[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Booting from Emulex SCSI to ESDI adapter

mjw@encore.com (Mike Willegal) (12/15/90)

I have an old emulex SCSI to ESDI controller connected to a WREN III.  I have
the file system mounted and operational. The only problem seems to be booting.

I have to boot using SCSI PROBE from the control panel.

The boot sequence results in one of two things:

a) Driver set to do blind reads,  systems crashes sometimes with crazy video
sometimes with sad mac 0003.

b) Driver set to do regular reads,  System hangs with happy mac icon on screen.

Any one got any ideas?

Thanks in advance - Mike

glb@yarra.oz.au (George Budahazy) (12/19/90)

From pta!metro!munnari.oz.au!uunet!snorkelwacker.mit.edu!hsdndev!husc6!encore!mjw Wed Dec 19 13:30:16 EST 1990
Article 10687 of comp.sys.mac.hardware:
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.hardware,comp.sys.mac.programmer
Subject: Booting from Emulex SCSI to ESDI adapter
Date: 14 Dec 90 18:17:45 GMT

>I have an old emulex SCSI to ESDI controller connected to a WREN III.  I have
>the file system mounted and operational. The only problem seems to be booting.
>
>I have to boot using SCSI PROBE from the control panel.
>
>The boot sequence results in one of two things:
>
>a) Driver set to do blind reads,  systems crashes sometimes with crazy video
>sometimes with sad mac 0003.
>

>b) Driver set to do regular reads,  System hangs with happy mac icon on screen.
>
>Any one got any ideas?
>
>Thanks in advance - Mike

I have a Emulex MD21 controller driving a Micropolis 1325 disk (130 MB) ex SUN
shoe box. The software driver is Silver Lining 5.17, on a Mac SE 6.0.4. This
config has been working fine for 18 months. Now, this same drive will not
work properly with a Mac Plus and it has something to do with the way the
SCSI chip polls the device and requires booting from a floppy before the
drive will be recognised.

I hope this has been some help, if I can be of some more help mail me.

PS. Mike I tried to mail you direct but I got a mail message User Unknown, our
software people think its a problem on your end. You may wish to check it out.

Regards.

      -m-------   George Budahazy - Victoria Engineering Manager   glb@yarra.oz
    ---mmm-----   Pyramid Technology Corporation Pty. Ltd.  fax  +61 3 521 3799
  -----mmmmm---   1st Floor, 553 St. Kilda Road             tel. +61 3 525 1730