[comp.sys.mac.hardware] How to remove print-head from an Imagewriter ][?

atschnei@vlsi.waterloo.edu (Todd Schneider) (01/22/91)

My Imagewriter ][ has a problem. The (silver) metal cover on the back of
the clear plastic paper guide is scraping on the paper as the print-head
moves across the platen. The "easy" (and expensive) solution is to
replace the entire print-head mechanism. However, this seems rather drastic
when I could probably fix the problem with some sandpaper and a little
glue. So, can anyone give me reasonably detailed instructions on how
to remove the print-head so I can repair the paper guide? (From an
initial inspection, it appears that this is NOT a simple task.)

Thanks in advance,
Todd.
(atschnei@vlsi.uwaterloo.ca)

clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Kathy Strong) (01/22/91)

In article <1991Jan21.162312.9746@vlsi.waterloo.edu> atschnei@vlsi.
waterloo.edu (Todd Schneider) writes:

>My Imagewriter ][ has a problem. The (silver) metal cover on the back of
>the clear plastic paper guide is scraping on the paper as the print-head
>moves across the platen.

We Thunderscan users are VERY familiar with that particular problem... :-)

>The "easy" (and expensive) solution is to
>replace the entire print-head mechanism. However, this seems rather drastic
>when I could probably fix the problem with some sandpaper and a little
>glue. So, can anyone give me reasonably detailed instructions on how
>to remove the print-head so I can repair the paper guide? (From an
>initial inspection, it appears that this is NOT a simple task.)

It's actually pretty easy. Remove the ribbon. Slide the print head to the
middle where it will be easy to work with. There's a little black plastic
key behind the print head (where "front" = the end closest to the paper);
hold it back with one hand and with the other, grab the print head firmly
and pull it straight up. It takes a firm pull, a little harder than pulling
a card out of a nubus slot. Then you can get at the tiny screws that hold
the plastic guide on.

I used to just carve away the folded part of the silver foil with an
Xacto knife, but after three times I got wise and just pulled the whole
thing off. Didn't make any difference that I could tell--if you have
problems with ribbon smearing onto paper, you might use the adjuster
to move the head back one notch.

--K

:   Kathy Strong               :  "Try our Hubble-Rita: just one shot,     :
:  (Clouds moving slowly)      :   and everything's blurry"                :
:   clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu  :                           --El Arroyo     :
:..........................................................................:

wwtaroli@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Bill Taroli) (01/22/91)

It is actually a rather easy matter to remove the printhead of an ImageWriter
II. Simply pull back the white tab that you find overlapping the printhead
and pull the head itself straight up... it's that easy (although it may
require a bit of force).

There may also be an easier way to clear the guide from the platen. There are
a couple of screws that hold it into place. Each has a slot that it can slide
through. Thus, you may simply require to just slide the guide away from the
platen a short distance.

Hope this helps.

--
______  Bill Taroli  --  Syracuse University  |  "The only thing necessary for
\    /                                        |   the triumph of evil is for