[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Two Page Displays

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (12/13/90)

I see two page (monochrome) displays for Macs advertised at
pretty reasonable prices. (around $1200 for 19 inch tubes).
The ones we have at work seem to work ok with acceptable
performance.

If I try to run my Super VGA IBM PC clone at 1024x768 in
Windows, it works but the performance is intolerably slow.

And I don't even get a full page, much less two full pages.
And of course, for $1200 all you can get is a 16 inch tube
without graphics adaptor. It is color but I don't need that.

For word processing, Macs seem better, unless there are some
nice big, fast, inexpensive TPDs for PCs that aren't being
advertised.

Any comments?

--
We (in San Jose, CA) need at least another two years of drought:
then the farm water subsidies might be given the attention they deserve.

In article <1990Dec13.051945.2048@amd.com> phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:

| For word processing, Macs seem better, unless there are some
| nice big, fast, inexpensive TPDs for PCs that aren't being
| advertised.

  The slow display performance is caused by slow drivers, and because
the chip design effects performance may or may not be correctable.

  Many people tell me the the VRAM and ATIwonder+ are much faster, and
the one ATI I've seen running wondows at work seems to bear this out.
How much is due to hardware or software I can't say.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (12/18/90)

davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (Wm E. Davidsen Jr) writes:

>  The slow display performance is caused by slow drivers, and because
>the chip design effects performance may or may not be correctable.

>  Many people tell me the the VRAM and ATIwonder+ are much faster, and
>the one ATI I've seen running wondows at work seems to bear this out.
>How much is due to hardware or software I can't say.

But the Mac TPDs show two pages. The PC Super-duper VGA 1024x768 displays
running W4W doesn't even show a complete page. What's going on?