[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac vendors

roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (12/15/90)

darweesh@zephyrus.crd.ge.com (Michael Darweesh) writes:
> I've had some VERY bad experiences with [MacProducts USA]

	Personally, I've never found any reason to deal with anybody other
than MacConnection (assuming they carry the item I need).  Not only do they
consistantly have the lowest (or very nearly so) prices, but they provide
great service, ship everything overnight for $3, unconditionally guarantee
everthing they sell (as in, "I bought this program, but after playing with
it for 2 weeks, I've decided It's not really what I need", "no problem, just
send it back and we'll refund your full purchase price") and are just plain
a class operation.  They even a;peal to my environmental streak by not using
styrofoam packing material, and not printing their catalog on glossy paper.

	The only thing they consistantly get undersold on is memory; I think
their catalog lists about $60/meg when the MacWeek price du jour is down
around $40.  On the other hand, memory prices are so volitile, you can't
really expect a volume-printed catalog to be competitive with MacWeek ads.
Given MacConnection's generally class act, however, I wouldn't be surprised
if when you called them to order it, their prices were actually lower than
what's in the catalog.  I know that the last time I ordered Sony HD
floppies, they told me they were having a special and I got them for
considerably less than the catalog price.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"Arcane?  Did you say arcane?  It wouldn't be Unix if it wasn't arcane!"

clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Kathy Strong) (12/15/90)

In article <1990Dec14.235558.12776@phri.nyu.edu> roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith)
writes:
>	Personally, I've never found any reason to deal with anybody other
>than MacConnection (assuming they carry the item I need).  Not only do they

Well, there IS one... they don't accept American Express. I know that Amex
charges merchants a lot, but Zone and Warehouse both accept Amex, no
surcharge. If Connection took my plastic, I'd buy from them instead of
the other two, but they don't.

>consistantly have the lowest (or very nearly so) prices, but they provide
>great service, ship everything overnight for $3, unconditionally guarantee
>everthing they sell (as in, "I bought this program, but after playing with
>it for 2 weeks, I've decided It's not really what I need", "no problem, just
>send it back and we'll refund your full purchase price") and are just plain

I don't believe that's true, actually--for example, call and ask if they have
a money-back guarantee on the Orchid FaxModem. Generally, though, their
return policy is as generous or more so than other mail-order firms.

>a class operation.  They even a;peal to my environmental streak by not using
>styrofoam packing material, and not printing their catalog on glossy paper.
>
>	The only thing they consistantly get undersold on is memory; I think
>their catalog lists about $60/meg when the MacWeek price du jour is down
>around $40.  On the other hand, memory prices are so volitile, you can't
>really expect a volume-printed catalog to be competitive with MacWeek ads.
>Given MacConnection's generally class act, however, I wouldn't be surprised
>if when you called them to order it, their prices were actually lower than
>what's in the catalog.  I know that the last time I ordered Sony HD
>floppies, they told me they were having a special and I got them for
>considerably less than the catalog price.

That's so--when I ordered some Bitstream fonts from Connection (for work--
THEY have a Mastercard :-) , they sent me the package along with an invoice
that showed a lower-than-quoted price AND a $30 refund check, all in the same
package. Man, that's service.

In brief, I heartily second the endorsement for MacConnection (except for
the Amex non-support, of course). MacWarehouse's catalogs are always fun
to look through, also; and I find that MacZone seems to be catering to the
graphic design market a little more than the other two--for example, they
were advertising the Pantone Process Color Imaging Guide (they called it
Pantone Computer Color Guide or somesuch, I think) as soon as it was released,
at about 35% off Pantone's exorbitant price.

--K

:   Kathy Strong               :  "Try our Hubble-Rita: just one shot,     :
:  (Clouds moving slowly)      :   and everything's blurry"                :
:   clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu  :                           --El Arroyo     :