[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mobius 030 Accelerator & Two Page Display

kfield@bbn.com (Ken Field) (01/10/91)

Does anyone have any experience or information about this company
and/or this product?  It is purported to be an 030 accelerator for
the SE built around the Motorola 68EC030, with a Zenith two-page
display, all for around $1.2K.  Sounds pretty good to me.
(I saw all of this in the new (8Jan91) issue of MacWeek, so
don't send me back there for more info.)

-Ken

Ken Field
BBN Systems & Technologies   |  internet:  kfield@bbn.com
Mail Stop 6/4B               |  telephone: 617-873-3842
10 Moulton Street            |
Cambridge, MA  02138-1191    |
USA                          |

Adam.Frix@p2.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (01/11/91)

kfield@bbn.com (Ken Field) writes:

KF> Does anyone have any experience or information about this company
KF> and/or this product? It is purported to be an 030 accelerator
KF> for the SE built around the Motorola 68EC030, with a Zenith two-page
KF> display, all for around $1.2K.

Hope you're not one of those getting all excited about getting virtual memory
with an 030 board.  The 68EC030 can't do that.  You _did_ read that part, right?
 Along with the part about the EC costing about 1/4 that of the 68030, and that's
why these boards are so inexpensive.

--Adam--

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200.2!Adam.Frix

jr@amanue.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) (01/14/91)

In <129781.278EBBE0@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG> Adam.Frix@p2.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) writes:

>Hope you're not one of those getting all excited about getting virtual memory
>with an 030 board.  The 68EC030 can't do that.

Wrong, and right.  Right that the 68EC030 has no MMU.  Wrong that the *board*
can't do virtual memory.  I talked to someone at Mobius and he told me they
designed a socket for a PMMU onto the board.  It *will* do virtual memory if
you buy the PMMU option.  I don't remember now what he said that would cost
extra -- something like $250.

I'm *very* interested in this myself.  Has someone seen the monitor?  The
fellow I talked to from Mobius said this was the same tube that Radius uses.
Methinks he was mistaken.  The MacUser article I have lists Zenith as the
manufacturer for the MegaGraphics Rival, but not Radius.  Maybe that's what he
meant.

I asked about memory.  The board will either use the SE memory you have or you
can load it up with 4M SIMMs.  He said they'd tested it with System 7.  I asked
about A/UX, and he said "not tested".

He said they were getting overwhelmed with interest in this, and I don't doubt
it.  The Mobius 1-page display has gotten pretty favorable comment on the net;
if the two-page display is decent, hey, this is a DEAL!
--
 Jim Rosenberg                                               -- cgh!amanue!jr
     CIS: 71515,124                              UUCP:         /    /    |