[comp.sys.mac.hardware] bad analog board???

swansond@cube05.csus.edu (Dennis Swanson) (12/14/90)

A couple of nights ago I fired up my Mac Plus (Minus?) and saw that the
screen was entirely black except for a line of pixels streaking horizontally
across the top of the screen. After several reboots it went away and I forgot
about it. Well, last night I got the whole left side about 4 pixels wide
streaking across a blank screen, and having been told the day before that
whacking the case a few times might help, I did just that, and with success.
However, I do not wish to continue physically abusing my machine, and someone
told me that the analog board is bad and by running it I'm risking frying the
motherboard also. I know the Plus has sort of a reputation for the power
supply going -- can anyone tell me if this is related? If anyone out there
has had a similar problem, would you please let me know if and how you
resolved it? I've been quoted a price of $186 for a new analog board no more
robust than the one I have, and that scares me.

	Den

: Dennis M. Swanson : Macintosh Lab Assistant/Computer Science Student :
: swansond@csus.edu : University Computing and Communications Services :
:......................................................................:

omh@cs.brown.edu (Owen M. Hartnett) (12/14/90)

In article <1990Dec13.180851.8997@csus.edu> swansond@cube05.csus.edu (Dennis Swanson) writes:
>A couple of nights ago I fired up my Mac Plus (Minus?) and saw that the
>screen was entirely black except for a line of pixels streaking horizontally
>across the top of the screen. After several reboots it went away and I forgot
>about it. Well, last night I got the whole left side about 4 pixels wide
>streaking across a blank screen, and having been told the day before that
>whacking the case a few times might help, I did just that, and with success.
>However, I do not wish to continue physically abusing my machine, and someone
>told me that the analog board is bad and by running it I'm risking frying the
>motherboard also. I know the Plus has sort of a reputation for the power
>supply going -- can anyone tell me if this is related? If anyone out there
>has had a similar problem, would you please let me know if and how you
>resolved it? I've been quoted a price of $186 for a new analog board no more
>robust than the one I have, and that scares me.

Perhaps we can add this one to the list of perennially asked questions???

What you have is probably a cold solder joint - probably under the connector
which carries the yoke plug.  Simply remove the existing solder and resolder
the pins on the plug.  Check the other solder joints just in case.

If that still doesn't work, call SoftSolutions in Eugene, OR to order their
Mac Plus power supply upgrade kit, install all the parts, set the voltage
(requires a digital multimeter), and voila, now you have a power supply that
 is *much* better than the original for less than the price of a replacement.

Detailed directions for this and other Macintosh repairs are found in
Larry Pina's book "Macintosh Repair & Upgrade Secrets" Howard W. Sams,
ISBN 0-672-48452-8.

The phone number for SoftSolutions is: (503) 461-1136. Their address is:
907 River Road, Suite 98, Eugene, OR 97404

-Owen

Owen Hartnett				omh@cs.brown.edu.CSNET
Brown University Computer Science	omh@cs.brown.edu
					uunet!brunix!omh
"Don't wait up for me tonight because I won't be home for a month."