>my or anyone else's Mac yet.

Jeez guys, use the ol' standard metal ruler trick.  Just put the edge of
a ruler in the crack and twist a bit.

No shakes, no money, no problems.
(Don't forget that pesky programmer switch!)

Trevor Blumenau
blumenau@cory.berkeley.edu

wiseman@tellabs.com (Jeff Wiseman) (12/08/90)

In article <9535@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> blumenau@cory.berkeley.edu (Trevor I. Blumenau) writes:

>Jeez guys, use the ol' standard metal ruler trick.  Just put the edge of
>a ruler in the crack and twist a bit.

Don't fergit the ol' double adidas trick...

Hey! I've NEVER opened a mac SE or plus without just putting it face down on a
soft surface, placing one "sneakered" foot on each side and GENTLY massage the
case back and forth until it was loose!

No prying, shaking, or DROPPING!!!

Yessir! I paid a lot for my shoes, I like to get my money's worth!

>(Don't forget that pesky programmer switch!)

Please don't forget the switch! and if it is a Mac Plus, that last hidden screw
in the battery compartment!

--
Jeff Wiseman:	....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM

wittelw@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Walter I. Wittel-Jr) (12/12/90)

I have used 1/2 of a pulled apart wooden clothespin to pry apart the halves.
It doesn't mark up the plastic too much.  The thin end can be wedged into
the crack, and then as it is pushed further into the crack, the case will
spread apart.  Note that you slide the SIDE of the clothespin into the crack,
don't try to drive it into the case like a wedge!

You have to start at a corner, probably the bottom.  Be careful because it
is easy to slip and jam a fingernail.  I have also just put the thin end into
the crack and twisted, gradually working my way around the case, but this
tends to leave faint marks in the edges.

Someone told me about this years ago, and it always seems easier to find a
clothespin then the proper tool.

Good luck,

Walter

P.S. I didn't have the original post, so I just used an RE: to reply.