[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Deskwriter, Where? $$$ ?

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (12/20/90)

In article <39238@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu writes...

>From the volume of recent comp.sys.mac.xxx postings touting
>the HP Deskwriter as a reasonable mid-range printer, I would
>imagine that many net.mac.people are considering a DW purchase.
>If you would be willing to share your experiences with price/service
>from mail order vendors of the Deskwriter printer and accessories
>such as ink refills and best paper type, I will summarize to
>c.s.m.wanted (and xref to .hardware).  No academic prices, please!
>
>(I would also be willing to summarize postive and negative
>feedback regarding performance, although there has been
>considerable discussion on this topic recently.)

There were several interesting replies; thanks to those who responded.
After taking their suggestions into consideration, I decided to join the
ranks of satisfied Deskwriter customers.  My comments are appended below;
but I'll let the others go first.  Some of the comments were edited to
correct obvious symptoms of the dreaded 'line editor' syndrome, or to
clarify comments made in response to my follow-up questions.

I have credited those who were willing to be cited by name;
other observations are lumped into my conclusion at the end.

From John Schettino <john@ctc.contel.com>
(posted thru my wife's account at GMU)

Sure, include me in the summary:

I got mine at Mac and More (1-800-MAC-0052) price was $675 (free
shipping) for the new type with appletalk. This was in october so the
price may be different now :^)

Shipped in five working days, worked out of the box. Also got a quantum
hard drive and 4 meg of simms, both of which were bad, mac and more paid
for fedex back and forth and replaced both in a week. very class act!

We love the speed, quality, and low noise of the DW... and the ink is
fine for all but very dark printouts (these come out kinda damp!)

From George Jefferson <george@mech.seas.upenn.edu>:

(I don't care one way or the other about attribution).

Regarding paper and ink cartridges:

They say [a cartridge lasts for] 500 pages.  I thought this would
be a conservative estimate, but my first cartridge ran out just at
the end of my first ream of paper. - but then I was doing a lot of
experimenting, printing 250 pt. bold letters and such.
The cartridges last a bit longer under normal circumstances,
especially if you check the faster box. ( btw faster mode is
good for proofing, unlike draft mode on an IW )

When the cartridges die, they give very little warning,
so it is a good idea to keep a spare.

FYI, the cartridge that came with my printer says nothing about
being water-resistant, so I guess I have the same one you got.
My ink smears really bad if you get it even a little bit wet,
even days after printing.  The new ink is supposedly a dramatic
improvement.

By the way, I have yet to try the new 'water resistant' cartridges.
I did try to refill a cartridge, it was a compete disaster.

Regarding fonts:

I hear HP is a real pain to deal with.  Our store refuses to stock any
sort of HP font or cartridge (they will order them, but not for much
of a discount).

I was thinking about getting Freedom of the Press, or ATM, but if
[ HP versions of the NTX fonts are available ], I think I'm satisfied.
People using FOP for 'normal' printing (say from a word processor)
are doing things ass backwards.  The laserprep dictionary essentially
converts quickdraw to postscript, then FOP has to interpret the
PostScript to convert back to quickdraw. (I hear it is really slow, and
I am not suprised)

If all you want are PS fonts ATM makes much more sense.
The really annoying thing about ATM is that you can't use it for printing only.
I don't have the memory to spare to use it all the time, so I need to have
the HP fonts on my disk (or reboot every time I print; I refuse to look at
bitmaps even for drafts).  I also don't have the HD space for both sets
of fonts; consequently I almost never use ATM.

From: mrsvr!master.mrisi!walkerl@uwm.edu (Larry Walker):

Price:

I watched the mail order prices for a couple of months after HP cut the DW list
price, and $675 seemed to be the rock-bottom price advertised. So I went to my
local TV/VCR/Computer discount emporium and told them I was going to buy one
mail-order if they couldn't match the $675 price. After being told they can't
(won't/don't) match mail-order prices, and that HP margins are too thin for
them to discount the DW, he disappeared into the back room for a few minutes.
When he came out, he agreed to $675. The clincher seemed to be that I had
a copy of MacWeek in hand with the amail order prices circled. I decided to go
ahead and buy it locally, despite having to pay sales tax, rather than deal
with unknown mail-order places...

Cartridges:

The best price I've found for ink cartridges is my local CompuAdd store, which
I believe is a (national?) chain: $14.30 for the new water-resistent ink.

The best mail-order price I found was $15, I believe from MacDepot in LA
(with free UPS ground shipping).

Paper:

I tried a couple of types of paper (the University bookstore had most types
in single sheets as well as by-the-box, so it was easy to experiment).
Duplicator/copier ($6.95/500) had small but noticible bleeding. I finally
settled on Gilbert NeuTech Bond ($13.95/500): very bright white finish, no
noticible bleeding, several $$ a box cheaper than most other top end bond
papers.

Fonts:

If you get a DeskWriter, you WILL WANT TO GET ATM2.0!!! I can print a page of
text in 40 seconds (on my MacPlus) with ATM2.0, as opposed to 60 seconds with
HP's outline fonts. Plus, Adobe has several font packages available at much
better prices than HP's fonts. Plus, you get smooth fonts on-screen at large
point sizes. GET ATM!

I bought my printer about 2 wks too soon for HP's free font offer (!), so that
wasn't a factor for me. I would still choose ATM because I gives better
on-screen (large) fonts and because it prints faster. Of course, I'd still
take the free HP fonts and use them if I wanted a font that ATM didn't offer.
Plus, I'm not much of a font-freak...

I don't know anything about FOP, except what I read on the net (which seems to
say SLOW!).

Feel free to quote me: I'm a real DW fan, and encourage anyone who asks to
get one (but to get it CHEAP! - no reason anybody should pay over $700 for
one)

PS: I forgot to also extoll the virtues of KiwiEnvelopes with the DW. The DW
has very slick envelope feeding, and works great with KiwiEnvelopes. Be
sure to get V3.01, as it has a few DW clean-ups (you may have to call Kiwi
and ask for it after you buy a copy. MacConnection sells it for ~ $33). Now
my envelopes finally look as nice as as my letters!

Memory _could_ be a problem with ATM for 1 meg systems. I've got a 2 meg w/SCSI
upgrade for my once-was 512K Mac (I bought that too early,too!) and I don't run
multi-finder (I just don't feel like I get much benefit w/the 9" screen, plus I'
ve had a fair amount of problem w/lockup and crashes when I tried it.
Funny, I love it at work and use it all the time there, but never at home.)
I keep a pretty big ATM cache for fast screen updates, so 2 meg is just
about minimum for this to work well.

From: V564HUCE@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu
Subject: HP Deskwriter and Custer's last stand...

Lucky guy, getting a new printer...
   Well, what I can say is that my Deskwriter has been a dream since
day one.  I have found very few problems, and here they are:

   1)  It doesn't fit in my Imagewriter bag.
   2)  There are occasional jams when the paper supply gets to
   about 10-20 sheets.
   3)  There a some jams when the paper gets to 24lb super heavy
   stock.
   4)  I have one of the original ones that's not AppleTalk ready.

   Okay, so the last one is really my fault.  But now to sing the
praises of the DeskWriter.  I don't care that the ink smears [ when the
paper gets wet ].  Do you really want to spill coffee on that 35 page
report to a professor?  Or maybe a little water would be nice on that
really important memo?  My point is made.
   The ink also dries very fast.  Give a couple of seconds coming
out of the print area and it will not smear.  In some 2000+ sheets I
have fed through since last March, I have had 3 sheets smear.  I just
bought a new cartridge with the new waterproof stuff, but I haven't had
a chance to try it.
   If you use Adobe Type Manager or the fonts supplied by HP with
the printer, the results will startle you.  As a law student I have to be
concerned about the looks of what I do.  If you use the right paper, you
can send out very nice looking resumes with the DeskWriter.  I already
have several.  One of them got me a summer clerkship with a Federal judge!
   The only real thing to watch is paper quality.  Don't skimp on
that.  Normal xerox paper is not good enough.  I use Hammermill Laser Print.
Not only is it made in the USA, but it only costs about $1.50 more per
500 sheets that normal xerox paper.  The local OfficeMax store has
xerox paper at $3.20 per ream, I paid $5.56 per ream for the Hammermill stuff.
They also make a pre-punched for 3-holed binder paper, with reinforced
holes, at about $12.00 per ream.
   Price wise, well, you can get a copy of the New York Times, Tuedays
and check out the Science part (or look in the paper itself) and see the
New York ad prices.  These are generally near the bottom of the range.  I
have seen them now for around $670.00 range.  Otherwise, look in any Mac
magazine (MacUser, MacWorld, or if you're really special, MacWeek).  Good
luck and good hunting.  P.S., since I have problems posting to UseNet,
post this if you wish (or know how).

P.S., about paper DO NOT get any type that is recommended for an inkjet printer.
HP doesn't recommend it in their manual, and after my experience
(thank you for your generous return policy, OfficeMax :-), I agree.
Okay, if there are any other questions, post them on UseNet, or e-mail me.
I'll be happy to see what I can do.   Allen Hsu... :-)

"Dating!  But that's analog!!!!!!!" -original joke by Allen Hsu
Based on a book by Guy Kawasaki, "The Macintosh Way"

From Bill Johnston <johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu>:

After the rave reviews given the Deskwriter by various netters, I felt
comfortable ante'ing up half my life savings to buy a printer suitable
for proofing Laserwriter output at 'home computer' prices.  I use the
Deskwriter mainly to print from MS Word and Excel ... but I am stunned
at the quality of 'MacDraw-type' graphics output as well.

A minor gripe, echoing others' sentiments cited above:

The ink runs freely when you get the page wet!  It's true that one doesn't
SUBMIT a document that has been used as a coaster, but I recognize that
those with less regard for my words may decide to do so with one of my
documents.  Thus I also look forward to trying the water-proof ink cartridge.

As far as paper goes, the same cheap photocopy paper that worked in my
Imagewriter did a respectable job in the Deskwriter.  Maybe I got lucky,
but I tried one Word document with included graphics and the results
were stunning.  To think that I had been considering selling my motorcycle
to buy a laser printer.

Purists will be quick to differ, but I see no substantive difference between
the appearance of the HP outline fonts and the Adobe fonts from an Apple
LaserWriter.  There is a noticeable difference in blackness, to be sure,
and the edges of letters are ever so ragged;  for me the main issue was
that the pagination matches that of the Laserwriter almost perfectly.

As a USENET junkie, I have developed the habit of using the keyboard for
much of my word-processing.  Sometimes, this means that I hit a 'hard'
carriage return, which always had disastrous consequences when I set up
a document to be proofed on the IW, and then use the LaserWriter for final
copy.  There were always work-arounds, of course.  But the reason I wanted
to switch to the Deskwriter is that I wanted to concentrate on the writing,
not the formatting.  I can happily report that the Deskwriter does this
and more.

Regarding price -- <you mean you're still reading this???>:

I had an interesting time of it when I tried to buy my DW.  Assuming that
my academic discount privileges had expired at the University of Delaware,
I tried without luck to find a used printer.  No such luck!  Seems that
most people like the DW well enough to hold on to it.  That's OK, I suppose.

In the depths of my despair, I went down to our campus computer store to
ogle the merchandise.  On a whim, I pulled out my college ID and asked the
sales rep if my name was still on the list ( I had purchased my SE/30 on
what I took to be my very last day of eligibility, back in late August).
My name was still on the list!

It seems that their database, which runs on an IBM mainframe, is updated
only infrequently (perhaps because it's difficult to use?).   < grin >
I walked out five minutes later with a brand new DeskWriter, at a price
not much more than what I had been offering for a used printer.

With the performance that I've had so far, I would have no hesitation in
recommending a Deskwriter to anyone.  My mail order inquiries jive with
those reported by the netters above;  the NYT prices were a bit lower than
those that I found in MacWorld and MacWeek.  Service is still a question
mark, but I have heard good things about HP's warranty service;  this is
in stark contrast to the reports of people who have called HP with
questions regarding fonts and accessories.

That's all folks!  Thanks to the DW fans who responded!  Thanks also
to Trish Haney and Jack Howarth whose earlier postings and/or e-mail

I would be happy to take a stab at answering other Deskwriter questions.
Just give me a few days peace to play with my new toy!

-- Bill