[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Broken FDHD ?

souka@uh.msc.umn.edu (Omar Souka) (12/31/90)

My FDHD on my SE/30 recently began rejecting all 800K disks as
unreadable and refuses to format them also.  It does read and format
400K disks.  Any suggestions -- is it broken or maybe just dirty (if it
is, how do I clean it?)

Thanks

Omar Souka                              E/Mail:  souka@msc.edu
Minnesota Supercomputer Center          AT&T:    612 625 7890
Minneapolis, MN                         FAX:     612 624 6550

rsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Roby Sherman) (01/01/91)

In <3221@uc.msc.umn.edu> souka@uh.msc.umn.edu (Omar Souka) writes:

>My FDHD on my SE/30 recently began rejecting all 800K disks as
>unreadable and refuses to format them also.  It does read and format
>400K disks.  Any suggestions -- is it broken or maybe just dirty (if it
>is, how do I clean it?)

>Thanks

There are many companies that produces drive cleaning kits. Unfortunatly I
suspect that what has happened is the upper head of your drive has either
been knocked out of position by a disk that got stuck (a very common
occurance) or it is in fact dirty (I seriously doubt)

I will also tell you that if the upper head has gone bad/whatever, the
Authorized Apple Dealers will have one sole option : REPLACEMENT OF THE
ENTIRE DRIVE. It is impossible for an authorized dealer to buy a "head
assembly" for those drives from Apple..

-- Roby

--
Roby Sherman      | Ye olde Nets : rsherman@mthvax.cs.edu