[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Bootup-Lockup!

3XMQGAA@CMUVM.BITNET (Sari Khoury) (01/16/91)

    Yesterday, I reformatted my harddisk (nothing better to do), and partitione
d it into 2 40 meg partitions (an 80 meg Quantum drive) with Alliance Power Too
ls. Then I reistalled System 6.0.5 from my dist. disks and everyhing worked fin
e. Today, I turned it on, and I got the smiley face, then a blinking dialog box
! I have seen this before but never at startup. I have no funny inits, just
ATM 2.0, and Disk Doubler 3.0 Init... Any help?

I am also looking for the schematics to build an AppleTalk box, if it is legal
that is... Thank you.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::Sari Khoury               Art Department             ::
::3XMQGAA@CMUVM.BITNET      Central Michigan University::
::                          Mt. Pleasant, MI 48859 USA ::
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

woods@convex.com (Darrin Woods) (01/17/91)

In article <91015.1506133XMQGAA@CMUVM.BITNET> 3XMQGAA@CMUVM.BITNET (Sari Khoury) writes:

>    Yesterday, I reformatted my harddisk (nothing better to do), and partitione
>d it into 2 40 meg partitions (an 80 meg Quantum drive) with Alliance Power Too
>ls. Then I reistalled System 6.0.5 from my dist. disks and everyhing worked fin
>e. Today, I turned it on, and I got the smiley face, then a blinking dialog box
>! I have seen this before but never at startup. I have no funny inits, just
>ATM 2.0, and Disk Doubler 3.0 Init... Any help?
>
>::Sari Khoury               Art Department             ::

By blinking dialog box - do you mean one like a 'bomb' box that blinks
very quickly?  If so, I would say that there is a SCSI problem.  If you didn't
do anything different to any SCSI device other than remformat I would say,
'That's damn strange'.  Have you tried to boot from a floppy and what are the
results?  Will it mount the primary partition?  If the blinking dialog box looks
like a mac disk with a '?' in it, then your hard drive found the boot blocks
on the HD (gave you a smiley face) and then went about trying to find the OS
which it couldn't.  If it will mount from a floppy, I'ld back it all off and
try again.

As to the Appletalk box, I don't see any legal problems from apple - Farallon
may have something to say if you use their technology.  As long as it is an
original design I don't think anyone would care and if you can make them
cheap enough but sturdy and rugged - market them!

--
Senior Systems Engineer					woods@convex.com

Convex is not my employer-Therefore they are not responsible for what I say.