[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Jasmine Hard Drives.

FHSJFC@BYUVM.BITNET (10/24/90)

I am looking for a 80MB HD (external) for a MAC classic and I came across
an add for Jasmine HDs in MACWORLD.  The prices seem reasonable
and they seem to have won lots of awards but I have never heard of them.

Does anyone out there have personal experience with them?  Are as good
for that price?  Any problems with them?

Thanks,
---Jeff
as I have been led to believe?

pasek@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM (Michael A. Pasek) (10/27/90)

In article <90296.133058FHSJFC@BYUVM.BITNET> FHSJFC@BYUVM.BITNET writes:
>I am looking for a 80MB HD (external) for a MAC classic and I came across
>an add for Jasmine HDs in MACWORLD.  The prices seem reasonable
>and they seem to have won lots of awards but I have never heard of them.

Right after the Mac got SCSI, Jasmine was one of (if not _the_) premier
supplier of drives for the Mac market.

>Does anyone out there have personal experience with them?

Back in the early days (see comment above), I think they used CDC Wren
mechanisms -- I've got a DD80 on my Mac at work (about 2 feet away from me),
but I haven't opened it up to see what the mechanism is.

>Are as good for that price?

Huh ?  I think you wanted to know if they are worth it, but to be perfectly
honest, we have had no dealings with them (or any other drive vendor) since
we got our DD80's (they work fine....why do we need different ones

>Any problems with them?

No, see above.  Jasmine did go through some hard times (Chapter 11 and all
that) as recently as a year ago.  In my opinion, which is all formed from
second (and third, and fourth) hand information, their problems were caused
by their affiliation with a drive mechanism vendor that could not provide
the reliability of the old mechanisms, and it ate Jasmine's lunch to make
good on their warranty.  Personally, I hope they are "much betta now", as
I'm perfectly happy with the drive I've got.

>Thanks,

You're welcome -- and sorry to all the rest of you out there (I could have
mailed this), but I just think that Jasmine's gotten a bad rap.

>---Jeff

M. A. Pasek               Software Development              NCR Comten, Inc.
(612) 638-7668              MNI Development               2700 N. Snelling Ave.
pasek@c10sd3.StPaul.NCR.COM                               Roseville, MN  55113

stuart@cbnewsc.att.com (stuart.d.ericson) (10/31/90)

In article <681@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM>, pasek@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM (Michael A. Pasek) writes:
[good experience personally, explains jasmine vs. rodime and chapter 11]
> mailed this), but I just think that Jasmine's gotten a bad rap.

Well, I don't think it was just a 'bad rap'. Their problems with Rodime
caused a LOT of pain to customers.  I sent in a failed drive 9/9/89, they
were kind to send me a loaner, except that it ALSO failed!  I didn't get
a replacement until 2/15/90 - 5 MONTHS without my hard-earned disk.  And
*I* was LUCKY to get ANYTHING those days.  It took over 30 hours on the phone
hassling them.  If you are wondering why I have the exact dates, it is
because the replacement is now experiencing difficulties, so I had to
dredge up all the old paperwork for warranty repair.

I called them up yesterday, and they quoted me 30-60 days for turn-around
on repair.  What a USELESS warranty!  I guess I'll have to buy a new
disk so I can use my machine for the months that they fix mine.  Some
deal!  From all the reports I've heard, APS is highly recommended for
service and price: 1-800-233-7550.

By the way, does anyone know who was doing those third-party repairs
for Jasmines with Rodime or C.Itoh mechanisms?  I thought I read that
they were honoring the Jasmine warrantees.

Stuart "Well, *I* wouldn't buy Jasmine again" Ericson

--
Stuart Ericson                  AT&T Bell Laboratories
USEnet: att!ihlpa!stuart        IH 1C215

kevin@crash.cts.com (Kevin Hill) (01/07/91)

In <4289@peyote.cactus.org> brisbin@peyote.cactus.org (Shelly Brisbin) writes:

>In article <16857@cgl.ucsf.EDU>, bic@cgl.ucsf.edu (Bruce Cohen) writes:
>>
>> 	A friend wants an inexpensive hard drive for a MacPlus.  What
>> do you think about the Jasmine portable 40MB advertised for $299?
>>
>> 	Thanks.
>>
>> -Bruc

>xMy only experience with this drive is that a friend of mine who ordered one
>has been waiting several weeks (two months) actually) for hers to arrive. She
>tells me that in making queries similar to yours, she has found noone who has
>actually received one of these drives, but that the ads continue to appear in
>the Mac mags.
>--
>brisbin@peyote.cactus.org

I have ordered and received a drive from Jasmine.  the jasmine portable 40meg
for $299.  As a matter of fact, I ordered in 12/31/90 and received it on 1/3/91.
and it had been delivered 1/2/91, but I wasn't home.  So I am very happy with
Jasmine at the moment, and the drive is working like a charm, although the
software that they sent with the drive, doesn't want to recognize the drive
as a Jasmine Drive.  So if I ever need to low level format it, I could have some
problems.