[comp.sys.mac.hardware] ports

sharvy@reed.UUCP (Harvey Marvy) (11/30/90)

Why can't you have switcher boxes for the slot in the back of the Mac?
That is, connect the port to a box outside the mac which, for every input
from the Mac port, has two (or more) outputs, into which you can then plug
two (or more) devices.  When you want to switch from, say, using a color
monitor to using a midi system, you just switch the leads.

Ben.

woods@convex.com (Darrin Woods) (12/15/90)

In article <15743@reed.UUCP> sharvy@reed.UUCP (Harvey Marvy) writes:

>Why can't you have switcher boxes for the slot in the back of the Mac?
>That is, connect the port to a box outside the mac which, for every input
>from the Mac port, has two (or more) outputs, into which you can then plug
>two (or more) devices.  When you want to switch from, say, using a color
>monitor to using a midi system, you just switch the leads.
>
>Ben.

Becuase Nubus cards are intelligent devices and the mac is not going to
appreciate someone throwing a switch and then not being able to find it's
monitor (or whatever) but finding something that wasn't there before.

Smae thing happens when you pull a Nubus card from a running mac - the mac
will instantly (usually) go boom.

You would have to switch them with the power off, and we all know that
if someone marketed such a switch, then someone would blow one of their
boards when they switched it with the power on and then there would be
lawsuits......

Sorry, I'm in a rambling mood.

Blacksheep
Senior Systems Engineer

--
Darrin R. Woods						woods@convex.com

This is a guest account. Convex knows nothing about what I'm saying, or
even that I'm saying it.