[comp.sys.mac.hardware] HeadMasters - Mac Classic

domingo@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Alberto Domingo) (12/28/90)

 I'd like to get any information about a product called Head Masters or
about Personics Corporation (the phone number below is incorrect, I think).

This is for a friend of mine who had a very bad accident and is now
tetraplegic (completely immobilised except the head). He's got a
Mac Classic and this product, the HeadMasters, which aparently allows
him to use the Mac only using the head. But the problem is that this
Head Master only works with the Mac+. He lives in Spain, and the
dealer doesn't have any Mac+ nor take back the computer or the HeadMasters.

A sad history... The question is if somebody knows about a product like this
that works with the Classic, or something about this company.

                Head Masters

                PERSONICS CORPORATION
                2352 Main street, Building 2
                Concorde
                Massachusets 01742
                Phone number: (617) 897-1575

Thaks a lot in advance.
I, and he, will appreciate any information.
Thanks again.

Alberto Domingo		domingo@boulder.colorado.edu
			phone (303) 492-8382

Alberto.Domingo@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Alberto Domingo) (12/28/90)

--
Alberto Domingo - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!Alberto.Domingo

haber@micah.cs.wisc.edu (Eben Merriam Haber) (12/31/90)

In article <domingo.662338773@beagle> domingo@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Alberto Domingo) writes:

> I'd like to get any information about a product called Head Masters or
>about Personics Corporation (the phone number below is incorrect, I think).
>
>This is for a friend of mine who had a very bad accident and is now
>tetraplegic (completely immobilised except the head). He's got a
>Mac Classic and this product, the HeadMasters, which aparently allows

Personics no longer markets the HeadMaster.  It is instead maintained by
the Prenke-Romich company, somewhere in Ohio (does anyone out there know?
I had their address and lost it).

It IS possible to get a headmaster to work with an SE - an adaptor is
required to convert the Mac + style mouse signals to ADB signals.  This
adaptor is available from the above company for about $130.

I own the precursor to the Headmaster, the VCS which is (in my opinion)
THE best mouse substitute ever.  Instead of using the mouse or a track
ball, you wear a headset and two extra buttons are added to the bottom
of the keyboard.  To perform any mouse operation, one button (just
below the space bar) activates the headset, and you just look where
you ant the mouse to go.  The other button is for clicking the mouse.

Unfortuanately, you can no longer buy the VCS as a mouse substitute,
but it is really great to be able to perform mouse operations with my
hands never leaving the keyboard...

Eben Haber