[comp.sys.mac.hardware] IIsi SIMM upgrade path?

morris@ucunix.san.uc.edu (Ted Morris) (12/18/90)

Lemme' try this again--since my last post got no replies:

I have just ordered a IIsi 2/40.  What are my memory upgrade chunks?
Apple also sells this as a 5/40 bundle; I assume they take 1M of memory
out (256K SIMMs?) and replace it with 4M (1M SIMMs?).  If, as I am led
to believe, this machine will accept 4M SIMMS, what are the possible
upgrade chunk sizes available for this machine?  Are there 2 banks of
4-SIMM sockets each, as in the other modular Macs?  What's the story on
mixing 4M SIMMs in one bank and 256K SIMMs or 1M SIMMs in another (I
know already about not mixing SIMMs in the same bank, nor different
speeds in the same bank; see other thread (-: )?

Thanks for any comments...

Ted Morris		giving up on cutesy .sigs for a while...

boris@world.std.com (Boris Levitin) (12/19/90)

morris@ucunix.san.uc.edu (Ted Morris) writes:

>Lemme' try this again--since my last post got no replies:

>I have just ordered a IIsi 2/40.  What are my memory upgrade chunks?

The IIsi has 1MB RAM soldered to the motherboard and one four-bank
"row" of SIMM slots.  Each bank has to be filled with the same size
SIMM with a speed of at least 100ns.  Therefore you may have 2MB
(4x256kB), 5MB (4x1MB), 9MB (4x2MB) or 17MB (4x4MB).

dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) (12/19/90)

>I have just ordered a IIsi 2/40.  What are my memory upgrade chunks?

The upgrades are to 5 and 17 Meg; I do not believe you can mix SIMM
sizes, so there are no intermediates.

>Apple also sells this as a 5/40 bundle; I assume they take 1M of memory
>out (256K SIMMs?) and replace it with 4M (1M SIMMs?).

Yes.  However, I have only heard of a 5/80 bundle from Apple; the 5/40
must be something your dealer is doing.

>  If, as I am led
>to believe, this machine will accept 4M SIMMS, what are the possible
>upgrade chunk sizes available for this machine?  Are there 2 banks of
>4-SIMM sockets each, as in the other modular Macs?

As in the Mac+, there is one bank, holding 4 SIMMs.  Replacing SIMMs
is very similar to the Mac+, but the SIMM holders are better built.

>  What's the story on
>mixing 4M SIMMs in one bank and 256K SIMMs or 1M SIMMs in another (I
>know already about not mixing SIMMs in the same bank, nor different
>speeds in the same bank; see other thread (-: )?

I wouldn't try mixing sizes; mixing speeds is OK so long as they are
all fast enough for the machine.

>Thanks for any comments...

I bought a IIsi 2/40 about a week and a half ago, and almost
immediately discovered I had seriously miscalculated my memory
requirements.  I used a Mac+ with 1 Meg for a long time, with few
problems; I thought 2 Meg would be enough, for a while, on the IIsi.
Wrong.

Color pictures really eat memory fast.  The larger (13" hi-res) screen
eats memory.  The larger screen makes MultiFinder much more useable
than on the Plus, and MultiFinder eats memory.  And let's not even
talk about what a color backdrop does....

I bought 4 1-Meg SIMMs and installed them last night.

BTW, I bought the SIMMs from Peripheral Products, $39 each, plus $8
S&H, plus 2% surcharge for Visa; total, $168.92.  You can do a little
better buying from the Chip Merchant, but then you have to hassle with
C. O. D.

>Ted Morris		giving up on cutesy .sigs for a while...

-- Dave Matuszek (dave@prc.unisys.com)
-- Unisys Corp. / Paoli Research Center / PO Box 517 / Paoli PA  19301
-- Any resemblance between my opinions and those of my employer is improbable.
< You can put a mouse on an IBM.  And you can put a radio on a motorcycle. >