[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Please Help! Hard drive not starting up?!

nadeem@wam.umd.edu (Nadeem Malik) (12/29/90)

I have a Mac II with 2MB ram, 40MB hard disk, Radius TPD,
running 6.05.  Everything was fine until one morning, I
started up the machine to find that the Apple 40MB internal
drive did not show up on the desktop.  I have an Apple 160MB
external which showed up so I did not notice the problem at
first.

I tryed disconnecting the external and restarting but then I
got the flashing floppy prompt.

What can I do.  Is there some sort of software I can run, to
bring it back to life, ping the scsi port or something of that
sort.

General question is what is the procedure to go through to find
out what is wrong with a hard drive that will not start up.

Thanks

Nadeem Malik                            nadeem@wam.umd.edu
Meem Technologies, Inc.

Nadeem.Malik@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Nadeem Malik) (12/29/90)

--
Nadeem Malik - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!Nadeem.Malik

david_islander_hughes@cup.portal.com (12/30/90)

First use a program like SCI Tools, or anything that will do
a force mount of a scsi device; or, try using disk first aid.
Hi From Saipan
Dave Hughes

david.islander.hughes@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (david islander hughes) (12/30/90)

First use a program like SCI Tools, or anything that will do
a force mount of a scsi device; or, try using disk first aid.
Hi From Saipan
Dave Hughes

--
david islander hughes - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!david.islander.hughes

toad@athena.mit.edu (John P. Jackson) (12/30/90)

In article <1990Dec28.172406.11436@wam.umd.edu> nadeem@wam.umd.edu (Nadeem Malik) writes:

>I have a Mac II with 2MB ram, 40MB hard disk, Radius TPD,
>running 6.05.  Everything was fine until one morning, I
>started up the machine to find that the Apple 40MB internal
>drive did not show up on the desktop.  I have an Apple 160MB
>external which showed up so I did not notice the problem at
>first.
>
>I tryed disconnecting the external and restarting but then I
>got the flashing floppy prompt.
>
>What can I do.  Is there some sort of software I can run, to
>bring it back to life, ping the scsi port or something of that
>sort.
>
>General question is what is the procedure to go through to find
>out what is wrong with a hard drive that will not start up.
>
>Thanks

Well, I've seen this problem and these symptoms about a billion times.
If it's what I think, you might not be in bad shape.  This sounds very
much like you are experiencing the problem of the drive physically not
spinning up when you turn the Mac's power on.  There are a couple of
things you can try.  First, the simplest is to just keep turning the
machine off and then back on again (waiting a few seconds each time), and
hoping that the initial power to the drive will break it free and off
you'll go.  This can sometime happen in just a few tries, or a lot of tries.
The next suggestions are a bit more involved. If not done considerately,
you COULD damage your drive.  The principle is basically this:  since
the disk won't spin in it's housing, you start out by making it's housing
spin around it.  I've done this a lot, but let me explain.  The ideal way
to accomplish this would be to have the drive assembley in your hand, power
attached to it, and you would then, with a twisting motion of your wrist,
crisply spin the assembley back and forth (like you would turn a shower knob),
counting on the fact that the inertia of the disk platters contained inside
would tend to keep the platters from rotating, and the case would move around
the platters. relatively speaking however, this would be the same thing as
spinning the platters back and forth a bit.  Why would all this be necessary?
Well, sometimes due to a buildup of dust, or poor design, the platter motor
or the head actuator become slightly sticky, and the won't break free
with normal power-on procedures.  It is also relatively easy to tell if
this is your problem or not by simply listening to the Mac when you turn it on,
keeping all other devices off.  You can hear whether or not the drive is
coming up.  You may have to take the cover off and put your ear close
to it to be sure.  Also, I've done this before without actually removing
the drive from its machine either.  If you can imagine someone with a Mac II
or a CMS external drive in their hands, plugged in to the wall, turning on
the power and simultaneously begining to rotate it back and forth, briskly,
then you are picturing it just how I have done it.  As far as harming your
equipment goes, the idea is NOT to strike the drive or Mac against anything,
for any reason. Otherwise, you may cause the read/write heads to contact the
disk platter's surfaces, and that's where you start causing damage.  Also,
this is worth trying even if you think you hear the drive spinning, because
maybe it the case of the read/write head actuator being stuck.
If you succeed at getting the thing to come up, back up your data, and look
into getting the problem fixed.  This usually means replacing the drive,
unless it's one that has a known problem and is covered by a repair program.
Also, you don't necessarily have to have power to the drive to do this.
It's just that this can sometimes be the nudge that you need to get going.
Finally, while it's more work, the most effective way to do this is if you
take the drive out of the machine.  Good luck!

JJ

John.P..Jackson@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (John P. Jackson) (12/31/90)

writes:

> [...]

equipment goes, the idea is NOT to strike the drive or Mac against anything,
for any reason. Otherwise, you may cause the read/write heads to contact the
disk platter's surfaces, and that's where you start causing damage.  Also,
this is worth trying even if you think you hear the drive spinning, because
maybe it the case of the read/write head actuator being stuck.
If you succeed at getting the thing to come up, back up your data, and look
into getting the problem fixed.  This usually means replacing the drive,
unless it's one that has a known problem and is covered by a repair program.
Also, you don't necessarily have to have power to the drive to do this.
It's just that this can sometimes be the nudge that you need to get going.
Finally, while it's more work, the most effective way to do this is if you
take the drive out of the machine.  Good luck!

John P. Jackson - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!John.P..Jackson
INTERNET: John.P..Jackson@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG