[comp.sys.mac.hardware] PC emulation questions

spencer@corona.cad.mcc.com (Steve Spencer) (12/13/90)

I'm am interested in buying a Macintosh and would also like to install
a PC emulation board in it. I would be interested in anyones experiences
with these. Also I would like to know which Mac's can be used with these
boards, and what type of graphics are supported by the boards (VGA, EGA, etc.)

Thanks,
Steve
 Steve Spencer        | Phone:  [512] 343-0978
 MCC VLSI-CAD Program | ARPA:   spencer@mcc.com
 P.O. Box 200195      | UUCP:   {ihnp4,seismo,harvard,gatech,pyramid,ut-ngp}
 Austin, TX 78720     |          ...!ut-sally!milano!bell.cad.mcc.com!spencer

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (12/13/90)

In article <SPENCER.90Dec12180727@corona.cad.mcc.com>, spencer@corona.cad.mcc.com (Steve Spencer) writes...

>I'm am interested in buying a Macintosh and would also like to install
>a PC emulation board in it. I would be interested in anyones experiences
>with these. Also I would like to know which Mac's can be used with these
>boards, and what type of graphics are supported by the boards (VGA, EGA, etc.)

      Don't waste your money on a PC emulation board !!!!!

People that need to do PC emulation on Mac II and greater computers
can get XT and AT functionality for only $300 with SoftPC, an all
software emulator published by Insignia Systems.  XT emulation alone
is even cheaper.

This software supports CGA and EGA graphics (not VGA, to my knowledge).
The speed is not blazing, but it beats paying more than the cost of
a AT clone for an emulator board!

I posted a review of this product recently, and would be happy to send
a copy to anyone who is interested.

Bill Johnston (johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu)
Bill Johnston; 38 Chambers St.; Newark, DE 19711; (302)368-1949

woods@convex.com (Darrin Woods) (12/13/90)

In article <SPENCER.90Dec12180727@corona.cad.mcc.com> spencer@corona.cad.mcc.com (Steve Spencer) writes:

>I'm am interested in buying a Macintosh and would also like to install
>a PC emulation board in it. I would be interested in anyones experiences
>with these. Also I would like to know which Mac's can be used with these
>boards, and what type of graphics are supported by the boards (VGA, EGA, etc.)
>

>Thanks,
>Steve

You didn't say which mac you wanted to purchase - but I would recommend
getting Soft PC and running on any 030 mac or the Portable.  It is a lot
cheaper than an emulator board.  The purchasing an emu board, a lot of
times it is cheaper to buy the PC.  Soft PC now supports VGA color graphics
and runs quite well.  I have seen Autocad running on Soft PC on an fx under
Mac OS under A/UX.  Neat stuff!

Blacksheep
Senior Systems Engineer

--
Darrin R. Woods						woods@convex.com

This is a guest account. Convex knows nothing about what I'm saying, or
even that I'm saying it.

woods@convex.com (Darrin Woods) (12/13/90)

>times it is cheaper to buy the PC.  Soft PC now supports VGA color graphics
>and runs quite well.  I have seen Autocad running on Soft PC on an fx under
>Mac OS under A/UX.  Neat stuff!

Sorry, I post a rebutal - my apoligies to Insignia.  If the VGA edition is
not released yet --- let's just say that it would be a natural extension
to their software.

Sorry

Blacksheep
Senior Systems Engineer