[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Interchangeability Fx/Cx

seibel@bbn.com (Fred Seibel) (01/17/91)

Is it possible to take the disk and system configured for a MacIIcx, and plug
it into a MacIIfx and expect it to work without any reconfiguration?

fred
seibel@bbn.com
617-873-2445

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (01/17/91)

In article <62149@bbn.BBN.COM>, seibel@bbn.com (Fred Seibel) writes:

> Is it possible to take the disk and system configured for a MacIIcx, and plug
> it into a MacIIfx and expect it to work without any reconfiguration?

Yes *IF* you installed the standard system.  The installer has an
option of installing a minimal system for specific CPU and if you
used that option then you can't use that system on another type of
CPU.

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE

gmarzot@mbunix.mitre.org (G. Marzot) (01/18/91)

In article <62149@bbn.BBN.COM> seibel@bbn.com (Fred Seibel) writes:
> Is it possible to take the disk and system configured for a MacIIcx, and
plug
> it into a MacIIfx and expect it to work without any reconfiguration?

I would bet yes. I upgraded my II to a IIfx with no difficulties with the
hard drive. Just plug
and play. If it is an external drive you may have to look into some
termination issues.
The IIfx comes with a speacial SCSI terminator - see manual I'm not sure
on the details.
GL
  GSM

Responsibility for the views expressed here
belongs only to myself and not to any organization.