[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Start-up delays

kevinm@telxon.UUCP (Kevin Maisano) (12/11/90)

	I apologize if this is a repeated posting but alot of our news
	has recently bounced.  Given that I have not received any
	it to the net.  Here is my posting (again):

	I recently upgraded my Mac Plus from 1 MEG to 4 MEGS of
	memory.  Ever since this upgrade, I am experiencing extended
	start-up delays prior to getting the "Happy Mac".  The screen
	is white during this time and no obvious disk activity is
	taking place.

	In a previous posting I incorrectly stated that this delay was
	approximately 15 seconds.  Yesterday I decided to put a watch
	to this event and found to my surprise that the time is exactly
	30 seconds!  I performed the following test numerous times:
	First I would issue the Shutdown command, power the Mac OFF and
	then power it ON again.  Every time it would delay for 30 seconds.

	Are diagnostics being performed that would cause this delay now that
	I have upgraded to 4 MEGS?  Is there something that needs to be
	reconfigured with my system?  Is this delay normal?  Has anyone else
	who upgraded his/her system seen this behavior?  Any and all
	help would be appreciated!

	Thanks in advance....

	- Kevin
--
Kevin Maisano      <|> ...!uunet!telxon!kevinm <|> telxon!kevinm@uunet.uu.net
Software Engineer  <|> 	"Remember folks...this is NOT a competition,

nwc1@quads.uchicago.edu (einsturzende neubaten) (12/13/90)

Speaking of the delay with a Plus and 4 Megs, My room mate's SE is also
having the same problem. He's got 2.5 Megs, and this is the only real
new thing that he's gotten. Running a 20M Apple internal, system 6.0.5
except for Multifinder 6.1b9, and it takes FOREVER for the mac to boot.
It wasn't doing this before!@!!##% SLOW!!!

Any, any ANY ideas? Killing INITs etc. doesn't matter.

later!

ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) (12/13/90)

The memory-test delay is that interval between the initial beep and
the appearance of the smiling Mac icon (which signals the commencement
of the boot sequence). We have a four-meg SE which has a memory-test
delay of about 10 seconds. Doesn't sound like much, unless you're
standing there, waiting...

Lawrence D'Oliveiro                       fone: +64-71-562-889
Computer Services Dept                     fax: +64-71-384-066
University of Waikato            electric mail: ldo@waikato.ac.nz
Hamilton, New Zealand    37^ 47' 26" S, 175^ 19' 7" E, GMT+13:00
Part-time promoter of Wunderbar chocolate.

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (12/14/90)

Would it help to reduce the disk power-on warm-up period (stored in
the PRAM)?

Or is the warm-up period automatically shortened when more memory is
installed?

ireland@ac.dal.ca (12/18/90)

In article <1990Dec12.210454.4575@midway.uchicago.edu>, nwc1@quads.uchicago.edu (einsturzende neubaten) writes:
> Speaking of the delay with a Plus and 4 Megs, My room mate's SE is also
> having the same problem. He's got 2.5 Megs, and this is the only real
> new thing that he's gotten. Running a 20M Apple internal, system 6.0.5
> except for Multifinder 6.1b9, and it takes FOREVER for the mac to boot.
> It wasn't doing this before!@!!##% SLOW!!!
>
> Any, any ANY ideas? Killing INITs etc. doesn't matter.
>
> later!

Here are two things I do which minimize this problem.
1) don't turn the computer off, an obvious way to avoid having to reboot.
   I leave my mac+ on for weeks at a time, only turning it off when I'm
   going to be out of town for 2 or more days.

2) bypass the memory check at boot time which is causing the problem.
   This is done by holding down the mouse button for a second or so
   as the machine is turned on or restarted. This reduces the amount of
   time required to boot.

Keith Conover

cnv77@bnr.ca (Glenn Henshaw) (12/20/90)

In article <2477@ac.dal.ca> ireland@ac.dal.ca writes:
>In article <1990Dec12.210454.4575@midway.uchicago.edu>, nwc1@quads.uchicago.edu (einsturzende neubaten) writes:
>> Speaking of the delay with a Plus and 4 Megs, My room mate's SE is also
>> having the same problem. He's got 2.5 Megs, and this is the only real
>> new thing that he's gotten. Running a 20M Apple internal, system 6.0.5
>> except for Multifinder 6.1b9, and it takes FOREVER for the mac to boot.
>> It wasn't doing this before!@!!##% SLOW!!!
>>
>> Any, any ANY ideas? Killing INITs etc. doesn't matter.

  You might look for an extra System file in a folder on the top level.
If the Mac seems to hang doing nothing for a few minutes this might
be the problem. I found this by accident when upgrading a system
folder but wanting to keep an old copy around just in case.
--
Glenn Henshaw               |       (613) 763-3963    cnv77@BNR.CA
Bell-Northern Research,     |    UUCP: uunet!bnrgate!bcara278!cnv77