[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Help! My si needs an FPU

heuring@spot.Colorado.EDU (Heuring Vincent P) (01/09/91)

After looking (and not paying attention to) all the postings
about the si needing a floating point chip,  I now find that
Wingz needs one to operate.  Two quick questions:

1)  What is the INIT I have heard about that provides software
    emulation of an FPU, and where can I get it?

2)  With no real hardware expansion in mind now, should I get
    the Nubus adapter or the Processor Direct adapter when I
    purchase the FPU?

hamilton@kickapoo.cs.iastate.edu (Jon Hamilton) (01/10/91)

heuring@spot.Colorado.EDU (Heuring Vincent P) writes:

>After looking (and not paying attention to) all the postings
>about the si needing a floating point chip,  I now find that
>Wingz needs one to operate.  Two quick questions:
[...]

You should have gotten two versions of Wingz when you bought the product.
One is for '020 and '030 machines with an FPU, and the other is a 68000
version.  The 68000 version should work fine on your //si.  Alternatively,
you could use PseudoFPU to fool the FPU-requiring version of Wingz, but
that would probably slow it down quite a bit.

--

%  Internet       : hamilton@kickapoo.cs.iastate.edu | Insert cute and/or %
%  America Online : JonHam                           | deeply meaningful  %