[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Digitizing tablets

ffdkl@acad3.alaska.edu (LaSota Daniel K) (12/06/90)

Hi,
Any advice on whoping big digitizing tablets for the Mac?
This would be for digitizing USGS maps.
Any software to go along?
Thanks
Ant Man!
Dan LaSota
ftdkl@acad3.fai.alaska.edu

cckweiss@pollux (12/06/90)

In article <1990Dec5.193354.18743@ims.alaska.edu> ffdkl@acad3.alaska.edu writes:
>Hi,
>Any advice on whoping big digitizing tablets for the Mac?
>This would be for digitizing USGS maps.
>Any software to go along?
>Thanks
>Ant Man!
>Dan LaSota
>ftdkl@acad3.fai.alaska.edu

I've been using a Summagraphics Bit Pad ADB for over a year now. It was
very flakey at first, but two driver updates later, I'm happy with it.
Summa makes tablets up to drawing table size, I think.

Shortly after I bought my Summa, I saw the Wacom digitizing table and
loved it. It features a cordless, batteryless, pressure sensitive stylus
that's the size, weight and balance of a ballpoint pen. Absolutely
wonderful response, too. The only problem was, it's a serial device.
Since I've already got a printer and a modem hooked up, it will be A/B
switch time when I get one of the Wacom tablets. I don't know how big
the Wacom's get, but I remember seeing some pretty large ones, two or
three feet wide.

In either case, bring your checkbook with you when shopping for a large
bit pad. Once you move above the standard 8x11 active area, prices rise
rapidly

Ken Weiss
krweiss@ucdavis.edu
.

MARK.HOLLINGSWORTH@f1.n354.z1.FIDONET.ORG (MARK HOLLINGSWORTH) (12/11/90)

My brother has a digitizing tablet that I have briefly tried.It works very
well.I can't remember the brand.I'l talk to him,get his opinion& let you
know.
\

-->  Lininger Utilities Distribution Site<--

--
MARK HOLLINGSWORTH via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!354!1!MARK.HOLLINGSWORTH

MARK.HOLLINGSWORTH@f1.n354.z1.FIDONET.ORG (MARK HOLLINGSWORTH) (12/17/90)

>>Any advice on whoping big digitizing tablets for the Mac?
>>This would be for digitizing USGS maps.
>>Any software to go along?
>>Thanks
>>Ant Man!
>>Dan LaSota
>>ftdkl@acad3.fai.alaska.edu

I have a Kurta tablet; it's 12"x17" and uses the ADB port.
They do make larger ones, but I suspect those get quite
expensive. This one was over $600. Kurta does offer this
tablet as part of a special package that includes templates
for Aldus products--it might be a good deal now since there
is some sort of promo on.
The Mac Zone (in Redmond,WA. also in Mac mags) sells
Kurta tablets. These things are very accurate and seem to
work well with most software, if you remember the one
big limitation: they use a screen map so you can not zoom
in and out of your graphic.. I use Stepping Out and set the
 screen to match the size of the tablet. That works quite well,
 or at least fairly well on the 9" screen.
I wouldn't consider buying a smaller tablet for most serious
work. I'd also suggest trying the tablet with your software
if possible.

 I can't E-mail this,so I had to post it .