[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Sharing Harddrive.... sharing software?

macman@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Dennis H Lippert) (01/10/91)

Uh, not to be a real pain.... but wouldn't sharing a hard drive mean that
the software would technically be installed on two machines?

This sounds illegal to me!

But it is none of my business.

Dennis Lippert - macman@unix.cis.pitt.edu

Note** no flames please, just having fun.
These opinions are not my employer's... they have none!

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (01/10/91)

From article <77158@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, by macman@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Dennis H Lippert):
> Uh, not to be a real pain.... but wouldn't sharing a hard drive mean that
> the software would technically be installed on two machines?
>
> This sounds illegal to me!

It's only *installed* on one machine, but the situation in question
means it could be *used* on > 1 machine simultaneously.  So, yes,
that may violate licensing restrictions and be illegal.

Some licenses restrict use to one person at a time but allow multiple
installation, so presumably if only one of the two people sharing the
drive were using such a program, it'd be OK.
--
Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

francis@uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (01/15/91)

In article <1991Jan11.215912.9621@cs.umn.edu> aslakson@cs.umn.edu (Brian Aslakson) writes:

   ta-dw30@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (David Worenklein) writes:

   [...]

   >I believe (although I'm not versed in the laws) that most software companies
   >allow you to move your software from one computer to another, as long as there
   >is no chance that the software is being run simultaneously on two machines.
   This is what I understand.

   [Explanation of user-based enforcement of single-launching.]
   No.  The software could be run on two machines.  When I talked to MicroSoft
   they said specifically that this was a no no (I asked).

How about if you altered the SIZE resource to tell the Finder to
disallow multiple launches? Would MS then scream that you're not
allowed to modify their program?

| Francis Stracke		| My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|
| University of Chicago		| Until you stalk and overrun,	     	      |
| francis@zaphod.uchicago.edu	|  you can't devour anyone. -- Hobbes 	      |