[comp.sys.mac.hardware] SCSI Drive Help Needed

jcd2@ukc.ac.uk (J.C.Doig) (01/10/91)

I have an SE/30 with a standard Apple 40MB Sony Internal.
I have just bought a Quantum 210 external .It came in an external
box, with a cable, but no terminator.  It works fine, though.
Now, I want to put the 210 inside, and keep the 40 external, so I had a go,
but it went nuts - sometimes it crashed, sometimes it appeared to work, but
actually was stuffing up files behind my back, and generally caused problems.

In switching the drives around, the only cables that needed to be played with
were power (easy), data (easy) and scsi ID.  On the sony internal, the six-pin
connector for the ID was not connected to anything, but on the external, it
was linked to a clicky-id thing.  Once I had switched them around, the ID
selector worked OK on the sony, and I left the ID pins on the Quantum free (as
the Sony was previously).

What's the problem ?  Is it internal termination ?  If so, why does it work one
way, but not the other ?  Is it the ID pins on the Quantum ?

Any help would be appreciated !

BTW, the drive uses it's own driver - apple's HD Setup refuses to acknowledge
it's presence.

Jeremy Doig (jcd2@uk.ac.ukc.harrier)

stanfiel@testeng1.misemi (Chris Stanfield) (01/12/91)

In article <6591@harrier.ukc.ac.uk> jcd2@ukc.ac.uk (J.C.Doig) writes:
>What's the problem ?  Is it internal termination ?  If so, why does it work one
>way, but not the other ?  Is it the ID pins on the Quantum ?

Looks like you need to remove the termination SIPs (these are Single
In-line Package resistor networks) from the Quantum drive and install
them on the Sony drive. These devices (the SIPs) are usually mounted
close to the 50 pin connector. There will probably be three of them,
and they are about 20 mm long, with 8 pins. They should be in sockets,
though it may not look like it, as many drive manufacturers use zero
profile sockets. Just pull them out, move them to the other drive, and
try again.

Hope this helps.

Chris Stanfield, Mitel Corporation: E-mail to:- uunet!mitel!testeng1!stanfiel
(613) 592 2122 Ext.4960
We do not inherit the world from our parents - we borrow it from our children.

MARK.HOLLINGSWORTH@f1.n354.z1.FIDONET.ORG (MARK HOLLINGSWORTH) (01/17/91)

>>Switching external to internal, and visa vera<<

 Try using SCsi probe or something to see what the scsi ID #'s are for
both drives. Set the internal to 0. You may have to use software to select
the ID. Also, what drive are you using for the startup?  I'v done the same
thing, but had no problems whatsoever. Of course, I use software for lthe
ID #'s

-->  Lininger Utilities Distribution Site<--

--
MARK HOLLINGSWORTH - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!354!1!MARK.HOLLINGSWORTH