[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Internal hard disk -> Internal hard disk copy on IIci question

stocker@Neon.Stanford.EDU (William Stocker) (12/12/90)

I'd like to get a new, higher capacity internal hard disk for may Mac IIci.
Is it possible to have both the new and the old drives hooked up at the same
time so I can transfer the data from my old drive before I sell it?  Or am
I going to have to buy 100 floppies?  If possible, how hard is the procedure
(ie what are my chances of frying my computer)?  I'm fairly mechanically
inclined; installing more RAM was child's play...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--Will

In article <1990Dec11.203219.3611@Neon.Stanford.EDU> stocker@Neon.Stanford.EDU (William Stocker) writes:
>I'd like to get a new, higher capacity internal hard disk for may Mac IIci.
>Is it possible to have both the new and the old drives hooked up at the same
>time so I can transfer the data from my old drive before I sell it?  Or am
>I going to have to buy 100 floppies?  If possible, how hard is the procedure
>(ie what are my chances of frying my computer)?  I'm fairly mechanically
>inclined; installing more RAM was child's play...

You need a power supply Y Cable, and a 3-connector 50-pin ribbon cable.
The power supply Y can be found anywhere. Then you make sure the SCSI
IDs are differnt (may need a jumper or two for this), connect the two drives
and the mac to the 3-connector ribbon cable (where the 2-connector one is now),
connect the power up, and things should work fine, except your disk is
probably not in a particularly stable (mechanically) position.

What I did when I wanted to connect two internal drives together, though, is
I used an external drive enclosure, took the drive that was in there out,
put the new internal in there, and transferred the info.  Then I put the
original drive back.  Obviously, this is only an option if you have an external
drive around.

I don't know what the power budget of the Mac IIci is-- I know the IIci can
take some of the big (power hungry) Wrens inside, so as long as neither drive
is one of those, you are probably safe.

Mike.Culver@f31.n343.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Mike Culver) (01/07/91)

It's easy to copy from one disk to another!. Simply make certain that the
"new" drive has a different SCSI address than the "old" one.  That's
generally done by setting jumpers. If you're lucky, the docs with the
drive describe how to do this.

--
Mike Culver - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!343!31!Mike.Culver