[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Hard Drives...

jalden@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Joshua M. Alden) (11/18/89)

In article <5488@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> jgt@uhccux.UUCP (John Tsang) writes:
>In article <89110303365844@masnet.uucp> henry.matejko@canremote.uucp (HENRY MATEJKO) writes:
>>I need to move up to a 40-60 Meg hard drive for my Mac.  I would
>
>The article listed on the Summary line (of this article) has
>a very good review of a few very inexpensive hard disks:
>
>Ehman/Cutting Edge 32, Microtech Nova 40, Mirror Technologies M30
>$479/$749		$649			$587

>I would go for Microtech Nova 40, because it uses the faster
>Quantum drive with the Claimed Access time (ms) of 19, and,
>5 years warranty.
>
>	I doubt there will be any better deal than this.

    There are much better deals.  I work a bit over 20 hours a week at
the Kiewit Computation Center here at Dartmouth.  I repair hard drives,
among other things.  Two years ago, Dartmouth endorsed the Novas as the
drive for the incoming freshmen, and we in User Services have been
fixing them ever since.  They tend to break, quite a bit.  They can't be
re-named without being re-formatted.  You can't update the System on a
Nova without completely re-formatting and re-installing.

    Don't touch the Novas!

    The above two paragraphs come from my experience working with Novas
in a professional capacity.

    My own personal opinion, which has nothing to do with my
employers or my job, but with my personal experience at home, is that
you can't go wrong with the drives from La Cie.  I've had one for over a
year now, and I've never had any problem with it.  Neither have the four
other people that I know have them.  They're fast, quiet, portable, and
they come bundled with disk management software that was rated #1 by
MacUser, if memory serves.

    They advertise in MacWeek.

    Good luck!

-Josh.

--
 /--------------------------------------------------+-------------------------\
 |Josh Alden, Consultant, Kiewit Computation Center | HB 48, Dartmouth College|

changwoo@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Chang P. Woo) (11/19/89)

In article <17064@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> jalden@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
(Joshua M. Alden) writes:
>>I would go for Microtech Nova 40, because it uses the faster
>>Quantum drive with the Claimed Access time (ms) of 19, and,
>>5 years warranty.

>    There are much better deals.  I work a bit over 20 hours a week at
>the Kiewit Computation Center here at Dartmouth.  I repair hard drives,
>among other things.  Two years ago, Dartmouth endorsed the Novas as the
>drive for the incoming freshmen, and we in User Services have been
>fixing them ever since.  They tend to break, quite a bit.  They can't be
>re-named without being re-formatted.  You can't update the System on a
>Nova without completely re-formatting and re-installing.
>    Don't touch the Novas!
>-Josh.

Yeah, but I don't think that argument is fully justified since
Microtech has changed the drive mechanism since. The Novas given to
Dartmouth earlier were NOT Quantum mechanism. The new Microtech drives
(they don't call it NOVA anymore) are lot more quieter, faster, and
reliable than the previous incarnation.

Sometime ago I had a chance to chat with a person from Microtech. He
acknowledged the hardware problem with old Nova drive, but he was quite
confident in the new drives.

I am pretty sure that there are much better deals than Microtech's.
However, I don't think they deserve too much harshness (they did deserve
such earlier days, but not now).

I have no connection whatsoever with Microtech, except as a potential
customer.

--
Chang P. Woo           | Chang.P.Woo@dartmouth.EDU (preferred)

g556871349ea@deneb.ucdavis.edu (0040;0000023090;0;745;352;) (11/20/89)

In article <5488@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> jgt@uhccux.UUCP (John Tsang) writes:
>In article <89110303365844@masnet.uucp> henry.matejko@canremote.uucp (HENRY MATEJKO) writes:
>>I need to move up to a 40-60 Meg hard drive for my Mac.  I would
>
>I would go for Microtech Nova 40, because it uses the faster
>Quantum drive with the Claimed Access time (ms) of 19, and,
>5 years warranty.
>	I doubt there will be any better deal than this.

Well, there is a better 'deal', cost wise...The Jasmine DD40 uses the same
mechanism and is only $599! Though Jasmine is having to deal with supplier
problems after the Rodime fiasco, I would say that this is a better deal than
the Nova. Also the dd40 comes with SUM II and Redux.  The 40 to 45 Mb HD
range was recently reviewed in MacWorld and the reviewer's favs were the Jasmine
and La Cie. What I want to know is whether the raw Quantum 40s are just as
good.

Colin Ong
Dept. LAWR
UC/Davis
g556871349ea@deneb.ucdavis.edu
Disclaimer: Not responsible for anything.

saaf@joker.optics.rochester.edu (Lennart Saaf) (11/22/89)

> Well, there is a better 'deal', cost wise...The Jasmine DD40 uses the same
> mechanism and is only $599! Though Jasmine is having to deal with supplier
> problems after the Rodime fiasco, I would say that this is a better deal than
> the Nova.

I thought I would pass along my experience with Jasmine and Microtech.

On 10/16 I ordered a DD40 from Jasmine for $599 + $15 UPS shipping.
They told me there was a 72 hour shipping guarantee so I naively
assumed that they had them in stock.  On 10/21 I received my Visa bill
with the DD40 charge on it.  I called on 10/27 to check on the status
of the order and was told that the DD40s were backordered and that
they would ship within 5 business days and credit my account for the
shipping charge.  I called again on 11/2 and was told that the drives
were still not stocked and that they would ship in 7-10 working days.

I immediately called Microtech to see if they had any 40MB disks in
stock.  They did, for $649 + $2.25 UPS insurance.  I told the salesman
that I would get right back to him, because I first needed to cancel
an order placed with Jasmine.  He then gave me a 5 minute spiel about
the "precarious financial position" of Jasmine.  He said that Jasmine only
used Quantum drives for one month, and that Quantum would no longer
give them credit.  He said that after Quantum, Jasmine used Miniscribe
drives but he he was not sure what they used now.  He suggested that I
call Jasmine and ask if they could guarantee that a Quantum mechanism
would be in the drive.  He seemed surprised to learn that I had had no
trouble getting through to Jasmine on the phone.  I was skeptical
about some of these remarks, but at this point I was only interested
in getting a drive!

I called Jasmine after this conversation and canceled the DD40 order
with no problems.  They said that the charge would be removed from my
credit card in 1-2 weeks.  I then called Microtech back and ordered an
N40 drive.  It arrived on 11/8 and is working fine.

I called Visa on about 11/13 (about a week and a half after I
canceled) to see if the Jasmine charge had been removed.  It had not.
They instructed me to pay my bill less the Jasmine charge and they
would give me a temporary credit.  I haven't checked since to see if
the charge was removed.  But I really have no reason to believe that
it won't be credited.

I have tried to make this story as emotionless as possible!  Draw your
own conclusions, and good luck!

| Len Saaf, The Institute of Optics, Univ. of Rochester, Rochester, NY |
| Internet: saaf@joker.optics.rochester.edu        Bitnet: SAAF@UOROPT |

JAYMS@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (12/06/89)

Could someone please send me the summary review of

40 meg removable cartridge hard drives that was recently
posted? Thanks!

stas@sun.acs.udel.edu (Stanislaus Pietrucha) (03/12/90)

I own a Mac Plus, and I would like to buy a hard drive.  This may sound
stupid, but what does milliseconds of access time mean to me?  Is there
much of a difference between 19 and 68?  Obviously, the access would more
than triple, but I'm not concerned with 1 sec vs. 3 sec to load up a MS
Word docment.

Should I be concerned with access time, or price?
In this light, what is the most practical hard drive, reasonable price,
and reasonably fast, as well as dependable?

|	Stas Pietrucha		AS92	  	|
|	Univ of Delaware        Comp Sci        |

Leo.Bores@f14.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Leo Bores) (03/14/90)

In an article of <12 Mar 90 05:19:57 GMT>, stas@sun.acs.udel.edu (Stanislaus
Pietrucha) writes:

 SP>I own a Mac Plus, and I would like to buy a hard drive.  This may sound
 SP>
 SP>Should I be concerned with access time, or price?
 SP>In this light, what is the most practical hard drive, reasonable price,
 SP>and reasonably fast, as well as dependable?

My reccomendation would be for an external Quantum 80.

Leo Bores, M.D.

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!14!Leo.Bores
Internet: Leo.Bores@f14.n114.z1.fidonet.org

kanefsky@cs.umn.edu (Steve Kanefsky) (03/15/90)

In article <14674.25FD9F52@stjhmc.fidonet.org> Leo.Bores@f14.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Leo Bores) writes:
>In an article of <12 Mar 90 05:19:57 GMT>, stas@sun.acs.udel.edu (Stanislaus
>Pietrucha) writes:
>
> SP>I own a Mac Plus, and I would like to buy a hard drive.  This may sound
> SP>
> SP>Should I be concerned with access time, or price?
> SP>In this light, what is the most practical hard drive, reasonable price,
> SP>and reasonably fast, as well as dependable?
>

>My reccomendation would be for an external Quantum 80.

At current street prices, a Quantum 105 is a much better deal than a
Quantum 80. A good price for an external Quantum 80 is $659 (APS,
1-800-233-7550), which comes to about $8.24/MB, whereas the price
for an external Quantum 105 at the same place is $729, or $6.94/MB.
Both these drives have similar mechanisms, access times, etc.

--
Steve Kanefsky
kanefsky@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu

Leo.Bores@f14.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Leo Bores) (03/16/90)

In an article of <14 Mar 90 21:21:50 GMT>, kanefsky@cs.umn.edu (Steve Kanefsky)
writes:

 SK>In article <14674.25FD9F52@stjhmc.fidonet.org>
 SK>Leo.Bores@f14.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Leo Bores) writes:
 SK>>
 SK>>My reccomendation would be for an external Quantum 80.
 SK>
 SK>At current street prices, a Quantum 105 is a much better deal than a
 SK>Quantum 80. A good price for an external Quantum 80 is $659 (APS,
 SK>1-800-233-7550), which comes to about $8.24/MB, whereas the price
 SK>for an external Quantum 105 at the same place is $729, or $6.94/MB.
 SK>Both these drives have similar mechanisms, access times, etc.

Yes - that was an oops! I have the 105 and for the same reason. I had just
finished answereing a batch of inquiries viz the 80. Quantum's drives are top
notch PLUS the two year warranty.

Leo Bores, M.D.

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!14!Leo.Bores
Internet: Leo.Bores@f14.n114.z1.fidonet.org

Randy.Shaw@f555.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Randy Shaw) (03/27/90)

The current price on the 105 Quantum from APS is only $619., and that phone
# again, 1 800 233-7550. I bought one from them 2 months ago, it came within
days of ordering it, formatted, with the right bracket. It also had approx.
6megs of very current PD/shareware on it. A great deal. Even had a sort-of
manual, more than adequate for installation, and some decent hard drive
utilities.
Highly recommended. Can see no reason to buy name brand. For this savings,
you could pay to get it repaired locally sometime, and still come out ahead
on costs.

--
Randy Shaw - via FidoNet node 1:125/777
    UUCP: ...!sun!hoptoad!fidogate!161!555!Randy.Shaw

ph1c+@andrew.cmu.edu (Peter Nikitas Handrinos) (09/11/90)

I am looking to buy an internal hard drive for my MacII.  I would like
something in the 100-200 meg category, and reliable.  Any suggestions?
Peter N. Handrinos                                          ph1c@andrew.cmu.edu
Pittsburgh, PA
Carnegie Mellon University         Graduate School of Industrial Administration
     "All of us do time in the gutter, Dreamers turn to look at the cars"

st890123@pip.cc.brandeis.edu (Bear) (12/16/90)

	OK, I need a new HD, between 45-100 megs, and I'm not getting a CMS
and I hate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please send E-mail to:
	IN%"st890123@pip.cc.brandeis.edu"

Thanks,
Joe Dropkin

philm@pro-angmar.UUCP (Phil Marden) (12/20/90)

HI, Joe.
What happen to the CMS.  Did you ever get it back.  Was it still under
warranty.  If so, you should call up CMS and make a lot of noice (if haven't
already.)
--- Phil
----

ProLine:  philm@pro-angmar                                 <> <>
Internet: pro-angmar!philm@alphalpha.com                     )     -  Hi there
UUCP:     uunet!alphalpha!pro-angmar!philm                   O