[comp.sys.mac.hardware] A Mac II crash...

dmagagno@king.mcs.drexel.edu (David Magagnosc) (01/03/91)

I am posting this mainly for my peace of mind, since I _believe_
I know the answer...

Last night, my Mac II crashed and would not reboot.  It would not
even get to the point of displaying a Mac icon, happy or sad or
otherwise, but would just sit with an entirely gray screen.

I then (after some choice words and a bit of hopping around)
discovered that the keyboard cable was loose in its socket
(keyboard side).  After I put it completely back into place,
everything was fine.

I think I can see that a loose connection might cause communication
errors over the ADB bus which could hang or crash the boot sequence.

So...

1) is this explanation (last sentence) correct?

2) is this explanation complete?  That is, does this behavior
   indicate some other problem which only manifested itself in
   conjunction with the loose cable?

3) Might the attempts to boot with the loose cable cause
   permanent damage to components, and if so, what sort of
   damage might that be and why?

Thanks in advance,

David Magagnosc
Dept. of Math and CS
Drexel University
dmagagno@mcs.drexel.edu

In article <1991Jan2.160301.28198@king.mcs.drexel.edu> dmagagno@king.mcs.drexel.edu (David Magagnosc) writes:

>Last night, my Mac II crashed and would not reboot.  It would not
>even get to the point of displaying a Mac icon, happy or sad or
>otherwise, but would just sit with an entirely gray screen.
>
>I think I can see that a loose connection might cause communication
>errors over the ADB bus which could hang or crash the boot sequence.
>
>So...
>
>1) is this explanation (last sentence) correct?

Don't know, but I've had it happen to me, and have concluded the same thing

>2) is this explanation complete?  That is, does this behavior
>   indicate some other problem which only manifested itself in
>   conjunction with the loose cable?

Not that I know of-- I've seen lots of mac IIs with loose keyboard cables
fail. (the ones in the public labs have security devices which allow the cable
to be made loose but not removed....)

>3) Might the attempts to boot with the loose cable cause
>   permanent damage to components, and if so, what sort of
>   damage might that be and why?

Shorting the ADB bus can damage the mac in such a way so that the keyboard and
mouse don't work (but the power key will start the mac).  Probably a loose
cable could cause this, but if it isn't immediately apparent, I wouldn't
worry about it.