[comp.sys.mac.hardware] TokenTalk: Does it look like ordinary AppleTalk?

time@tbomb.ice.com (Tim Endres) (12/18/90)

Someone has asked me if TokenTalk can be used with the CTB.

The real question is:

   Does TokenTalk come with an INIT or other installation which makes
   it appear exactly like AppleTalk to the application?

If this is true, then I should be able to use the AppleTalk ADSP Tool
under the CTB to communicate over TokenTalk just as if it were AppleTalk
cable - correct?

Thanks,
tim.

shoemake@Apple.COM (Mike Shoemaker) (12/18/90)

time@tbomb.ice.com (Tim Endres) writes:

>Someone has asked me if TokenTalk can be used with the CTB.

>The real question is:

>   Does TokenTalk come with an INIT or other installation which makes
>   it appear exactly like AppleTalk to the application?

To the first question, yes, TokenTalk is another network link just like
EtherTalk.  It does come with an INIT called A/ROSE which loads some non-
TokenTalk related code onto the CPU on the TokenRing card.  This is
Apple's implementation.  There are 3rd party solutions that do not involve
the A/ROSE init.

TokenTalk is the file that goes in your system folder and is called an 'ADEV'.
ADEVs provide the 'glue' between the network card (TokenRing or Ethernet) and
the AppleTalk protocol stack.  (The 'glue' for the built-in LocalTalk port
is currently linked in as part of the protocol stack.)

>If this is true, then I should be able to use the AppleTalk ADSP Tool
>under the CTB to communicate over TokenTalk just as if it were AppleTalk
>cable - correct?

Sorry for the lecture above, but the simple answer is 'TokenTalk is an
AppleTalk cable.', so yes, the ADSP tool will work.

Mike Shoemaker
Author, AppleTalk ADSP Connection Tool
Apple Computer, Inc.