[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Quantum Spinning Its Platters

mhowitt@pro-angmar.UUCP (Matt Howitt) (12/29/90)

Hi all in netland!

I have a problem that I have seen mentioned before but I've never seem to have
gotten an answer.  I have a Quantum 105 Meg HD about 1 year old that I
purchased from LaCie in a Cirrus configuration.  This drive has a 5 year
warrantee, so I'm not out of it (yet).

Anyway, I seem to have a chronic problem.  Sometimes when I access the drive,
its platters will keep spinning (or some other grinding noise happens, I think
it is the platters) until I access the drive again.

I checked it with Norton Disk Doctor and got a total clean bill of health.
I ran Speed Disk wondering if it was a fragmentation problem and optimized all
partitions.  It went away for a bit (or was it my imagination?)
but then came right back.  My drives have < 3% fragmentation and it still does
this!  Help!

Matt Howitt                |  InterNet: mhowitt@pro-angmar.alphalpha.com
Twisted-Pair Consulting    |  UUCP:  ...uunet!alphalpha!pro-angmar!mhowitt
---------------------------|  FidoNet:  Matt Howitt on 1:101/121

toad@athena.mit.edu (John P. Jackson) (12/30/90)

In article <0.mac.hardware@pro-angmar> mhowitt@pro-angmar.UUCP (Matt Howitt) writes:
>Hi all in netland!
>
>I have a problem that I have seen mentioned before but I've never seem to have
>gotten an answer.  I have a Quantum 105 Meg HD about 1 year old that I
>purchased from LaCie in a Cirrus configuration.  This drive has a 5 year
>warrantee, so I'm not out of it (yet).
>
>Anyway, I seem to have a chronic problem.  Sometimes when I access the drive,
>its platters will keep spinning (or some other grinding noise happens, I think
>it is the platters) until I access the drive again.

Well, one thing that this could be, and it's specific to quantum drives, is
a ROM routine that excercises the read/write head mechanism when the drive
senses that the lubricant for this assembley is becoming too viscous.  About
a year and a half ago, many Apple customers began experiencing startup problems
with their hard drives.  The problem was found to be in Quantum drives that
Apple OEM'd.  The drives read/write head mechanism was lubricated with a
grease that became too sticky when it absorbed moisture.  When this happened,
it wouldn't move after the computer had been turned off for a while.  Quantum's
solution to this was to replace the drive's ROM with one that included a
routine that caused the heads to be moved rapidly back and forth from time to
time to insure that the lubricant didn't begin to set.
I would think that they would have corrected this in some other way by now,
but you never know.  I would say that you should definitely get in contact
with whomever you bought the drive from, and ask them about it.  If your
really are hearing a GRINDING sound, then it may be something else.  In any
case, contacting who you got it from will help to CYA if the drive dies a day
out of warranty.  Good luck!

JJ
(-;

John.P..Jackson@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (John P. Jackson) (12/31/90)

--
John P. Jackson - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!John.P..Jackson

bobo@pecan15.cray.com (Bob Kierski) (01/08/91)

The platters on a HD spin from the time you turn in on until the time
you turn it off.  It takes about 7 - 10 seconds to spin up to speed and
about 45 seconds to stop spinning when you turn it off.  So...  If you notice
that it stops spinning while you have it on... Then there is a problem.
I too have a Q105 and have experienced some noise from it.  I've been told
however that it may be a lubrication problem.  It also doesn't seem to cause
me any data problems.  Its just that every once in a while, if I have a head acke, it iritates me.  My service people told me that the only thing to do is
replace it.
--

Have a day,

In article <1990Dec30.103450.11346@athena.mit.edu>, toad@athena.mit.edu (John P. Jackson) writes:

|> Well, one thing that this could be, and it's specific to quantum drives, is
|> a ROM routine that excercises the read/write head mechanism when the drive
|> senses that the lubricant for this assembley is becoming too viscous.  About
|> a year and a half ago, many Apple customers began experiencing startup problems
|> with their hard drives.  The problem was found to be in Quantum drives that
|> Apple OEM'd.  The drives read/write head mechanism was lubricated with a
|> grease that became too sticky when it absorbed moisture.  When this happened,
|> it wouldn't move after the computer had been turned off for a while.  Quantum's
|> solution to this was to replace the drive's ROM with one that included a
|> routine that caused the heads to be moved rapidly back and forth from time to
|> time to insure that the lubricant didn't begin to set.
|> I would think that they would have corrected this in some other way by now,
|> but you never know.  I would say that you should definitely get in contact
|> with whomever you bought the drive from, and ask them about it.  If your
|> really are hearing a GRINDING sound, then it may be something else.  In any
|> case, contacting who you got it from will help to CYA if the drive dies a day
|> out of warranty.  Good luck!

That was the Q80.  And I thought the solution was to increase tork at startup.
--

Have a day,