[comp.sys.mac.hardware] monitor craps out occasionally on plus

mccalla@mcnc.org (Bill McCalla) (01/10/91)

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I don't
recall the answer;

A 3 year old Mac Plus a friend owns has the monitor
blacking out occasionally. Everything else works
and the monitor can usually be brought back to life
with some whacks on the case, at least enough to
see where to shutdown. This occurs immediately after
startup and when the computer is warm.  No fan
and recent upgrade to 2.5 mb.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanx in advance.

--
email mccalla@mcnc.org <mccalla> 			Home
		MCNC	       				7379 Sandy Creek Dr.

news@hub.ucsb.edu (news) (01/13/91)

I read the mail. The problem is gone after the check. I just tightened
some connections and the monitor was clear up to now. Ny suggestion is
beware of the static of your body while reseating everything. A wrist ring
may help to discharge the static on man's body.  Or you just avoid to
touch the circuit directly by holdingh the board only.  Happy reseating!
hflai@squid.ucsb.edu
~.
From: hflai@squid.ucsb.edu (Hsun-Feng Lai)

sethcohn@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (seth cohn) (01/14/91)

mccalla@mcnc.org (Bill McCalla) writes:

> A 3 year old Mac Plus a friend owns has the monitor
> blacking out occasionally. Everything else works
> and the monitor can usually be brought back to life
> with some whacks on the case, at least enough to
> see where to shutdown. This occurs immediately after
> startup and when the computer is warm.  No fan
> and recent upgrade to 2.5 mb.
> Thanx in advance.

That's the power supply on the way out..
fix 1 - resolder the following connections:
 (this is at your own risk - I accept no responsiblity and this is NOT
recommended by any one..... nuff said)
     series of connection where cable from logic board connects
         (don't forget the one slightly removed from the others)
     the flyback solder joints
     the high voltage joints - these arethe biggies
        (on old power supply with the paper cover held on by sticky pads
             these overheat and solder joints fail)
again I don't recommend this to any one (ONLY authorized Apple tech
should go into the machine - THere are dangerous voltages in there!!!)
FIX 2 - RECOMMENDED - Take the mac to your friendly mac dealer and have
them check the solder joints

Seth Cohn - Ithaca NY - POB 671 - (607)273-2815 (eves)
Mac Service Tech to The Stars and most major Planets
The Highest Form Of Service Is Anarchy In The Defense Of The Self

wirehead@oxy.edu (David J. Harr) (01/15/91)

Speaking of monitor problems, I have a friend with an SE. The other night,
he turned on hos mac and it began making loud hissing noises. It scared the
bejeezus out of him, so he turned it off and took it apart to see if he
could tell what the problem was. He soon found out...his monitor was cracked
at the back end near the juncture of the tube and the dry solder welds. Sooo
does anyone know of a rather inexpensive source for the tubes Apple uses for
the Plus/SE/Classic? I don't suppose it would be that difficult to find a
tech to do the work if we could find the tube...

The preceding has been another fine product from the fevered brain of

		       wirehead@oxy.edu

"When you need the looniest opinions around, and you care enough to send
only the very best, use wirehead..."fnordfnordfnordfnordfnordfnordfnordfnord

omh@cs.brown.edu (Owen M. Hartnett) (01/16/91)

In article <136029@tiger.oxy.edu> wirehead@oxy.edu (David J. Harr) writes:
>Speaking of monitor problems, I have a friend with an SE. The other night,
>he turned on hos mac and it began making loud hissing noises. It scared the
>bejeezus out of him, so he turned it off and took it apart to see if he
>could tell what the problem was. He soon found out...his monitor was cracked
>at the back end near the juncture of the tube and the dry solder welds. Sooo
>does anyone know of a rather inexpensive source for the tubes Apple uses for
>the Plus/SE/Classic? I don't suppose it would be that difficult to find a
>tech to do the work if we could find the tube...

Larry Pina's book gives:

	Computer Service Experts
	3484 The Alameda
	Santa Clara, CA 95050
	(408) 984-5091

As a source for amber, green and OEM Crts.

-Owen

Owen Hartnett				omh@cs.brown.edu.CSNET
Brown University Computer Science	omh@cs.brown.edu
					uunet!brunix!omh
"Don't wait up for me tonight because I won't be home for a month."