[comp.sys.mac.hardware] WangDAT drive from APS??

wayne@helix.nih.gov (Wayne Rasband) (12/14/90)

I would like to buy a DAT drive to backup a 345MB AppleShare server and to
backup user disks over our Ethernet. The best deal I have seen is the
WangDAT drive with  Retrospect  from Alliance Peripheral Systems(APS) for
$1749. I have two questions. Is the WangDAT a good(reliable) drive and is
APS' support and service as good as they claim it to be in their MacWeek ads?

--wayne

costello@stx.UUCP (Michael E. Costello) (12/14/90)

In article <734@nih-csl.nih.gov>, wayne@helix.nih.gov (Wayne Rasband) writes:
> I would like to buy a DAT drive to backup a 345MB AppleShare server and to
> backup user disks over our Ethernet. The best deal I have seen is the
> WangDAT drive with  Retrospect  from Alliance Peripheral Systems(APS) for
> $1749. I have two questions. Is the WangDAT a good(reliable) drive and is
> APS' support and service as good as they claim it to be in their MacWeek ads?
>
> --wayne

Yes on both counts.  The WangDAT is a reliable drive.  I've been using it
for several months with Retrospect (you need a backup program that supports
helical scan).  My WangDAT is not from APS, but I have personally received
great service from APS, as have others that I know who dealt with them.

==>MC/BCS*Mac          stx!costello@world.std.com

p3ay@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (12/15/90)

In article <734@nih-csl.nih.gov>,
wayne@helix.nih.gov (Wayne Rasband) writes:
> I would like to buy a DAT drive to backup a 345MB AppleShare server and to
> backup user disks over our Ethernet. The best deal I have seen is the
> WangDAT drive with  Retrospect  from Alliance Peripheral Systems(APS) for
> $1749. I have two questions. Is the WangDAT a good(reliable) drive and is
> APS' support and service as good as they claim it to be in their MacWeek ads?
>
> --wayne

We just got one a couple of weeks ago.  Seems to work great!  Very fast and
quiet.  Backup speed (w/ Retrospect) was about 7-9 Megs/min.  Retrospect looks
pretty good but isn't as flexable as I had hoped.  I am still waiting for
the Remote 10-packs to show up so I can try incremental backups over appletalk.
As it now stands, great product.

-Bill
p3ay@vax5.cit.cornell.edu