[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Dilemma: Should I do it myself?

bohus@math.rutgers.edu (Geza Bohus) (01/11/91)

Hi,

I need some advice. I just got myself an SE/30 w/ 1Meg and I have
4Megs what I bought separately. I understand that the warranty is
voided if I install the memory myself. A dealer would probably charge
$40-$50 for a job even I could do in 10 minutes. So the question is
which of the following strategies is the best:

1. Playing it same and have a dealer install the memory.

2. Taking the risk of installing it myself on the assumption that it's
unlikely that there will be anything wrong with the machine in the
near future. (1 year.)

3. Using it with 1Meg for a while (which is a pain) and then if
everything is OK, then install it myself.

The question is whether

  	E[the price one pays for a breakdown in one year]<$40,

where E stands for expectation.

All opinions are appreciated. Please send email.

gb
bohus@mathematics.rutgers.edu

bohus@math.rutgers.edu (Geza Bohus) (01/11/91)

In article <Jan.10.16.12.53.1991.12749@math.rutgers.edu>,
bohus@math.rutgers.edu (Geza Bohus) (that's me) writes:

> 1. Playing it same and have a dealer install the memory.
		^^^^

I meant safe, of course. Sorry.

gb

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (01/11/91)

In article <Jan.10.16.12.53.1991.12749@math.rutgers.edu>, bohus@math.rutgers.edu (Geza Bohus) writes...
>I need some advice. I just got myself an SE/30 w/ 1Meg and I have
>4Megs what I bought separately.  [ how to upgrade ? ]

>1. Playing it same and have a dealer install the memory.
>2. Taking the risk of installing it myself on the assumption that it's
>unlikely that there will be anything wrong with the machine in the
>near future. (1 year.)
>3. Using it with 1Meg for a while (which is a pain) and then if
>everything is OK, then install it myself.

Option 1 plays it safe ...
Option 3 is unthinkable!  Get that RAM into your machine ...

>The question is whether
>       E[the price one pays for a breakdown in one year]<$40,
>where E stands for expectation.

Regarding Option 2 and your "equation":  if it fails you will almost
certainly pay more than $40 if your dealer decides that you voided
the warranty.  Hint:  if you know how to put memory into a Mac, you
should also know how to take it out.  If your hard disk dies, yank
the RAM and take it to the dealer.  If the service person opens it
up and says "hey now!, whose been messing with this Mac", you probably
screwed up and deserve to pay.  If you did it right, I doubt that:

1) it would be detectable
2) that an Apple service person would blame an unrelated failure on you

I had the rather perverse experience of paying for my first RAM upgrade,
which was questioned later by a service person because it was the dealer
installed RAM that failed.  It turned out that this RAM was purchased
as an "Apple upgrade" during the peak of the RAM drought of 1987.
Apple was buying RAM anywhere it could, and my SIMMS did not have
Apple markings.  I had to drive home to get the paperwork that proved
that my failed Apple ram was legitimately purchased and installed.

After that experience I'd rather take my chances and install my own.

(Note that the reason for not opening the box is that compact Macs are
not made to be opened and messed with.  The Mac II's are easy to work
inside.   For a Plus/SE/SE30,  it is fairly easy to break the
picture tube or yank the wrong wire.  Hopefully, the Classics are
easier to work with on the inside.)

-- Bill (johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu)

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (01/11/91)

In article <Jan.10.16.12.53.1991.12749@math.rutgers.edu> bohus@math.rutgers.edu (Geza Bohus) writes:
>I need some advice. I just got myself an SE/30 w/ 1Meg and I have
>4Megs what I bought separately. I understand that the warranty is
>voided if I install the memory myself. A dealer would probably charge
>$40-$50 for a job even I could do in 10 minutes. So the question is
>which of the following strategies is the best:

You forgot the obvious strategy.

You put the memory in yourself.  If the machine breaks, you take the memory
back out, and take the mac to the dealer, who will be none the wiser.

The only way the dealer will know the difference is if you break something
while you're in the machine.  In that case, you obviously deserve to pay.
Otherwise, it's patently ridiculous that Apple should refuse to replace
(for example) the disk drive, because you happened to open the case
and install some SIMMS.

Installing SIMMS is very easy.  Be moderately careful, and you will have
no problems.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

bohus@math.rutgers.edu (Geza Bohus) (01/13/91)

In article <Jan.10.16.12.53.1991.12749@math.rutgers.edu>,
bohus@math.rutgers.edu (Geza Bohus) (I) writes...
>I need some advice. I just got myself an SE/30 w/ 1Meg and I have
>4Megs what I bought separately.  [ how to upgrade ? ]

Thanks to all who answered. Most people said that if I can do it, I
should and if I need to use the warranty, I can take it out before
taking it for repair. I didn't realize that they have no way to figure
out if I opened the computer (if I don't break something, obviously).
Well, thanks again.

gb

stanman@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Stan Twiefel) (01/14/91)

In article <Jan.12.19.51.11.1991.9053@math.rutgers.edu>,
bohus@math.rutgers.edu (Geza Bohus) writes:

|>In article <Jan.10.16.12.53.1991.12749@math.rutgers.edu>,
|>bohus@math.rutgers.edu (Geza Bohus) (I) writes...
|>>I need some advice. I just got myself an SE/30 w/ 1Meg and I have
|>>4Megs what I bought separately.  [ how to upgrade ? ]
|>
|>Thanks to all who answered. Most people said that if I can do it, I
|>should and if I need to use the warranty, I can take it out before
|>taking it for repair. I didn't realize that they have no way to figure
|>out if I opened the computer (if I don't break something, obviously).
|>Well, thanks again.
|>
|>gb

It is my understanding that you have to cut a resistor on the mother
board when you do a memory upgrade, so that the Mac knows how much
memory you have.  Therefore, when you remove the memory that you
installed, you will have to solder the resistor back for the machine to
be operational with the smaller amount of memory again.  I'm afraid that
this would be to obvious to get past the service people.

Sorry...nice try, though.

Stan Twiefel		     	                      Major: Computer Science
The University of Texas at Austin        Internet: stanman@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu

anderson@Apple.COM (Clark Anderson) (01/14/91)

From: stanman@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Stan Twiefel):
>It is my understanding that you have to cut a resistor on the mother
>board when you do a memory upgrade, so that the Mac knows how much
>memory you have.  Therefore, when you remove the memory that you
>installed...

It is not necessary to cut a resistor on an SE/30. Only on the
Mac Plus and old models of the SE do you have to cut a resistor.

                                        --clark
Clark Anderson                InterNet:  anderson@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc           AppleLink: C.ANDERSON
                              BellNet:   408-974-4593

"I speak only for myself, much to my employers relief..."

nwc1@quads.uchicago.edu (einsturzende neubaten) (01/14/91)

>|>taking it for repair. I didn't realize that they have no way to figure
>|>out if I opened the computer (if I don't break something, obviously).
. . . .
>|>gb
>
>It is my understanding that you have to cut a resistor on the mother
>board when you do a memory upgrade, so that the Mac knows how much
>memory you have.  Therefore, when you remove the memory that you
>installed, you will have to solder the resistor back for the machine to
>be operational with the smaller amount of memory again.  I'm afraid that
>this would be to obvious to get past the service people.
>
>Sorry...nice try, though.
>
>=============================================================================
>Stan Twiefel		     	                      Major: Computer Science
>The University of Texas at Austin        Internet: stanman@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
>=============================================================================

Well, nice try you too. Having done the abovementioned procedure myself,
I must say that the SE/30 at least does not require cutting or anything.
Perhaps you have some other computer in mind.

'later!
 (nice try, but "it is my understanding that" isn't the same as "I've done
this and . . ." or "I looked this up and. . .")

stanfiel@testeng1.misemi (Chris Stanfield) (01/14/91)

In article <42473@ut-emx.uucp> stanman@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Stan Twiefel) writes:
>It is my understanding that you have to cut a resistor on the mother
>board when you do a memory upgrade, so that the Mac knows how much
>memory you have.  Therefore, when you remove the memory that you
>installed, you will have to solder the resistor back for the machine to
>be operational with the smaller amount of memory again.  I'm afraid that
>this would be to obvious to get past the service people.

Anyone who is any good with a soldering iron should be able to do this
in such a manner that no Apple service tech. would be able to tell the
difference. It does not take terribly sophisticated tools (soldering
iron, solder sucker, small pliers and cutters). I would be quite
confidebt that I could do it - I have done much more difficult
repaire, and I make my living with a keyboard most of the time, with
only rare excursions into the hardware these days. I have all the
tools in my basement.

Chris Stanfield, Mitel Corporation: E-mail to:- uunet!mitel!testeng1!stanfiel
(613) 592 2122 Ext.4960
We do not inherit the world from our parents - we borrow it from our children.

stanman@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Stan Twiefel) (01/15/91)

Thanks to all the people who corrected me about the resistor for the
upgrade.  I have done the upgrade on both Pluses and SEs, and had to cut
resistors for all of them.  I have not done it on the SE/30, but assumed
that it, too, would be the same.  Sorry for the wrong info.

MARK.HOLLINGSWORTH@f1.n354.z1.FIDONET.ORG (MARK HOLLINGSWORTH) (01/17/91)

>>Installing ram in a SE/30 under warranty<<

 I would go ahead & install the RAM. Only if you are a careful worker &
have fair mechanical abilites. The job is very easy, and with care, it
would be difficult to damage anything (not I said with care!).
 If you are concerned with the warrenty, then pay the dealer, or just take
the ram out yourself if something goes wrong. That is as long as it wasn't
something YOU did, then I wouldn't feel bad about it.
 NOte: make sure the dealer ends up with 5 meg of ram if they do the
upgrade, not just 4. You can use the 256 simms with the 1 meg simms.

-->  Lininger Utilities Distribution Site<--

--
MARK HOLLINGSWORTH - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!354!1!MARK.HOLLINGSWORTH

MARK.HOLLINGSWORTH@f1.n354.z1.FIDONET.ORG (MARK HOLLINGSWORTH) (01/17/91)

>>It is my understanding that you have to cut a resistor on the mother
board when you do a memory upgrade, so that the Mac knows how much
memory you have.  Therefore, when you remove the memory that you
installed, you will have to solder the resistor back for the machine to
be operational with the smaller amount of memory again.  I'm afraid that
this would be to obvious to get past the service people.

Sorry...nice try, though.
<<<
 On the SE/30, you don't have to cut anything. Just move the  256 simms
into the other bank, and drop in the 1 meg simms.