[comp.sys.mac.hardware] TCP/IP and AppleTalk packets through a bridge

tom@convex1.tcs.tulane.edu (Tom Gerace) (01/09/91)

We have two LocalTalk networks which are interconnected using a
Shiva NetBridge.  We have a Cayman Systems GatorBox connected to
one network which we use for Ethernet connectivity using NCSA
Telnet.  Telnet communications on this network works fine.

The problem:  We cannot communicate from the second network,
through the Shiva NetBridge, to the GatorBox using Telnet.
It SEEMS as though the NetBridge is not allowing the packets
generated by Telnet to pass through it to the other network.

Shiva technical support has told us that "anything AppleTalk
will pass through".  But we could get no clarification on using
a product like Telnet.

Anyone have any successes?
Do you know if Telnet is sending non-AppleTalk packets? or some
other format that the NetBridge doesn't like?

Any help and/or information will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Tom Gerace  tom@rs1.tcs.tulane.edu
Tulane Computing Services
Tulane University
New Orleans, LA  USA

drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) (01/10/91)

In article <5588@rex.cs.tulane.edu> tom@convex1.tcs.tulane.edu (Tom
Gerace) writes:
> We have two LocalTalk networks which are interconnected using a
> Shiva NetBridge.  We have a Cayman Systems GatorBox connected to
> one network which we use for Ethernet connectivity using NCSA
> Telnet.  Telnet communications on this network works fine.
>
> The problem:  We cannot communicate from the second network,
> through the Shiva NetBridge, to the GatorBox using Telnet.
> It SEEMS as though the NetBridge is not allowing the packets
> generated by Telnet to pass through it to the other network.

I don't think the NetBridge is the problem. We have a similar setup here,
except that we use a FastPath 4 instead of a GatorBox and have two
NetBridges instead of one. The FastPath is in the middle of the three
connected LocalTalk segments. We've had no trouble with either the MacTCP
version of Telnet or the older version with built-in drivers from any
segment. Perhaps your GatorBox is not configured correctly to pass IP
packets?

David Gutierrez
drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu

"Only fools are positive." - Moe Howard

hobson@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Kevin Hobson) (01/14/91)

In article <5588@rex.cs.tulane.edu> tom@convex1.tcs.tulane.edu (Tom Gerace) writes:

> We have two LocalTalk networks which are interconnected using a
> Shiva NetBridge.  We have a Cayman Systems GatorBox connected to
> one network which we use for Ethernet connectivity using NCSA
> Telnet.  Telnet communications on this network works fine.
>
> The problem:  We cannot communicate from the second network,
> through the Shiva NetBridge, to the GatorBox using Telnet.
> It SEEMS as though the NetBridge is not allowing the packets
> generated by Telnet to pass through it to the other network.

Do you have a different zonename associated with the second network.
If you do, you have the fill in the "Zone=" parameter in NCSA telnet
config.tel with the zonename where the gatorbox is in (first network).
The gatorbox is sending out the IP Address assignment but is is in a
different zonename. Please check this out first.
--
Kevin Hobson				Internet: hobson@rutgers.edu
Rutgers - The State University		UUCP: {backbone}!rutgers!hobson