[comp.sys.mac.hardware] wavering 13" RGB monitor

seals@ac.dal.ca (12/26/90)

Ho ! Ho ! Ho !  arrghh...

After stuffing myself on Christmas goodies for two days, I decided to get
back to work.  When I started up my IIcx I notice that the display has a slight
lateral "waver".  This keeps up as long as the machine is on - no warm up
improvement.

What could be causing this problem ?  I have tried wiggling/tightening
connectors, degausing the monitor (an Apple 13" RGB) etc.  The card is a
RasterOps 264 card giving up to 24-bit, and both it and the IIcx are only
5 months old.

Does this seem to be a card or monitor problem ?  The CPU ?  I remember
screen problems like this with my old Plus ... oh no.

                                  Happy New Year !               Jack
Jack Lawson
seals@ac.dal.ca

omh@cs.brown.edu (Owen M. Hartnett) (01/02/91)

In article <2520@ac.dal.ca> seals@ac.dal.ca writes:
>Ho ! Ho ! Ho !  arrghh...
>
>After stuffing myself on Christmas goodies for two days, I decided to get
>back to work.  When I started up my IIcx I notice that the display has a slight
>lateral "waver".  This keeps up as long as the machine is on - no warm up
>improvement.
>
>What could be causing this problem ?  I have tried wiggling/tightening
>connectors, degausing the monitor (an Apple 13" RGB) etc.  The card is a
>RasterOps 264 card giving up to 24-bit, and both it and the IIcx are only
>5 months old.
>
>Does this seem to be a card or monitor problem ?  The CPU ?  I remember
>screen problems like this with my old Plus ... oh no.

I had a similar problem with my Apple 13" RGB.  It was from cold solder
joints around the flyback transformer.  To fix, remove the monitor's back
cover, *very carefully* discharge the CRT (read Larry Pina's book on
Macintosh Repair & Upgrade Secrets if you don't know how - this is a
potentially dangerous situation - please be certain you know what you're
doing before attempting it - or find a techie friend who does!).  Remove
the metal cage surrounding the innards.  On the right side of the monitor
(when viewed from the front) is a printed circuit board with the solder
side conveniently facing you.  Near the bottom is an almost closed rign
(i meant to type "ring") of solder joints.  Examine them closely, if one
(or more in my case) has a telltale "ring" inside the joint, it's probably
your problem.  To fix, using a soldering iron and a desoldering bulb or
vacuum pump, heat the solder and remove as much as possible from each joint.
Then resolder with fresh solder, make sure to use correct soldering techniques
(heat the joint, not the solder, etc.)  You can do only the cold joints, or
resolder the whole ring.  Note that if you desolder all the joints before
resoldering any, there is the potential that the transformer might fall
off the board.  To guard against this, make sure there is at least one
solder joint in effect at all times.

-Owen

Owen Hartnett				omh@cs.brown.edu.CSNET
Brown University Computer Science	omh@cs.brown.edu
					uunet!brunix!omh
"Don't wait up for me tonight because I won't be home for a month."

jlc@atux01.UUCP (Jim Collymore) (01/03/91)

Try moving your monitor at least 12" away from your CPU & hard drive.  See if
that helps.

						Jim Collymore