[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac LC Availability??

djb@mailer.cc.fsu.edu (David Brightbill) (12/13/90)

Well...I went ahead and ordered a Mac LC through the education channel.  What
is the net.wisdom on when it will arrive in the sunny south?

torrie@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Evan James Torrie) (12/13/90)

djb@mailer.cc.fsu.edu (David Brightbill) writes:

>Well...I went ahead and ordered a Mac LC through the education channel.  What
>is the net.wisdom on when it will arrive in the sunny south?

  I don't know about the sunny south, but here in sunny California
there were 6 or so LCs sitting in the loading bay ready to be picked
up when I looked in on Monday morning.  They all had big "Qantas
Cargo" stickers on the boxes, so I guess they've been airlifted in
from Singapore.

  Looks like there are going to be a fair few people who get their LCs
before Christmas.

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
Where can a nation lie when it hides its organic minds in a cellar dark and
grim?  They must be ...  very dim.

lalor@cod.NOSC.MIL (Joe Lalor) (12/14/90)

From article <1990Dec13.085211.10776@Neon.Stanford.EDU>, by torrie@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Evan James Torrie):
> djb@mailer.cc.fsu.edu (David Brightbill) writes:
>
>>Well...I went ahead and ordered a Mac LC through the education channel.  What
>>is the net.wisdom on when it will arrive in the sunny south?
>
>   Looks like there are going to be a fair few people who get their LCs
> before Christmas.

I was working with an Apple Sales person a month ago who said that while
Apple did announce the LC in October, they were physically unable to
begin shipments to the masses until January at the latest.  They felt
it was better to announce the machine with the Classic and the SI
even before they were ready to produce the machine because they didn't
feel it was right to give people the impression that all they had in
the works was two new machines when they really had three but were
unable to ship at the time.

JOE LALOR
Lalor@nosc.mil

clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Kathy Strong) (12/14/90)

In article <1990Dec13.085211.10776@Neon.Stanford.EDU> torrie@Neon.Stanford.EDU
(Evan James Torrie) writes:

>djb@mailer.cc.fsu.edu (David Brightbill) writes:
>
>>Well...I went ahead and ordered a Mac LC through the education channel.  What
>>is the net.wisdom on when it will arrive in the sunny south?
>
>  I don't know about the sunny south, but here in sunny California
>there were 6 or so LCs sitting in the loading bay ready to be picked
>up when I looked in on Monday morning.  They all had big "Qantas

Heheh, I bet they lasted about 15 minutes, too. I ordered my IIsi through
UT's educational program--it took three weeks to arrive, and to give you an
idea of the order volume, a week before it got here, I was #20 on the waiting
list. My guess is that LCs will probably be backordered four to six weeks
at an educational institution of any size. So don't sell the Mac on your
desk just yet...!

(I'm assuming, BTW, that your school, like mine, has been accepting deposits
for the LC since the announcement. If not, you may get it sooner.)

:   Kathy Strong               :  "Try our Hubble-Rita: just one shot,     :
:  (Clouds moving slowly)      :   and everything's blurry"                :
:   clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu  :                           --El Arroyo     :
:..........................................................................:

jhex_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Jeff "Ashton" Hexter) (12/15/90)

In the "for what it's worth" department:
  The U of Rochester Computer Sales recently received almost 10% of
Apple's entire Mac LC first allocation (at least that's what the manager
told me... he said 900 are allocated, and 70 were shipped to the U of
R.)  They are selling HOT!!!  First dibs go to the 70+ people with Mac
Classics on back order, but a lot of those don't want to spend $1999.00
for a Mac LC when a Classic cost $1196, even if the Classic is not
expected for another 8-10 weeks (last I heard).  Oh, that $1999 price is
for the 2MB RAM/40MD Hard Drive version plus the 12" color monitor.  I
kinda like it... but I'm gonna save up for a IIci :)

				Jeff
--
What is Cognitive Science?  A better      | Mcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmc
question is what ISN'T Cognitive Science! | mcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmc...

ywhang@aludra.usc.edu (Yong Whang) (12/15/90)

In article <11162@ur-cc.UUCP> jhex_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Jeff "Ashton" Hexter) writes:
>In the "for what it's worth" department:

ditto here.

>They are selling HOT!!!  First dibs go to the 70+ people with Mac
>Classics on back order, but a lot of those don't want to spend $1999.00
>for a Mac LC when a Classic cost $1196, even if the Classic is not
>expected for another 8-10 weeks (last I heard).  Oh, that $1999 price is
>for the 2MB RAM/40MD Hard Drive version plus the 12" color monitor.  I
>kinda like it... but I'm gonna save up for a IIci :)

Businessland was at my work today demoing LC with Si and Classic.
Their price to the employees of their "favored corporate customer"
was $1705 for LC 2/40.  When I checked the prices for the other Macs,
the price was consistently $100 - 150 LOWER than the prices at USC
Bookstore.  I thought that the educational prices were supposed to be
cheapest???

Yong Whang
ywhang@aludra.usc.edu
Disclaimer:  I only speak for myself.

torrie@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Evan James Torrie) (12/15/90)

clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Kathy Strong) writes:

>In article <1990Dec13.085211.10776@Neon.Stanford.EDU> torrie@Neon.Stanford.EDU
>(Evan James Torrie) writes:

>>  I don't know about the sunny south, but here in sunny California
>>there were 6 or so LCs sitting in the loading bay ready to be picked
>>up when I looked in on Monday morning.  They all had big "Qantas

>Heheh, I bet they lasted about 15 minutes, too. I ordered my IIsi through

  Yes.  Microdisc announced the availability of 100 LCs on 12 December
[with the notice that no more would be available until March 15].  By
9:30 on the 14th, there were 20 left (and they were probably gone by
the end of the day).

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
"And remember, whatever you do, DON'T MENTION THE WAR!"

torrie@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Evan James Torrie) (12/15/90)

jhex_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Jeff "Ashton" Hexter) writes:

>expected for another 8-10 weeks (last I heard).  Oh, that $1999 price is
>for the 2MB RAM/40MD Hard Drive version plus the 12" color monitor.  I

  The equivalent here is $1896 (+ tax of course).
  $1517 for the 2/40, and $379 for the monitor.

  The 2 floppy drive configuration is selling for something like $1120 [+
the monitor]

jtgorman@cs.arizona.edu (J. Taggart Gorman) (12/16/90)

In article <13680@chaph.usc.edu> ywhang@aludra.usc.edu (Yong Whang) writes:
>I thought that the educational prices were supposed to be cheapest???
  Don't kid yourself!  Just do alittle bit of shopping around and you'll see
that there's not a signifigant discount.
  I was about to order my IIsi 2/40 and AppleColor monitor from the Univ.,
but they said delivery would take 3 weeks.  Same problem - the semester was
going to be over in 2 1/2 weeks and I would be out of town.  No can do.  The
people at the demo area refered me to a local place that gave student
discounts.  I called them and they said "Bring in the money and you'll walk
out the door with a IIsi.  I was salvating.  Then they hit me with the punch -
NO CPU-monitor discount!  Bye bye $250 extra!  Forget that place.  So I
whipped out my latest MacWorld thinking "I'll just see what everyone else
is quoting for si's."  I called several places, and yes, educational
discount did beat 'em.  Until I called Texas MacStuff.  They claim to be
the losest and they sure are!  They didn't beat my educational discount, but
their price was a whole $40 more!  They have the money now, and it's being
shipped home right now!  Unfortunately, they also had a 3 week shipping
delay or I would have my new baby right now!

drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) (12/19/90)

In article <1990Dec12.203153.10366@mailer.cc.fsu.edu>
djb@mailer.cc.fsu.edu (David Brightbill) writes:
> Well...I went ahead and ordered a Mac LC through the education channel.
What
> is the net.wisdom on when it will arrive in the sunny south?

Sooner than if you had ordered it through the retail channel. I heard this
story from an unnamed Apple employee: Retail wanted something in the
stores for Christmas, so they agreed that if education gave them first
dibs on Classics (which is *part* of why they're back-ordered at many
campuses), education could have first dibs on LCs.

BTW, the LC 2/40 is $1413 (without monitor) here.

David Gutierrez
drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu

"Only fools are positive." - Moe Howard

bemery@nmsu.edu (Bryan Emery) (12/21/90)

Just for information, I got a call last week from a company called ICC
(International Computer Corp - I think) that sells Macintoshes.  He said
that he had LC's in stock at that time and the price was $1,425 for
the LC 2/40 and $595 for the 12" color monitor.  Total:  $2,020.  It
doesn't appear that the student discount gives you much!!!

Bryan Emery
Graduate Student
New Mexico State University

keir@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Rick Keir, MACC) (12/21/90)

>Just for information, I got a call last week from a company called ICC
>(International Computer Corp - I think) that sells Macintoshes.  He said
>that he had LC's in stock at that time and the price was $1,425 for
>the LC 2/40 and $595 for the 12" color monitor.  Total:  $2,020.  It
>doesn't appear that the student discount gives you much!!!
>
>Bryan Emery

The student discount gives you a warranty, which this may not.
Apple's policy has been to support retail sales thru dealers
and to prohibit sales thru the mail or over the phones.  This
is one of the privileges dealers get in return for the costs
of a dealership.

Policies vary between companies on backing a warranty on un-
authorized sales;  they may give you a warranty anyway, but
the dealer who is reselling their machines on the gray market
may well lose their dealership for breach of contract.

Disclaimer:  I have not read an article this week about Apple's
sales policies, so for all I know they have reversed themselves;
however the no mail-order policy has been true in the past, and
dealerships have been pulled for violations of this policy.

If you are tempted to buy this way, I would contact Apple
first and find out what kind of warranty protection you'd get.

[In any case, I never trust a company that has "International"
in its title, unless they can tell me the address of their
overseas offices].

jfr@locus.com (Jon Rosen) (12/21/90)

In article <5000@dogie.macc.wisc.edu> keir@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Rick Keir, MACC) writes:

>>Just for information, I got a call last week from a company called ICC
>>(International Computer Corp - I think) that sells Macintoshes.  He said
>>that he had LC's in stock at that time and the price was $1,425 for
>>the LC 2/40 and $595 for the 12" color monitor.  Total:  $2,020.  It
>>doesn't appear that the student discount gives you much!!!
>>
>>Bryan Emery
>
>The student discount gives you a warranty, which this may not.
>Apple's policy has been to support retail sales thru dealers
>and to prohibit sales thru the mail or over the phones.  This
>is one of the privileges dealers get in return for the costs
>of a dealership.

This is gibberish... I do not think it would be legal for Apple to
dishonor a warranty (which is included printed on a form in all of
their products) based upon the dealer from whom you purchased your
machines... Warranties are given to the consumer by the manufacturer
and I believe that if Apple failed to honor the warranty of any
legally obtainable machine, they would be subject to severe sanctions
by any court that heard the case...

There is NOTHING ILLEGAL OR IMMORAL about buying a
computer from any source that has obtained it legally... Illegal
in this sense means having stolen it... If a dealer violates its
contractual agreement with Apple not to sell to mail order companies,
this is not illegal, only a contract violation... Since the consumer
has no contractual relationship to the original Apple dealer, they
should be held harmless in this transaction...

Jon Rosen

In article <385@opus.NMSU.Edu> bemery@nmsu.edu (Bryan Emery) writes:

>Just for information, I got a call last week from a company called ICC
>(International Computer Corp - I think) that sells Macintoshes.  He said
>that he had LC's in stock at that time and the price was $1,425 for
>the LC 2/40 and $595 for the 12" color monitor.  Total:  $2,020.  It
>doesn't appear that the student discount gives you much!!!

That's essentially list price for the 12" color monitor (List: $599, UMCP
$398), and EXTREMELY CHEAP for the LC (List $2499, UMCP $1600).