[comp.sys.mac.hardware] ethernet over twisted pair

JAYMS@CUNYVM (12/28/90)

Anyone have any experience or info about ethernet cards over twisted
pair connections. I'd like to use pre-wired telephone cabling and have
the convenience of Phonenet connectors - or close. What's this I hear
about a new ethernet hardware/standard from Apple?

I'd like to avoid running separate cable for thin BNC style ethernet.
Any info would be appreciated. Please reply directly to me. Thanks!

JAYMS@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (JAYMS) (12/28/90)

--
JAYMS - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!JAYMS

toad@athena.mit.edu (John P. Jackson) (12/30/90)

In article <90361.180653JAYMS@CUNYVM.BITNET> JAYMS@CUNYVM writes:
>Anyone have any experience or info about ethernet cards over twisted
>pair connections. I'd like to use pre-wired telephone cabling and have
>the convenience of Phonenet connectors - or close. What's this I hear
>about a new ethernet hardware/standard from Apple?
>
>I'd like to avoid running separate cable for thin BNC style ethernet.
>Any info would be appreciated. Please reply directly to me. Thanks!

Well, I installed a LattisNet network, which is made by Western Digital.
LattisNet is a pre-10 Base T ethernet protocol.  I found that it just wouldn't
stay up for more than an hour or two when I had it connected through telephone
wiring that was already supporting a phone system in the same cable.  I had
to run it on phone cable that was subsequently installed soley for the
purpose of the network.  Racal Interlan in Boxborough, MA is now making
UTP (Unshielded Twisted Pair, ie., most phone system cable these days) ethernet
interface cards for the Macintosh.  I know they are not the only ones, also.

JJ

John.P..Jackson@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (John P. Jackson) (12/31/90)

In article <90361.180653JAYMS@CUNYVM.BITNET> JAYMS@CUNYVM writes:
>Anyone have any experience or info about ethernet cards over twisted
>pair connections. I'd like to use pre-wired telephone cabling and have
>the convenience of Phonenet connectors - or close. What's this I hear
>about a new ethernet hardware/standard from Apple?
>
>I'd like to avoid running separate cable for thin BNC style ethernet.
>Any info would be appreciated. Please reply directly to me. Thanks!

Well, I installed a LattisNet network, which is made by Western Digital.
LattisNet is a pre-10 Base T ethernet protocol.  I found that it just wouldn't
stay up for more than an hour or two when I had it connected through telephone
wiring that was already supporting a phone system in the same cable.  I had
to run it on phone cable that was subsequently installed soley for the
purpose of the network.  Racal Interlan in Boxborough, MA is now making
UTP (Unshielded Twisted Pair, ie., most phone system cable these days) ethernet
interface cards for the Macintosh.  I know they are not the only ones, also.

JJ

--
John P. Jackson - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!John.P..Jackson

JS05STAF@MIAMIU.BITNET (Joe Simpson) (01/01/91)

We have Latissnet running 10baseT ethernet in the same bundle as both
POTS(plain old telephone service) and Digital telephone service.

jdishaw@cbrown.claremont.edu (Pom Ac Comp Staff) (01/01/91)

In article <1990Dec30.092629.10471@athena.mit.edu>, toad@athena.mit.edu (John P. Jackson) writes...

>Well, I installed a LattisNet network, which is made by Western Digital.
>LattisNet is a pre-10 Base T ethernet protocol.  I found that it just wouldn't
>stay up for more than an hour or two when I had it connected through telephone
>wiring that was already supporting a phone system in the same cable.  I had
>to run it on phone cable that was subsequently installed soley for the
>purpose of the network.  Racal Interlan in Boxborough, MA is now making
>UTP (Unshielded Twisted Pair, ie., most phone system cable these days) ethernet
>interface cards for the Macintosh.  I know they are not the only ones, also.
>
>JJ
From what I have been told (by Cabletron) is that a 10 Base-T compliant
product can go over the same cable with the phone.  Note, however, that
10 Base-T does not use a USOC jack, but rather the "new" AT&T jack (RJ445
I believe).  I haven't seen 10 Base-T used on the same cable as the phone,
but from what I can see from the pin-out and the pair matching, it should
work.  I don't want to waste bandwidth with any technical information, so
if anybody is interested send E-Mail to me.

James R. Dishaw
JDISHAW@CBROWN.CLAREMONT.EDU

rpcfod@uarthur.UUCP (Robert Patt-Corner) (01/02/91)

In article <1990Dec30.092629.10471@athena.mit.edu>, toad@athena.mit.edu (John P. Jackson) writes:
> In article <90361.180653JAYMS@CUNYVM.BITNET> JAYMS@CUNYVM writes:
>
> Well, I installed a LattisNet network, which is made by Western Digital.
> LattisNet is a pre-10 Base T ethernet protocol.  I found that it just wouldn't
> stay up for more than an hour or two when I had it connected through telephone
> wiring that was already supporting a phone system in the same cable.

We had rather better luck with Synoptics 10BaseT (1000 system - couldn't
sprint for the fancier 3000 with net management).  Nearly all our
existing lines worked out OK.  Have tested two cards - (Whomever)'s
EtherPort II with Synoptics 508 Transceiver works fine (Kinetics to Excelan
to Novell to ... is it Dayna now?).  We've just bought the Dayna cards
with 10BaseT option, and the cards seem fine, the drivers don't -
hang when accessing LANWorks (Whoops - Pathworks).  But the Excelan
drivers work with the Dayna cards.