[comp.sys.mac.hardware] M68851 SCAM ???

hansm@dutecah.et.tudelft.nl (Hans Mulder) (12/11/90)

I just bought two M68851 from MacProducts USA for use in Mac IIs.
Examining the two chips I noticed that they were both blackened on
that part of the number which indicates the clock frequency.

Examining these blacked-out spots better reveiled that the chips I
bought were actually 12 Mhz parts instead of 16 Mhz parts.

I am about to return them. Is this usual practice? did this happen to
you? did you return them? are they jerks?

Hans Mulder
hansm@dutecah.et.tudelft.nl

MTHOLDWI@MTUS5.BITNET (Holdwick, Marc T.) (12/12/90)

That is a common tactic in the MS-DOS clone market.  A computer chip such as a
microprocessor, coprocessor or MMU is stamped with a number indicating its
rated speed.  This is the speed that the manufacturer GUARANTEES that it will
run at.  Many chips however can be "pushed".  This means that it can be run a
LITTLE faster, but it runs HOTTER than normal and may CRASH occasionally, or
all the time depending on how much it is being pushed.

I would be VERY wary of any company that would sell you a chip like that!
I was considering ordering a few things from them, but then again, maybe I
won't!

jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (George Jefferson ) (12/12/90)

>..... MacProducts USA.....
>are they jerks?

yes.

--
-george   @sol1.lrsm.upenn.edu

hamilton@kickapoo.cs.iastate.edu (Jon Hamilton) (12/14/90)

jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (George Jefferson ) writes:

>>..... MacProducts USA.....
>>are they jerks?

>yes.

this may be more annoying than anything else, but I just _had_ to jump in here
and agree.  I would no more do business with them again than I would pick my
nose with a hot fireplace poker.

-jon

darweesh@zephyrus.crd.ge.com (Michael Darweesh) (12/14/90)

>>>..... MacProducts USA.....
>>>are they jerks?
>>yes.
>
>this may be more annoying than anything else, but I just _had_ to jump in here
>and agree.  I would no more do business with them again than I would pick my
>nose with a hot fireplace poker.
>-jon

Well, picking your nose with a hot fireplace poker IS fun, but I'm gonna have
to add to MacProducts USA's bad press.
I've had some VERY bad experiences with them. Yea, they're well priced if
you buy a "Magic" product, but my Magic Modem didn't work and they haven't
refunded my credit card yet (6 monthes).

-Mike Darweesh
weesh@crd.ge.com

jack@Taffy.rice.edu (Jack W. Howarth) (12/16/90)

In article <14829@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> darweesh@zephyrus.crd.ge.com (Michael Darweesh) writes:

>Well, picking your nose with a hot fireplace poker IS fun, but I'm gonna have
>to add to MacProducts USA's bad press.
>I've had some VERY bad experiences with them. Yea, they're well priced if
>you buy a "Magic" product, but my Magic Modem didn't work and they haven't
>refunded my credit card yet (6 monthes).
>
>-Mike Darweesh
>weesh@crd.ge.com

Mike,
    Which Magic modem did you buy? I got the 2400 v42-bis MNP5 modem and its
great (Rockwell modem chip set too). Considering that an equivalent Hayes
V-series modem is $439, the Magic modem at $199 was a steal.
                     Cheers
                          Jack Howarth
p.s. If you got a vanilla 2400...well I don't believe they work well without
some sort of error checking or a very very good chip set.

Bruce.Hoult@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (12/17/90)

darweesh@zephyrus.crd.ge.com (Michael Darweesh) writes:

>I've had some VERY bad experiences with them. Yea, they're well priced if
>you buy a "Magic" product, but my Magic Modem didn't work and they haven't
>refunded my credit card yet (6 monthes).

I hate to run against the popular trend, but I'm *very* happy with my US$85
2400 bps "Magic Modem".  Ok the thing isn't exactly solidly built, but then
I'm not planning on jumping on it.

It seems to be more resistant to line noise than many other modems, and it
has virtually every feature I want, other than MNP.  In particular, I was
delighted to find that it detects (quickly and reliably) "No Dialtone" and
"Busy" conditions -- something that a well-known Australian brand 2400 bps
modem selling for NZ$1600 (US$1000) doesn't do....  (no names, but can you
say "1234"?)

For 85 bux you can't go wrong, IMHO...
--
Bruce.Hoult@bbs.actrix.gen.nz   Twisted pair: +64 4 772 116
BIX: brucehoult                 Last Resort:  PO Box 4145 Wellington, NZ