[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Can't copy between cartriges on removable HD???

time@tbomb.ice.com (Tim Endres) (01/17/91)

In article <147@kalahari.cs.utexas.edu>, benkei@cs.utexas.edu (William Kent Richards) writes:
> I was told by a salesman at MacProducts in Austin that you can't
> copy/backup from one cartridge to another on a Magic/Syquest 45M
> removable HD.  From the conversations that have been going on
> here about these drives, I am led to believe that it can be done
> and has been done by many people.  What is the truth?

This depends entirely upon the driver software for the drive.
If the driver software installs a VCB task to look for the insertion
of a cartridge, then you will be able to, otherwise you will not.
The VCB task is required since the driver will not get background
time while the "Please insert disk..." message is displayed. Thus,
the VCB task is required to generate the "insert" event required to
get rid of the dialog asking for the disk.

tim.

Tim Endres                |  time@ice.com
ICE Engineering           |  uupsi!ice.com!time
8840 Main Street          |
Whitmore Lake MI. 48189   |  (313) 449 8288

benkei@cs.utexas.edu (William Kent Richards) (01/17/91)

--
Kent Richards
benkei@cs.utexas.edu

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (01/17/91)

In article <147@kalahari.cs.utexas.edu>, benkei@cs.utexas.edu (William Kent Richards) writes:

> I was told by a salesman at MacProducts in Austin that you can't
> copy/backup from one cartridge to another on a Magic/Syquest 45M
> removable HD.  From the conversations that have been going on
> here about these drives, I am led to believe that it can be done
> and has been done by many people.  What is the truth?

There may be some weirdnesses with the Magic drive, but I often copy
syquest catridges onto other cartridges.  I've done it using PLI, MassMicro,
and no-name Syquest drives.

My guess is the salesman doesn't know what he's talking about.

-- michael

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE

gmarzot@mbunix.mitre.org (G. Marzot) (01/18/91)

In article <0B010004.cb1xa8@outpost.UUCP> peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael
Peirce) writes:
> but I often copy
> syquest catridges onto other cartridges.  I've done it using PLI,
MassMicro,
> and no-name Syquest drives.

can you describe the procedure? much thanks
GSM

Responsibility for the views expressed here
belongs only to myself and not to any organization.

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (01/18/91)

In article <1991Jan17.161512.3490@linus.mitre.org>, gmarzot@mbunix.mitre.org (G. Marzot) writes:

> In article <0B010004.cb1xa8@outpost.UUCP> peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael
> Peirce) writes:
> > but I often copy
> > syquest catridges onto other cartridges.  I've done it using PLI,
> MassMicro,
> > and no-name Syquest drives.
>
> can you describe the procedure? much thanks
> GSM

Well, there are two kinds of copies:

(1) I (sometimes) have two Syquest drives hooked up to one of my machines.
The two drives have different SCSI addresses and they both mount on
the desktop.  Copying between these is as simple as copying in the Finder.

(2) When I only have only one Syquest drive hooked up it is still
possible to copy data between two cartidges.  Both the MassMicro and
the PLI drives come with an INIT that makes the cartridges work much
like LARGE floppies.  I can mount two cartridges on the desktop, though
one will be dimmed.  When you copy a file between them you end up
popping them in and out just like you would with two floppy disks
and one floppy drive. (Frankly, this can be as much of a pain to do
as it is with floppy's, but it's still nice to know it can be done)

So it's a matter of getting good software with the drive you buy I suppose.