[comp.sys.mac.hardware] More than one Mac partition on an Apple drive?

time@tbomb.ice.com (Tim Endres) (01/11/91)

In article <18825@shlump.nac.dec.com>, long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) writes:
>  With Apple HD Setup and an Apple hard disk, is it possible to create more
>  than one Mac partition? If so, how? If not, why?

Not with Apple's software.
Why? Apple apparently decided that supporting multiple MacOS partitions
on a single drive is "a hack".

The support of a multiple MacOS partitioned drive doesn't really exist
in the ROM. (Actually, it exists in some places and not in others).
In order to accomplish the task, vendors have to write code to handle
mounting and handling the multiple partitions.

I can not remember the reasons that Apple states for desiring only
one MacOS partition per drive, but they were not tremendously
compelling. The only other detail to consider is that A/UX supports
only one MacOS partition.

You can purchase one of many driver utility programs available commercially
(almost all below $99) and get this capacity.

tim.

Tim Endres                |  time@ice.com
ICE Engineering           |  uupsi!ice.com!time
8840 Main Street          |
Whitmore Lake MI. 48189   |  (313) 449 8288

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) (01/11/91)

 With Apple HD Setup and an Apple hard disk, is it possible to create more
 than one Mac partition? If so, how? If not, why?

 Thanks very much,

Richard C. Long  *  long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com
                 *  ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long
                 *  long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com

In article <18825@shlump.nac.dec.com> long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) writes:

> With Apple HD Setup and an Apple hard disk, is it possible to create more
> than one Mac partition? If so, how? If not, why?

No, because the driver isn't written to support it.  Get Silverlining or
something similiar.

stanfiel@testeng1.misemi (Chris Stanfield) (01/12/91)

In article <18825@shlump.nac.dec.com> long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) writes:

> With Apple HD Setup and an Apple hard disk, is it possible to create more
> than one Mac partition? If so, how? If not, why?
I would recommend Hard Disk Partition, by FWB. It is inexpensive and
allows you to create multiple partitions, some or all of which can be
protected by passwords. If not so protected, they may be auto-mounted
on startup. The only limitation is that you need system 5.2 or higher
(shouldn't be a problem :-)). There is also a package called
Silverlining, which has got good press, but I haven't used it. I
belive it is more expensive, and is aimed at laregr hard drives.

Chris Stanfield, Mitel Corporation: E-mail to:- uunet!mitel!testeng1!stanfiel
(613) 592 2122 Ext.4960
We do not inherit the world from our parents - we borrow it from our children.

blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) (01/12/91)

time@tbomb.ice.com (Tim Endres) writes:

>In article <1991Jan11.131159.26699@zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu>, edgar@shape.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) writes:
>>
>> Does Apple's CD ROM software support multiple volumes on a single CD?
>I believe the same is true of the CD ROM. It usually has only a single
>Macintosh partition, possibly others (A/UX). I do not know if the
>Apple CD ROM Driver is capable of handling multiple partitions, but
>I seriously doubt that it does.

Right you are, Tim.  The Apple CD-ROM driver supports the standard Apple
partitioning scheme;  this means one Mac partition per disk.  You can
have other partitions on a CD-ROM.  For instance, the Developer CD we
ship to our registered partners has an Apple II partition on it, and the
A/UX distribution CD has both a Macintosh and A/UX partition.

For a driver supporting multiple partitions, I suggest you look at third
party solutions such as Optical Media International or Trantor Systems,
both in the 408 area code (Los Gatos and San Jose, California,
respectively.)

--Brian Bechtel     blob@apple.com     "My opinion, not Apple's"

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) (01/12/91)

 Can any of the partitioning utilities mentioned do automatic encryption (say,
 in the manner of DiskDoubler doing compression) on a partition?

 What I'm looking for is for a file saved to that partition be encrypted going
 out, and then decrypted coming in on an open. Either per-file or whole
 partition encryption keys would be fine.

 Thanks...