[comp.sys.mac.hardware] UPS and shutdown software????

jacobson@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (R J Jacobson) (01/04/91)

I am looking at the American Power Conversion UPS (uninteruptable power
supply) for my BBS.  The software is
called PowerChute for Appleshare (also by American Power conversion). The
cost for this software and hardware would be $290 from MacWarehouse. I have
asked for literature from them about the hardware and software. The software
blurb in the catalog says " PowerChute for AppleShare.  Automatically shuts
down your AppleShare network when the power fails. It communicates with a
signaling American Power Conversion UPS (such as the 110SE or 370ci). When
power fails it alerts all users and initiates a graceful shutdown of the
network. It uses a piggyback cable so it does not need its own localtalk
connector." I have a question about this software whether it would work
with just the BBS machine attached to it, but it sounds like it would.
Anyone familiar with this software/hardware? Or any other that does the
same thing. I would like to have a UPS with software that would shutdown
the BBS software then the hardware and leave it down til I get back. I am
concerned about what power failures/surges can do to the Hard drive and
especially the CD ROM. When I have tested the CD ROM with a fake power loss
the hard drive reboots when power comes back (after closing opened files
etc) but then it tries to mount the 3 partitions on the CD ROM disk I have
chosen and the system hangs. I am concerned about what this would do if
I were gone for a week, as well as the possibility of my drive getting
fried in a lightning strike.

If anyone has used this software with the 110SE UPS I would like to know
if it does what I want. If not, do you have a suggestion of what hardware
software would do that?  I know that a number of UPS hardware/software
packages exist for the MS-DOS world. But this seems to be the only one
I can find for the Mac world. Are there others that would do what I want?

Please respond by email. Thanks much!!!!!

BITNET  jacobson@uiucux1
ARPANET jacobson%uiucux1@a.cs.uiuc.edu
CSNET   jacobson%uiucux1@uiuc.csnet
USENET  [ihnp4,pur-ee,convex]uiucdcs!uiucuxc!uiucux1!jacobson

Russ Jacobson
Illinois Geological Survey
Champaign, IL 61820
217-244-2425

tj@kona.cs.ucla.edu (Tom Johnson) (01/04/91)

In article <1991Jan3.201116.3056@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> jacobson@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (R J Jacobson) writes:

>I am looking at the American Power Conversion UPS (uninteruptable power
>supply) for my BBS.  The software is

<stuff deleted about MacWarehouse and description of PowerChute>

>connector." I have a question about this software whether it would work
>with just the BBS machine attached to it, but it sounds like it would.
>Anyone familiar with this software/hardware? Or any other that does the
>same thing. I would like to have a UPS with software that would shutdown
>the BBS software then the hardware and leave it down til I get back. I am
>

>Russ Jacobson
>Illinois Geological Survey
>Champaign, IL 61820
>217-244-2425

We recently purchased a couple of APC UPSs. We bought the larger models--
520ESs.  The numbers tell the story.  The 110 provide 100 Volt-Amps, the
370ci provides 370 VA and the 520 provides 520 VA.  The 110SE is designed
to be visually compatible with the compact mac line--platinum color, zero
footprint, etc... The 370ci provides more power for the Mac II series
computers and has a few more bells and whistles (indicator lights and such).
It is designed to sit under the monitor.

They sell a bunch of other models too.  200, 360, 450, 800, 1200VA plus
750 and 1500VA online systems.  The 520, 800, 1200, the 110SE, the 370ci and
both of the online systems have the network interface.

The network interface is simply a DB-9 serial connector:
	pin 1 Control input--lo-to-hi shuts down UPS
	pin 2 RS232 line fell signal--lo-to-hi signals failure
	pin 3 closed = line fail
	pin 4 switch com
	pin 5 closed = low batter
	pin 6-8 unused
	pin 9 ground

The PowerChute software simply monitors pin 3.  When it detects it is closed,
it starts posting events to shutdown AppleShare.  Unfortunately that is
the only software it works with.  I've written my own code which
basically does the same thing, but instead of posting events it triggers
off a QuickKeys 2.0 sequence, which can do just about anything.  We use this
since we are protecting mail servers and have other applications running
in the foreground of AppleShare, so PowerChute won't work for us. My hardware
co-worker is building the hardware part of the interface to control
several machines (instead of one per UPS), and to automatically restart
the machines when the power has come back up.

My informal test of the 520ES was to plug in a IIcx with internal 105Mg
quantum hard disk, ethernet and video cards, an SE/30 with 40Mg HD, an
SE w/ 20Mg HD, and a Wren 170Mg external HD and then pulling the plug.
We got a little over 27 minutes of time on the backup before we got a
low battery warning.  Not too bad.

They provide sizing charts so you can figure out how much power you need to
deliver....for example:
	Mac+ 75VA
	Mac IIcx w/o monitor	120
	Mac IIfx w/o monitor	180
	Typical external drive	 70
	CD-ROM drive		 50

	etc...

Give them a call and ask for their product catalog--it's very informative:
(800) 541 8896 or (401) 789 3710 <fax>

Hope this helps--
Tom

BTW: I'm not in any way affiliated with APC except as a satisfied customer.

--
Tom Johnson      UCLA Computer Science Department
			3413 Boelter Hall, Los Angeles CA 90024 (213)825-2145