[net.columbia] Escape tower for shuttle orbiter?

wales@ucla-cs.UUCP (03/07/86)

Much of the following may be "brainstorming".  I wouldn't be surprised
at all if the engineers have already thought of everything I say in this
message and dismissed it as infeasible.  But, just in case it might be
useful . . . .

How about attaching an "escape tower" to the shuttle orbiter?  An escape
tower, as I understand it, is an auxiliary rocket attached to the front
of the orbiter, which would be used in an emergency to allow the orbiter
to get away from a dangerous situation.  I believe they have been used
in various American and Soviet "space capsule" missions.

Presumably, an escape tower could allow an abort (currently impossible)
during the SRB burn phase.  By supplying a secondary, independent thrust
source, it could also make an abort more likely to be survivable if a
premature ET separation were required after SRB burnout (between about 2
and 9 minutes after liftoff).  An escape tower could even allow an abort
during the earliest stages of liftoff, if I understand the principle.

An escape-tower rocket would have to be powerful enough to provide an
acceleration (to the orbiter alone) significantly greater than that pro-
vided by the SME's and SRB's to the entire launch vehicle (including
ET's and SRB's).  Less acceleration would not allow the orbiter to
detach from the ET with the SRB's still burning.

The escape-tower rocket would not have to last nearly as long as the
SME's and SRB's, of course -- though in order to allow an abort from the
launch pad, the escape tower would have to last long enough so that the
shuttle could reach an airworthy speed and perform a successful RTLS
abort.

Presumably, the escape tower could use a solid rocket -- since it would
be possible, I assume, to jettison it at any time.  The self-destruct
system on the launch vehicle would obviously have to allow destruction
of the ET and/or the SRB's without destroying the escape tower.

There is the issue of how to keep the exhaust from the escape-tower
rocket from damaging the orbiter (or the tower connecting the rocket to
the orbiter).  I assume, though, that this problem is already well un-
derstood, from experience with earlier space missions.

The physical connections between the orbiter and the ET would have to be
redesigned so as to allow a quick disconnect upon activation of the
escape tower.  There is also the significant question of how to detach
the umbilicals feeding the SME's in such a way that the orbiter could
get away before leaking LH/LOX caused an explosion of its own.

I suppose the nozzle of the escape-tower rocket would have to be gim-
balled (under control of the orbiter's computers).

Obviously, even an escape tower would not help if there were no advance
warning of a disaster.  However, it would seem that an accident such as
that which befell Challenger could have been detected in time for an
escape-tower abort, with additional sensors and/or real-time monitoring.

Comments?
--
Rich Wales // UCLA Computer Science Department // +1 213-825-5683
	3531 Boelter Hall // Los Angeles, California 90024 // USA

lynx@qantel.UUCP (D.N. Lynx Crowe@ex2207) (03/08/86)

Re:  The escape tower idea

It wouldn't be necessary to have the entire orbiter be detached from the
ET and SRB's, just the crew compartment.  The main problem with this, I
think, would be in making the crew compartment separable from the rest
of the orbiter.  A much smaller escape tower motor could then be used.

D.N. Lynx Crowe

"Governments should be considered guilty until proven otherwise."

desj@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (David desJardins) (03/09/86)

In article <588@qantel.UUCP> lynx@qantel.UUCP (D.N. Lynx Crowe@ex2207) writes:

>It wouldn't be necessary to have the entire orbiter be detached from the
>ET and SRB's, just the crew compartment.  The main problem with this, I
>think, would be in making the crew compartment separable from the rest
>of the orbiter.  A much smaller escape tower motor could then be used.

   I hate to sound callous, but I don't see the point of all of this just
to save the crew.  If you could save the orbiter, that would be great, but
you are talking about something that has got to cost hundreds of millions
of dollars just to save the crew.  Doesn't this seem a trifle excessive?

   -- David desJardins

vgfranceschi@watcgl.UUCP (Valerio Franceschin) (03/10/86)

> In article <588@qantel.UUCP> lynx@qantel.UUCP (D.N. Lynx Crowe@ex2207) writes:
> >
> >It wouldn't be necessary to have the entire orbiter be detached from the
> >ET and SRB's, just the crew compartment.  The main problem with this, I
> >think, would be in making the crew compartment separable from the rest
> >of the orbiter.  A much smaller escape tower motor could then be used.
>
>    I hate to sound callous, but I don't see the point of all of this just
> to save the crew.  If you could save the orbiter, that would be great, but
> you are talking about something that has got to cost hundreds of millions
> of dollars just to save the crew.  Doesn't this seem a trifle excessive?
>
>    -- David desJardins

You don't sound callous, you sound like a neanderthal SAVAGE!

Valerio Franceschin

holloway@drivax.UUCP (Bruce Holloway) (03/10/86)

That'd have to be one h**l of a rocket to lift the orbiter far. Anyways, the
orbiter is at least slightly maneuverable, whereas the Mercury/Gemini/Apollo
capsules weren't. Assuming that the orbiter could get away from the boosters,
it should be able to use its airfoils to correct its position....

.... now THERE's an idea -- a rocket used specifically to get the orbiter
as far away as possible from the boosters? Something like using the entire
orbiter as an ejection seat? But could it get far enough away in time? Hmmm...

|Whatever I write are not the opinions or policies of Digital Research, Inc.,|
|and probably won't be in the foreseeable future.                            |

Bruce Holloway

....!ucbvax!hplabs!amdahl!drivax!holloway
(I'm not THAT Bruce Holloway, I'm the other one.)

ronc@fai.UUCP (Ronald O. Christian) (03/10/86)

In article <322@drivax.UUCP> holloway@drivax.UUCP (Bruce Holloway) writes:
>That'd have to be one h**l of a rocket to lift the orbiter far. Anyways, the
>orbiter is at least slightly maneuverable, whereas the Mercury/Gemini/Apollo
>capsules weren't...
***

It occurs to me that the orbiter has a really nice rocket already built
in.  Only needs a fuel source other than the external tank.  Perhaps the
shuttle itself should carry enough fuel for emergency manuvers should it
have to jettison the external tank?  Or has this been suggested before?
Since the engines are already firing, this would involve switching the
shuttle fuel source to internal, detach from the tank, then steering
the shuttle away from the SRB/tank (and the SRB's away from the shuttle).

The downside would be that this would decrease the payload capacity of
the shuttle.  And I understand the shuttle already carries less payload
to lower orbits than was intended.

Besides, I have a feeling that even this capability would not have helped
the Challenger.

				Ron
		Ronald O. Christian (Fujitsu America Inc., San Jose, Calif.)
		ihnp4!pesnta!fai!ronc

Oliver's law of assumed responsibility:
	"If you are seen fixing it, you will be blamed for breaking it."

kwh@bentley.UUCP (KW Heuer) (03/11/86)

In article <418@watcgl.UUCP> wwatcgl!vgfranceschi (Valerio Franceschin) writes:
[ David desJardins writes: ]
>>    I hate to sound callous, but I don't see the point of all of this just
>> to save the crew.  If you could save the orbiter, that would be great, but
>> you are talking about something that has got to cost hundreds of millions
>> of dollars just to save the crew.  Doesn't this seem a trifle excessive?

>You don't sound callous, you sound like a neanderthal SAVAGE!

Do you have airbags in your car?  If not, would you pay a million dollars
to have them installed?  They do save lives.

phoenix@genat.UUCP (phoenix) (03/12/86)

In article <418@watcgl.UUCP> vgfranceschi@watcgl.UUCP (Valerio Franceschin) writes:
>> In article <588@qantel.UUCP> lynx@qantel.UUCP (D.N. Lynx Crowe@ex2207) writes:
>> >
>> >It wouldn't be necessary to have the entire orbiter be detached from the
>> >ET and SRB's, just the crew compartment.  The main problem with this, I
>> >think, would be in making the crew compartment separable from the rest
>> >of the orbiter.  A much smaller escape tower motor could then be used.
>>
>>    I hate to sound callous, but I don't see the point of all of this just
>> to save the crew.  If you could save the orbiter, that would be great, but
>> you are talking about something that has got to cost hundreds of millions
>> of dollars just to save the crew.  Doesn't this seem a trifle excessive?
>>
>>    -- David desJardins
>
>You don't sound callous, you sound like a neanderthal SAVAGE!
>
>Valerio Franceschin

The point is, that orbiters, though expensive are REPLACEABLE:  Life, human
or otherwise, is not.  If the crew were not important, the orbiter would be
unmanned, would it not?  The contribution of the crew is unique, not to be
replaceable by computers or remote control.  The orbiter is *not* unique,
only the crew is.  The fact that human lives, an irreplaceable resource,  are
used at all and thus placed at risk proves the value of their input to the
mission.  Should they not, therefore be more important to save than the
orbiter is?
--
					The Phoenix
					(Neither Bright, Dark, nor Young)

---"A man should live forever...or die trying."
---"There is no substitute for good manners...except fast reflexes."

rsk@pucc-j (Wombat) (03/13/86)

>> In article <588@qantel.UUCP> lynx@qantel.UUCP (D.N. Lynx Crowe@ex2207) writes:
>>>
>>>It wouldn't be necessary to have the entire orbiter be detached from the
>>>ET and SRB's, just the crew compartment.  The main problem with this, I
>>>think, would be in making the crew compartment separable from the rest
>>>of the orbiter.  A much smaller escape tower motor could then be used.

Good point.  Several of us around here speculated on the problem of
pulling the entire orbiter away from the booster package, and concluded
that there didn't seem to be a reasonable way to do it.  A detachable
crew compartment carries its own engineering problems, of course (for
instance, ensuring that it doesn't detach until you want it to) but the
same sort of escape towers used on previous manned missions should be
adequate for the job.  One consideration which caused us considerable
speculation was the effect of the "roll" (performed shortly after launch)
on an attempted escape via such a tower.  Perhaps someone conversant in
the aerodynamics involved could comment on whether or not this would
be a problem?

Now then; we also have this exchange:

David desJardins:
>    I hate to sound callous, but I don't see the point of all of this just
> to save the crew.  If you could save the orbiter, that would be great, but
> you are talking about something that has got to cost hundreds of millions
> of dollars just to save the crew.  Doesn't this seem a trifle excessive?

Valerio Franceschin:
>You don't sound callous, you sound like a neanderthal SAVAGE!

Actually, this kind of cost-vs-human-lives thinking goes on all the
time; it's just that we don't think about it a lot, or we don't easily
admit thinking about it.  Failure to put a cap on the funds spent on
astronaut safety, for instance, would result in an astronomical (sorry)
amount of money being spent.  It would probably also spell the end of
the space program--since one can never be 100.0% sure that the
astronauts would be safe.  [Think about this in terms of bicycle
engineering, for instance, to gain some perspective.]  *IF* the people
at NASA do their job, and are competent engineers and physicists, then
the amount of money and effort expended on safety is enough to reach
the point of diminishing returns -- and perhaps cross over it, just a bit.

The question to be answered here (if, say, an escape tower system would
cost $100 million) is: "Is the added margin of safety worth $100
million?".  Of course, the people that have to answer this are NASA
officials, scientists, engineers -- and the astronauts.  Note that
there is always the possible that the installation of such a system
might actually make the spacecraft *less safe*.

This problem falls in the domain of risk analysis and safety
engineering, not in that of emotional moralizing.
--
Rich Kulawiec  pucc-j!rsk or rsk@asc.purdue.edu

wagner@utcs.uucp (Michael Wagner) (03/13/86)

I'm not sure I liked the approach, but a recent issue of FORTUNE
came up with several ways of assessing the value of life.
It was phrased in terms of how much people value their own lives,
i.e. how much people will protect themselvesby using protective or
safety gear.

I think the number they came up with was about one million $ U.S.
per person with a very high variance.  Sorry, I don't have the article
here to check.

Michael Wagner (wagner@utcs)

timothym@tekigm2.UUCP (Timothy D Margeson) (03/13/86)

In article <627@bentley.UUCP> kwh@bentley.UUCP (KW Heuer) writes:
>In article <418@watcgl.UUCP> wwatcgl!vgfranceschi (Valerio Franceschin) writes:
>[ David desJardins writes: ]
>>>    I hate to sound callous, but I don't see the point of all of this just
>>> to save the crew.  If you could save the orbiter, that would be great, but
>>> you are talking about something that has got to cost hundreds of millions
>>> of dollars just to save the crew.  Doesn't this seem a trifle excessive?
>
>>You don't sound callous, you sound like a neanderthal SAVAGE!
>
>Do you have airbags in your car?  If not, would you pay a million dollars
>to have them installed?  They do save lives.

Hear hear for the airbags. I don't have cause they arn't offered for my car,
so I use what I do have... the belts. Toodles....

--
Tim Margeson (206)253-5240
tektronix!tekigm2!timothym                   @@   'Who said that?'

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (03/13/86)

> Do you have airbags in your car?  If not, would you pay a million dollars
> to have them installed?  They do save lives.

I think this analogy is fallacious.  It would make more sense to take the
ratio    (cost of shuttle safety mechanism) / (cost of shuttle) = r
and then multiply r * (cost of car)... you could then ask if the person is
willing to pay that much.  The reason is that a person's individual budget
is much smaller than NASA's, and arguing that a person wouldn't be willing
(or more accurately, able) to pay "millions" for car airbags has little to
do with NASA paying "millions" for additional shuttle safety -- they've
already started doing that anyway, with the redesign of the o-rings.

[Besides which airbags tend to be an emotional issue for some people, and
thus it's not clear whether a person would be willing to pay for something
the person is afraid may frighten the person by going off.]
--
E. Roskos

desj@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (David desJardins) (03/18/86)

vgfranceschi@watcgl.UUCP (Valerio Franceschin) in <418@watcgl.UUCP>:
>You don't sound callous, you sound like a neanderthal SAVAGE!

   Ugh!  Ugh!  :-)

kwh@bentley.UUCP (Karl Heuer) in <627@bentley.UUCP>:
>Do you have airbags in your car?  If not, would you pay a million dollars
>to have them installed?  They do save lives.

   Yes.  Exactly right.  People are free to choose the value of their own
lives.  Of necessity, they assign a finite value to their own lives (other-
wise the risk of crossing the street would be unacceptable!).  The astro-
nauts have made the decision that the value of their lives is not too great
to risk on the shuttle.

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) in <2024@peora.UUCP>:
>I think this analogy is fallacious.  It would make more sense to take the
>ratio    (cost of shuttle safety mechanism) / (cost of shuttle) = r
>and then multiply r * (cost of car)... you could then ask if the person is
>willing to pay that much.  The reason is that a person's individual budget
>is much smaller than NASA's ...

   NO!  One life is one life.  Why is an astronaut's life so much more
valuable than the life of any other person?
   And, if the shuttle were twice as expensive, how could this possibly
make the astronaut's lives twice as valuable??

desj@brahms (David desJardins):

vgfranceschi@watcgl.UUCP (Valerio Franceschin) in <453@watcgl.UUCP>:
>So why didn't you say that instead of providing that blatantly fallacious
>analogy?  I'm glad it was someone else and not I that pointed it out.

   It's not my analogy, but I stand by it 100%.   What is the "blatant
fallacy" to which you refer?

>Of course cost-vs-safety factors have to be considered, NASA has a limited
>budget.  What ticked me off about David's posting is his suggestion that
>the orbiter is more precious than "just the crew."  This is the same kind
>of criminal mentality employed by nuclear strategists when they talk of
>10 million casualties during a nuclear exchange to be "acceptable."  I'm
>sorry but I value human life and I find this reasoning to be repulsive.
>I stand by my original comment!

   It seems to me that when you admit that cost-vs-safety factors must be
considered, you have admitted the validity of my point of view.  You must
fix some value on saving the lives of the crew (how otherwise can you weigh
cost against safety!?).  For the sake of discussion I will propose a value
of $10M.  But the actual number is not important.  What is important is
that it is finite.  I happen to believe it should be (substantially) less
than the replacement cost of the orbiter.  Maybe you disagree (if you wish,
we can discuss this point once we have resolved the main point).  The point
is, that if the orbiter becomes more and more expensive, eventually it
becomes worth more than the lives of the crew.  Is this not clear?  The
crew is not more valuable just because it is riding in a more expensive
vehicle!

   As for your statement about nuclear war: obviously the meaning of the
word "acceptable" depends on the alternatives.  I think it is acceptable
if the alternative is destruction of all life on Earth.  Truman thought
(and I agree) that dropping nuclear bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki was
acceptable when the alternative was a full-scale invasion of Japan.  Is
it an acceptable alternative to Soviet world domination (not that this
is necessarily the choice)?  I think it is, again you may disagree.

   If you find rational consideration of the alternatives "repulsive,"
how do you think our country should make strategic decisions?

phoenix@genat.UUCP (phoenix) in <2582@genat.UUCP>:
>The point is, that orbiters, though expensive are REPLACEABLE:  Life, human
>or otherwise, is not.  If the crew were not important, the orbiter would be
>unmanned, would it not?  The contribution of the crew is unique, not to be
>replaceable by computers or remote control.  The orbiter is *not* unique,
>only the crew is.  The fact that human lives, an irreplaceable resource,  are
>used at all and thus placed at risk proves the value of their input to the
>mission.  Should they not, therefore be more important to save than the
>orbiter is?

   "Life, human or otherwise, is not [replaceable]."  I'm not quite sure
how to respond to this statement, because it doesn't make any sense.  Of
course human (and other) life is replaceable; people die and are replaced
all of the time.
   "The contribution of the crew is unique, not to be replaceable by
computers or remote control."  True.  Neither can the orbiter be replaced
by extra crew members.  What is the point?
   Please clarify what you are trying to say so I can respond to it...

   -- David desJardins

phoenix@genat.UUCP (phoenix) (03/19/86)

In article <12469@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> desj@brahms.UUCP (David desJardins) writes:
>>   I hate to sound callous, but I don't see the point of all of this just
>>to save the crew.  If you could save the orbiter, that would be great, but
>>you are talking about something that has got to cost hundreds of millions
>>of dollars just to save the crew.  Doesn't this seem a trifle excessive?
>

>>Of course cost-vs-safety factors have to be considered, NASA has a limited
>>budget.  What ticked me off about David's posting is his suggestion that
>>the orbiter is more precious than "just the crew."  This is the same kind
>>of criminal mentality employed by nuclear strategists when they talk of
>>10 million casualties during a nuclear exchange to be "acceptable."  I'm
>>sorry but I value human life and I find this reasoning to be repulsive.
>>I stand by my original comment!
>
>   If you find rational consideration of the alternatives "repulsive,"
>how do you think our country should make strategic decisions?
>
>phoenix@genat.UUCP (phoenix) in <2582@genat.UUCP>:
>>The point is, that orbiters, though expensive are REPLACEABLE:  Life, human
>>or otherwise, is not.  If the crew were not important, the orbiter would be
>>unmanned, would it not?  The contribution of the crew is unique, not to be
>>replaceable by computers or remote control.  The orbiter is *not* unique,
>>only the crew is.  The fact that human lives, an irreplaceable resource,  are
>>used at all and thus placed at risk proves the value of their input to the
>>mission.  Should they not, therefore be more important to save than the
>>orbiter is?
>
>   "Life, human or otherwise, is not [replaceable]."  I'm not quite sure
>how to respond to this statement, because it doesn't make any sense.  Of
>course human (and other) life is replaceable; people die and are replaced
>all of the time.
>   "The contribution of the crew is unique, not to be replaceable by
>computers or remote control."  True.  Neither can the orbiter be replaced
>by extra crew members.  What is the point?
>   Please clarify what you are trying to say so I can respond to it...
>
>   -- David desJardins

What I was trying to say (tell-me-twice), is that Life is ideosyncratic;
that is, each living being (human, sentient, or otherwise) is different
from all other living beings:  like snowflakes.  It is this diversity of
life that cannot be duplicated.  Generally speaking, each machine (no matter
how expensive) is, to all intents and purposes, identical to all other
machines of the same type (yes, I know that they can come with different
paint jobs...:-); I'm talking *significant* differences), and at any time
more can be built to exactly the same requirements as earlier one's were.
Yes, making another human being is less expensive than making a new shuttle
BUT that new life cannot be an exact replacement for the life that was taken.
Because each human mind is unique and different from any other such mind.
The primary point I am trying to make is that a life is more important
than a machine is.
For example, John Doe gets into a traffic-accident in his Farrarri.  To save
his life, the car must be cut open, aka *destroyed*.  Because it is an
expensive car that will be damaged, does this mean we leave John Doe to
die while we save the sportscar?
Hoping I have made my position clear,
		Be seeing you,

--

desj@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (David desJardins) (03/24/86)

In article <2593@genat.UUCP> phoenix@genat.UUCP () writes:
>For example, John Doe gets into a traffic-accident in his Farrarri.  To save
>his life, the car must be cut open, aka *destroyed*.  Because it is an
>expensive car that will be damaged, does this mean we leave John Doe to
>die while we save the sportscar?

   I have not touched on this kind of a trade-off, because I don't see any
real situation where we would have to make a choice between saving the
shuttle orbiter *or* the crew.  But, *if* this choice were necessary, it
seems clear to save the orbiter.

   -- David desJardins

mike@amdcad.UUCP (Mike Parker) (03/25/86)

In article <12610@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> desj@brahms.UUCP (David desJardins) writes:
>   I have not touched on this kind of a trade-off, because I don't see any
>real situation where we would have to make a choice between saving the
>shuttle orbiter *or* the crew.  But, *if* this choice were necessary, it
>seems clear to save the orbiter.
>
>   -- David desJardins

I had sworn off posting the the net, but this just *has* to be responded
to. Did you intend to put a smiley after this comment, please tell me
you did.

Money is trash ( ask Reagan, or just look at his deficit spending ) we just
print it, if a shuttle is so valuable, we print x billion dollars and make
one. Memories and human relationships are not replaceable, the price of
100 shuttles will never make what happened right with the children of those
astronauts. Can you imagine telling their husbands and wives that you really
wanted to save them, but it would have destroyed your expensive toy?

Please tell me you didn't mean it.

Mike

--
 UUCP: {ucbvax,decwrl,ihnp4,allegra}!amdcad!mike
 ARPA: amdcad!mike@decwrl.dec.com

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (03/25/86)

In article <11035@amdcad.UUCP> mike@amdcad.UUCP (Mike Parker) writes:
>Money is trash ( ask Reagan, or just look at his deficit spending ) we just
>print it, if a shuttle is so valuable, we print x billion dollars and make
>one. Memories and human relationships are not replaceable, the price of

I don't believe you can print money at will indefinitely. I also don't
believe money is trash. Among other things, money is a measure of the
amount of time human beings have to spend to build something.  Why is
it better for 10,000 Rockwell workers to spend their lives
constructing an Orbiter to be thrown away to save seven lives?

This reminds me of the argument against 55 MPH's supposed safety
advantage. Although your expected lifetime may be increased because
your chances of dying in an auto accident may be reduced, the number
of useful hours in your expected lifetime may be reduced if you have
to spend many more hours behind the wheel of your car.

It could be the same with the Space Shuttle. If we sacrifice an
Orbiter to save the astronauts, society gains 7 * 50 man years at a
cost of (random numbers here) 10,000 * 5 man years. Is 350 > 50,000?
Perhaps.  The astronauts were among the best our society has.  But
don't assume that human lives are not invested in each Orbiter we
build or that money is trash.
--
 "Welcome to the Hotel California...
  You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave."

 Phil Ngai +1 408 749 5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com

js2j@mhuxt.UUCP (sonntag) (03/25/86)

> >   I have not touched on this kind of a trade-off, because I don't see any
> >real situation where we would have to make a choice between saving the
> >shuttle orbiter *or* the crew.  But, *if* this choice were necessary, it
> >seems clear to save the orbiter.
> >   -- David desJardins
>
> Money is trash ( ask Reagan, or just look at his deficit spending ) we just
> print it, if a shuttle is so valuable, we print x billion dollars and make
> one. Memories and human relationships are not replaceable, the price of
> 100 shuttles will never make what happened right with the children of those
> astronauts. Can you imagine telling their husbands and wives that you really
> wanted to save them, but it would have destroyed your expensive toy?

     I really don't know how much a shuttle costs offhand.  But I know it
costs more than just running some large printing presses for a few weeks,
as you imply.  It takes an investment of human time to create a shuttle.
Assuming that a shuttle costs 1 billion dollars, and that it was assembled
by professionals making an average of $30/hr.  The shuttle then costs 370
human-lifetimes of work.
     Suppose terrorists kidnapped the astronauts and demanded 370 professional-
human-lifetimes of work.  Even if they wanted it in 16,000 easy 1-professional-
human-year of work installments, would you volunteer to be one of those 16,000
people?  Would your answer be any different when some other
terrorists kidnapped 5 people you'd never heard of and made the same demands?
Would your answer be any different if you found out that only 369 other
professionals would volunteer and that you'd all have to invest your entire
lifetimes in order to ransom the kidnappees?  Somehow, trading 370 lives for
5 doesn't make too much sense to me.

> Please tell me you didn't mean it.
>
> Mike
>
> --
>  UUCP: {ucbvax,decwrl,ihnp4,allegra}!amdcad!mike
>  ARPA: amdcad!mike@decwrl.dec.com

Jeff Sonntag
ihnp4!mhuxt!js2j

john@frog.UUCP (John Woods, Software) (03/25/86)

> >>    I hate to sound callous, but ... Doesn't this seem a trifle excessive?
> >You don't sound callous, you sound like a neanderthal SAVAGE!
> The point is, that orbiters, though expensive are REPLACEABLE:  Life, human
> or otherwise, is not...
> --
> 					The Phoenix
> ---"A man should live forever...or die trying."

Speaking as a Neanderthal SAVAGE here, the humans, though unique, are
replacable as astronauts.  To assign them an infinite value not only
scraps the Shuttle, it scraps every conceivable activity, for no conceivable
activity can have its risk reduced to zero.  In the case of the Shuttle,
you have astronauts willing to "die trying...to live forever" (to twist your
.signature) because the Shuttle is a tool for learning things about a goal
they strongly believe in.

This is not to say that safety measures (yea, verily, even escape towers)
are out of place -- if the Shuttle hardly worked at all, and killed 8 crews
in 10, there would be scarcely anything that the Shuttle could teach which
would be worth the loss.  However, a safety measure which costs a great deal
and offers only a tiny extra margin of safety (which an escape tower on the
Shuttle appears to me to be, though I am quite willing to listen to
engineering testimony to the contrary) just isn't worth the cost.

--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (617) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw%mit-ccc@MIT-XX.ARPA

This space dedicated to Challenger and her crew,
Francis R. Scobee, Michael J. Smith, Ellison S. Onizuka, Judith Resnik,
Ronald E. McNair, Gregory B. Jarvis, and Christa McAuliffe.

"...and slipped the surly bonds of Earth to touch the face of God."

wmartin@brl-smoke.ARPA (Will Martin ) (03/25/86)

In article <2593@genat.UUCP> phoenix@genat.UUCP () writes:
>What I was trying to say (tell-me-twice), is that Life is ideosyncratic;
>that is, each living being (human, sentient, or otherwise) is different
>from all other living beings:  like snowflakes.  It is this diversity of
>life that cannot be duplicated.

Of course this is true -- each individual is unique -- but it has no
bearing on the question at hand, which is the relative values *to the
space program* [that is, in that limited context] of the equipment and
the personnel.

To their spouses or families, each astronaut is unique and irreplaceable;
their loss is a tragedy which cannot be overcome. To the space program,
it becomes a matter of many factors, usually including such things as
the size of the available manpower pool, the length of time training
requires, the cost and difficulty of such training, etc.

Thee is no question that losing people is a terrible blow in many
aspects, having much wider effects than just the loss of the investment
in their time and training, so we take more precautions and expend more
efforts to preserve life than we would if the decision was purely and
simply an economic one. However, in the long run, you have to operate on
the expectation that people will become no longer available, due to
various factors (getting sick, dying in accidents [even auto accidents &
etc. unrelated to their jobs], changing their minds and quitting,
whatever). So you have a larger pool of people than you have an
immediate requirement for, and try to have enough of them functionally
interchangeable so that you can pick out replacements when you need to.

In this light, the astronauts are no different than you and I -- the
organizations and projects of which we are a part will likely go on
despite something happening to us. If I get flattened by a truck outside
the office building tonight, there will be some period of a degree of
chaos as a result, until a new person takes over my job and things
settle back, but the organization will persist. Because my replacement
is not identical to me, there will be some degree of difference in minor
details, but it really will not matter. In my relationship to the
organization, those qualities that make me unique normally do not make
much difference. I can be replaced, as far as the organization is
concerned. (Now, if this was not a government agency, but was a sole-
proprietorship small business, I probably *would* be irreplaceable.
But that is a different situation.)

Will

bl@hplabsb.UUCP (Bruce T. Lowerre) (03/26/86)

Let's assume that there were an escape mechanism for the shuttle crew, would
the Challenger crew be alive today?  The explosion was unexpected, the
failure undetected, and the SNAFU still unexplained.  What sensors could
possibly give sufficient warning?

desj@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (David desJardins) (03/26/86)

In article <11035@amdcad.UUCP> mike@amdcad.UUCP (Mike Parker) writes:

>>   I have not touched on this kind of a trade-off, because I don't see any
>>real situation where we would have to make a choice between saving the
>>shuttle orbiter *or* the crew.  But, *if* this choice were necessary, it
>>seems clear to save the orbiter.
>>                                     -- David desJardins
>
>I had sworn off posting the the net, but this just *has* to be responded
>to. Did you intend to put a smiley after this comment, please tell me
>you did.
>... Can you imagine telling their husbands and wives that you really
>wanted to save them, but it would have destroyed your expensive toy?
>... Please tell me you didn't mean it.

   Yes, I mean it.  I have no reservations at all.  If it was my finger
on the button I would push it with no hesitation.
   And yes, I would tell them that the orbiter was more important than
the astronaut's lives.  I think most of them would agree.  Maybe that is
too optimistic of me, but certainly I think the astronauts themselves
would agree.

   -- David desJardins

dmcanzi@watdcsu.UUCP (David Canzi) (03/26/86)

In article <11035@amdcad.UUCP> mike@amdcad.UUCP (Mike Parker) writes:
>In article <12610@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> desj@brahms.UUCP (David desJardins) writes:
>>   I have not touched on this kind of a trade-off, because I don't see any
>>real situation where we would have to make a choice between saving the
>>shuttle orbiter *or* the crew.  But, *if* this choice were necessary, it
>>seems clear to save the orbiter.
>
>I had sworn off posting the the net, but this just *has* to be responded
>to. Did you intend to put a smiley after this comment, please tell me
>you did.

He may not be joking...  I came to conclusions similar to his, starting
with the premise that money is not a good standard for measuring value
(because of inflation, among other things).  People often work at
dangerous jobs for money... for that matter, if you cross the street on
your way to work you're risking your life for money.  This can only
make sense if you believe that the money is worth the risk to your
life, ie.  that the money is worth more to you than the safety of
staying on your side of the street.

The only way you can compare the value of two things as dissimilar as
money and risk of life is to somehow convert them to a common unit of
measurement.  The only common unit I could think of was the hour.  When
you work, you sacrifice the hours you spend working in return for
money.  Your hope is that the money will enable you, by buying food
etc., to extend your lifespan by more than the amount of time you've
spent working.  (This is what I mean by saying "money is time", up
there in the summary line.)

It might be reasonable to risk your life for money if the probability of
dying immediately multiplied by your remaining life expectancy is less
than the increase in lifespan you can expect if you survive your gamble.

Now, about the shuttle... somebody posted an estimate of its value at
4,000,000,000 dollars.  Suppose that the people who worked to produce
the shuttle (and all its components) were paid an average of 100
dollars/hour for the amount of their lives they've sacrificed -- an
unrealistically high estimate, I think.  This means that the shuttle
cost 40,000,000 hours of human life.  Seven astronauts, assuming they
each have 100 years of life left -- this is generous -- have a total of
only 6,100,000 hours.

So losing a shuttle is actually a greater loss of human life than
losing the astronauts on board.

--
David Canzi		"Offending with substance since 1985"

mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) (03/26/86)

In article <11035@amdcad.UUCP> mike@amdcad.UUCP (Mike Parker) writes:
> ... Memories and human relationships are not replaceable, the price of
> 100 shuttles will never make what happened right with the children of those
> astronauts. Can you imagine telling their husbands and wives that you really
> wanted to save them, but it would have destroyed your expensive toy?

For the cost of potentially saving a few lives on the shuttle, it would be
simple to save THOUSANDS of equally irreplacable lives.  Perhaps even here
in the US, if you are chauvanistic about it.  Lives of people who are dying
slowly and agonizingly, rather than in a brief flash.

Lives can be assigned values actuarily.  If I am given a choice of where to
spend money to save lives, I'm damn well not going to fling it at the first
person to come weepy-eyed to me about "irreplacable lives".
--

Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh

rupp@noscvax.UUCP (William L. Rupp) (03/26/86)

In article <11035@amdcad.UUCP>, mike@amdcad.UUCP (Mike Parker) writes:
> In article <12610@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> desj@brahms.UUCP (David desJardins) writes:
> >   I have not touched on this kind of a trade-off, because I don't see any
> >real situation where we would have to make a choice between saving the
> >shuttle orbiter *or* the crew.  But, *if* this choice were necessary, it
> >seems clear to save the orbiter.
> >
> >   -- David desJardins
>

> to. Did you intend to put a smiley after this comment, please tell me
> you did.
>
> Please tell me you didn't mean it.

Mr. Parker says that a shuttle-or-crew situation is very unlikely, and I
agree. In fact agonizing over such a hypothetical event is probably counter-
productive.

However...

We should not be fooled into thinking that there will never be a day when
a terrible choice has to be made in so dangerous a venture as space
exploration.  Or, more likely, a terrible situation will arise which we
will be powerless to remedy.  I am reminded of that mediocre movie "Marooned".
In that one, three U.S. astronauts are stuck in oribt because of some
malfunction or other.  Two are eventually save because we send up a
second space craft, and the Russians divert one of there own to help
out.

That story is half sense and half nonsense.  The sense part is that such
a misshap may one day occur.  The nonsense part is that we will be able
to immediately send up a rescue ship.  We would probably have to stand
by as the crew slowly suffocated.  If you think watching the Challenger go
down in one quick ball of fire was bad, how about having to stand by for
maybe several days until that last radio message died out!

It may be unrealistic to imagine a case where sacrificing the crew could
save the shuttle, but that doesn't mean that nasty choices would not
have to be made in an emergency.  If you were the range safety officer, and
you were told that the launch had gone badly, and that the shuttle was
probably headed for Miami, what would you do?  Remember, THE CREW DIES
EITHER WAY.  The Universe will exact its tribute according to the Cold
Equations.  We have really been lucky so far, even with the loss of
Challenger.  We cannot expect to go forward without future losses.  That
must not keep us from going forward, however.

(I speak only for myself, and perhaps for Tom Godwin, whose story "The
Cold Equations", which appeared in ASTOUNDING SCIENCE FICTION magazine in
1954, is strangely relevant to this discussion.)

rupp@noscvax.UUCP (William L. Rupp) (03/26/86)

In my response to Parker, I wrongly attributed desJardin's viewpoint to him.
Sorry about that... I stand by my posting in all other respects.

dick@ucsfcca.UUCP (Dick Karpinski) (03/26/86)

In article <11035@amdcad.UUCP> mike@amdcad.UUCP (Mike Parker) writes:
>In article <12610@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> desj@brahms.UUCP (David desJardins) writes:
>>   I have not touched on this kind of a trade-off, because I don't see any
>>real situation where we would have to make a choice between saving the
>>shuttle orbiter *or* the crew.  But, *if* this choice were necessary, it
>>seems clear to save the orbiter.
>
>Money is trash ( ask Reagan, or just look at his deficit spending ) we just
>print it, if a shuttle is so valuable, we print x billion dollars and make
>one. Memories and human relationships are not replaceable, the price of
>100 shuttles will never make what happened right with the children of those

Come on, sir!  Money is lives.  One megabuck is roughly one career.
And all big projects have deaths associated with them.  Feel free to
establish your own country/religion/philosophy which takes as an
article of faith that human life is worth infinite dollars, but I
shall choose to live elsewhere.  Every time I make a decision to risk
crossing the street, I am balancing the savings (in dollars if you
like) against the risk of MY life.  To value life beyond megabucks is
to live in a bomb shelter with guard dogs etc.  That is: silly.

Still, I would be uncomfortable about pulling that switch.  It takes
time and effort to make rational choices.  Neither is required to
make sloppy or sentimental ones.

Dick
--

Dick Karpinski    Manager of Unix Services, UCSF Computer Center
UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucsfcgl!cca.ucsf!dick   (415) 476-4529 (12-7)

vgfranceschi@watcgl.UUCP (Valerio Franceschin) (03/27/86)

> In article <11035@amdcad.UUCP> mike@amdcad.UUCP (Mike Parker) writes:
> >
> >>   I have not touched on this kind of a trade-off, because I don't see any
> >>real situation where we would have to make a choice between saving the
> >>shuttle orbiter *or* the crew.  But, *if* this choice were necessary, it
> >>seems clear to save the orbiter.
> >>                                     -- David desJardins
> >
>    Yes, I mean it.  I have no reservations at all.  If it was my finger
> on the button I would push it with no hesitation.
>    And yes, I would tell them that the orbiter was more important than
> the astronaut's lives.  I think most of them would agree.  Maybe that is
> too optimistic of me, but certainly I think the astronauts themselves
> would agree.
>
>    -- David desJardins

I read the original posting several days ago and at the time I decided to
restrain myself and not reply to it.  My feeling is that it would be futile
to try to reason with such a mentality.  I accept the fact that there are
many people out there who have absolutely no sense of decency, that's why
our world is in such a mess.  I've now decided that I can't just let this go
by.  I want to say to you, Mr. desJardins, and the (hopefully few) others
like you, that I hope you are never in a position to make such life and
death decisions.  If you are, I hope the family and friends of the people
you let die "with no hesitation" come ringing at your door.  Then you can
try to justify your murderous act to them.  You can also try to explain it
to me and to the rest of the country.  I think you know what my response
would be.  And despite your "optimism", I think most people would agree
with such a response.

For those of you who are all ready to ramble on about cost-vs-safety, this
has got nothing to do with what I'm talking about here.  Spend a couple of
moments and try to see that.

Valerio Franceschin

GOT@PSUVMA.BITNET (03/27/86)

If saving the orbiter is of prime concern, then wouldn't it make sense that
the crew would be saved along with it?  Why would any trade-off exist?

Sunil Gupta
GOT@PSUVMA
S2G@PSUECL

elw@netexa.UUCP (E. L. Wiles) (03/27/86)

> In article <12469@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> desj@brahms.UUCP (David desJardins) writes:
> BUT that new life cannot be an exact replacement for the life that was taken.
> Because each human mind is unique and different from any other such mind.
> The primary point I am trying to make is that a life is more important
> than a machine is.

	Agreed...

> For example, John Doe gets into a traffic-accident in his Farrarri.  To save
> his life, the car must be cut open, aka *destroyed*.  Because it is an
> expensive car that will be damaged, does this mean we leave John Doe to
> die while we save the sportscar?
> Hoping I have made my position clear,

	Perhapse your position has been made clearer, but your analogy
	is very poor.  If the 'Fararri' has been in an accident serious
	enough to require that 'John Doe' be cut out of it, then the
	car is already seriously damaged.  Cutting John out would only
	add slightly to the problem.

	In the event of a shuttle problem sufficient to warrant the use
	of an escape system, the shuttle is already, by the fact that
	the problem is that serious, a peice of flying debris that must
	be gotten away from as soon as possible.  Please understand,
	it is my fondest hope and my highest plan to one day live and
	work in space.  In my personal estimation, the Shuttle program
	is my only hope.  I WANT IT TO WORK!

			E. L. Wiles @ NetExpress Comm. Inc., Virginia

bane@parcvax.Xerox.COM (John R. Bane) (03/27/86)

In article <12665@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, desj@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (David desJardins) writes:
>[with respect to choosing between the orbiter and the astronauts lives]
>    Yes, I mean it.  I have no reservations at all.  If it was my finger
> on the button I would push it with no hesitation.
>    And yes, I would tell them that the orbiter was more important than
> the astronaut's lives.  I think most of them would agree.  Maybe that is
> too optimistic of me, but certainly I think the astronauts themselves
> would agree.
>    -- David desJardins

 ... and what if it was YOUR life and someone else's finger? or maybe
your wife's life? or your children's?

And if you don't care, or consider it worth it, then you have no idea
of the life-long agony that would torture the person who DID "push the
button." I don't think I could bring myself to deliberately kill
innocent people (their only crime is to be stuck in malfunctioning
equipment), no matter how expensive that equipment is. Perhaps what
the world needs is not more love but more empathy!

			- rene

rupp@noscvax.UUCP (William L. Rupp) (03/27/86)

I believe some interesting and useful discussion of the relative value of
human life and the product of human effort has appeared in this group.
Unfortunately, some of the rhetoric has verged close to invective and
repetition.  Can't we all agree on the following and move on?

	1. The loss of Challenger AND crew was a tragedy of major proportions.

	2. While monetary considerations are important when discussing groups,
	   it is senseless to talk of placing a monetary value on any single
	   human life.

	3. With limited resources, choices must be made with respect to
	   how many of those resources will be spent on a given project
	   to decrease the probability of accidents.

	4. Those choices will not always, in hindsight, turn out to have been
	   wise.

	5. The space program should be forward, perhaps with some new decision-
	   makers at the helm.

	6. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

dts@cullvax.UUCP (Daniel T Senie) (03/28/86)

> Let's assume that there were an escape mechanism for the shuttle crew, would
> the Challenger crew be alive today?  The explosion was unexpected, the
> failure undetected, and the SNAFU still unexplained.  What sensors could
> possibly give sufficient warning?

That's just it. They removed all the sensors from the SRBs to reduce weight.
Great move, huh...

--
Daniel T. Senie			TEL.: (617) 329-7700 x3168
Cullinet Software, Inc.		UUCP: seismo!{ll-xn,harvard}!rclex!cullvax!dts

desj@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (David desJardins) (03/29/86)

In article <269@parcvax.Xerox.COM> bane@parcvax.Xerox.COM (John R. Bane)
writes:
>[with respect to choosing between the orbiter and the astronauts lives]
>
> ... and what if it was YOUR life and someone else's finger? or maybe
>your wife's life? or your children's?

   I don't have a wife or children.  And, of course, it would be insane
to put a person in that position into this situation.  But, if I had to,
I would.  And if it were *my* life I would feel the same way (as I noted,
I expect most of the astronauts would agree with me).

>And if you don't care, or consider it worth it, then you have no idea
>of the life-long agony that would torture the person who DID "push the
>button."

   Certainly I care.  That is not the point.  Obviously the sort of
person who would be plagued with "life-long agony" would not be the
one put into this situation.

>I don't think I could bring myself to deliberately kill
>innocent people (their only crime is to be stuck in malfunctioning
>equipment), no matter how expensive that equipment is.

   Maybe this is why you aren't a Range Safety Officer.

>Perhaps what the world needs is not more love but more empathy!

   Or perhaps more intelligence and rationality (perish the thought!).

   -- David desJardins

P.S. My faith in the intelligence of net news readers has been greatly
renewed by the many articles supporting my position, and offering many
intelligent justifications for this necessary attitude.  Thank you all.

torek@umich.UUCP (Paul V. Torek ) (03/31/86)

In article <998@cybvax0.UUCP> mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) writes:
>For the cost of potentially saving a few lives on the shuttle, it would be
>simple to save THOUSANDS of equally irreplacable lives.  Perhaps even here
>in the US, if you are chauvanistic about it.  Lives of people who are dying
>slowly and agonizingly, rather than in a brief flash.

Indeed, people who want human life to be treated as worth infinitely more
than any money have no case, precisely for this reason.  Namely, money can
always be translated into human lives saved, and it never takes an infinite
amount of money to save one more life.

However, that said, I'm not sure that as a President faced with a choice
between saving the shuttle vs. saving the astronauts, I'd save the shuttle.
The people would feel an emotional commitment to save the astronauts, and
I think it would be an inherently good thing to express that commitment in
action.  In other words, I am suggesting that it is worth a whole lot to
strengthen or at least not weaken that emotion.  Of course, it would be even
better if that emotion were directed toward saving even more lives, but the
facts are otherwise.

Note that the above paragraph only applies to situations of choice between
relatively certain outcomes, not to risk evaluation.  As a President or a
NASA director, I would treat the astronauts' lives as more valuable in an
actual crisis than I would in my design of safety systems.  I do not think
this is at all irrational.

--Paul Torek							torek@umich