[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Big screens for little Macs? Help sought.

1k1mgm@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Christopher Gunn) (12/13/90)

Does anyone have any experience (or pointers to good recent reviews)
on big (or at least biggER) monochrome displays for little Macs
(i.e., Plus, SE, 'Classic')?  I've always considered such a thing
an exercise in futility--costing more than the box you'd plug it
into--but recently I've seen them advertised in the $500 range for
page-view portrait monitors and <$1K for alleged 2-pg. monitors.
Vendors that come to mind are Mirror Technologies and Ehman, although
there may be others.  I assume some of these things are basically
in blow-up-the-pixels mode, but Mirror, at least, claims 72 dpi.

Advice would be appreciated.

Christopher Gunn	Molecular Graphics & Modeling Lab
913-864-4428 or -4495	Department of Medicinal Chemistry, Malott Hall
			University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS  66045

clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Kathy Strong) (12/14/90)

In article <27433.2766ada8@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> 1k1mgm@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
(Christopher Gunn) writes:
>Does anyone have any experience (or pointers to good recent reviews)
>on big (or at least biggER) monochrome displays for little Macs
>(i.e., Plus, SE, 'Classic')?  I've always considered such a thing

Christopher, I collected information on full-page monochrome monitors for
the Plus/SE just a few weeks ago. I'm sending you the summary in email.
If anyone else is interested, please drop me a line and I'll send it to
you also.

--Kathy

:   Kathy Strong               :  "Try our Hubble-Rita: just one shot,     :
:  (Clouds moving slowly)      :   and everything's blurry"                :
:   clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu  :                           --El Arroyo     :
:..........................................................................:

rba@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Richard Alvarez) (12/17/90)

In article <41313@ut-emx.uucp> clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Kathy Strong) writes:
>In article <27433.2766ada8@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> 1k1mgm@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
>(Christopher Gunn) writes:
>>Does anyone have any experience (or pointers to good recent reviews)
>>on big (or at least biggER) monochrome displays for little Macs
>>(i.e., Plus, SE, 'Classic')?  I've always considered such a thing
>
>Christopher, I collected information on full-page monochrome monitors for
>the Plus/SE just a few weeks ago. I'm sending you the summary in email.
>If anyone else is interested, please drop me a line and I'll send it to
>you also.

I think all of us need that information.
Is it possible to post it on the net.

Also I have a question about a big screen with new
Mac's. Is there an available card for Mac Classic?

anthony@chook.adelaide.edu.au (Anthony Dunstan) (12/17/90)

Strong) writes:
> [...]

DO NOT buy a Nutmeg card for an SE, the software needed to support
the monitor crashes 'PrintMonitor'.  It's an INIT called "Visions" and when you
have Background Printing ON it will crash for you MOST OF THE TIME!!...

I am told that software patches will ALWAYS be required
for Plus/SE Nutmeg cards, and if such patches aren't compatible with
System software, well... it's pathetic really.

|>  [STUFF DELETED]

|> Also I have a question about a big screen with new
|> Mac's. Is there an available card for Mac Classic?

As far as I know the Classic does not have a slot for such a card,
so the answer to your question is an easy one....   NO.

Also, the poor old little Macs just can't handle the extra refreshing
required by bigger monitors.  It is SLOW believe me.

   Anthony.

|   Anthony Dunstan         University of Adelaide Apple Consortium     |
| A Macintosh CyberMan           anthony@cs.adelaide.edu.au             |

DISCLAIMER: ALL OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THIS ARTICLE
ARE **DEFINATELY** MY OWN, AND NOT THOSE OF
MY EMPLOYER.

woods@convex.com (Darrin Woods) (12/18/90)

>|> Also I have a question about a big screen with new
>|> Mac's. Is there an available card for Mac Classic?
>
>As far as I know the Classic does not have a slot for such a card,
>so the answer to your question is an easy one....   NO.
>
>Also, the poor old little Macs just can't handle the extra refreshing
>required by bigger monitors.  It is SLOW believe me.
>   Anthony.

There are not any cards available as there is not slot, but Radius and a
few others have announced cards that will work with the classic.  They
will use the same type of scab clip on used in the early Mac pluses for
attaching things to the CPU without any type of bus.  As to the slow,
it won't be any slower than on an SE, and if Radius is producing such
a connection, I'm sure that they will also try to provide for an accelerator
card to attach as well.

Blacksheep
Senior Systems Engineer

--
Darrin R. Woods						woods@convex.com

This is a guest account. Convex knows nothing about what I'm saying, or
even that I'm saying it.

c60a-cz@danube.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Burr) (12/18/90)

Also, ComputerCare is manufacturing a RAM upgrade, called Mac Stretch.
It comes with 1 MB on board, plus two SIMM slots (you cna use 256K or 1MB
SIMMs).  It also has expansion port for future upgrades, one of which will
allow you to plug a larger monitor into the classic.

Other upgrades include:
Ram disk -- up to 16 MB seperate from main system memeory
for a dedicated RAM disk, you can use any type of simm including 4MB sims

Possible networking card -- ethernet, token ring, who knows?

I'm using the Mac Stretch, and have had no problems with it.  It was pretty
easy to install, and I have not had any compatibility problems, even running
System 7 (of course I can't use the virtual memory part of Sys7... oh well..)
Donald Burr, Univ of California, Berkeley | "I have a seperate mail-address
INTERNET: c60a-cz@danube.Berkeley.edu     | for flames and other such nega-
      or: 72540.3071@compuserve.COM       | tive msgs; it's called /dev/null."

clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Kathy Strong) (12/19/90)

In article <25951@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> rba@beach.cis.ufl.edu () writes:

>> [request for info on big screens for Pluses/SEs]
>
>I think all of us need that information.
>Is it possible to post it on the net.

You have probably seen it by now: it was headed "Re: Big screens for little
Macs? PLEASE, NO MORE MAIL!!" (heheh). For anyone who missed it... well, I'm
NOT going to offer to mail it again. Maybe I'll just post it every three
weeks or something... :-)

The summary of the summary is: Mobius's full-page monitor/16MHz 68000
accelerator combo got the thumbs up from actual owners, as did Mirror's
Pixelview monitors (cheaper, slower). One negative review on Ehman, lots
of suggestions from people who had seen, but apparently did not own, other
models. If anyone has other first-hand experience, why not post it? I'll
try to capture and add to my monitor summary file.

>Also I have a question about a big screen with new
>Mac's. Is there an available card for Mac Classic?

Not yet, but I'd look for someone to find a way, lack of slot notwithstanding.
After all, Pluses don't have slots either...