[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Bug.out file turning up frequently

gt4586c@prism.gatech.EDU (WILLETT,THOMAS CARTER) (01/11/91)

After returning my IIci to my office at school (I kept it safe at home over the
break), I've noticed that a file called "Bug.out" keeps showing up on my
hard drive.  It seems to happen occassionally after I've been logged onto the
network.  I use VersaTerm Pro to talk to the net.  The file type is document,
under where it says "Tardis, SCSI 0".  Tardis is the name of my hard drive
(105MB Quantum internal).  The file is empty.  Does anybody know what is
happening here?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

- tom willett
  gt4586c@prism.gatech.edu

--
thomas willett
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta

bcs.jim@pro-angmar.UUCP (Jim Rinaldo) (01/12/91)

Thomas:
1st, I would talk with the Sys admin, since it may be some type of tracking
file that they use for some reason.

2nd, I would be a little worried: that file is pointing to your storage
device; what if some devious little Georgia Peach Worm decided to start
chewing on the drive?

Again, ask someone who a-knows about the net yer connecting to and b-would
have knowledge of some such thing as a network storage sharing scheme or
something (meaning not some dumb computer window TA, but the next level up)

Jim Rinaldo
Editor, Computer-Aided Publishing Solutions (CAPs)
The Boston Computer Society
BCS: (617) 367-8080, FAX: 367-8530

pro-angmar!BCS.Jim@alfalfa.com

david_islander_hughes@cup.portal.com (01/13/91)

If the file worries you that much I suggest using
"Temperment II" CDEV and have it remove the file
automatically.
Hafa Adai from Saipan