[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Serial<->Serial Question

jbaron@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeffrey Baron) (12/28/90)

Hi, everybody,

Well, I couldn't resist getting an big blue clone laptop (The only IBM
I will ever buy - and the only laptop if Apple ever gets off their duffs
and puts out a "Laptop for the Rest of Us"...).

I just want to know if I need a Null modem adapter to hook the two serial
ports together?  I once saw a diagram of a Null Modem adapter (MacWorld,
I believe, no idea when or where) and it had a number of crossed wires in
it (tab 'a' into slot 'b' sort of thing).  Just what does it do for a
living?

Thanks for the help.

\\\|///
-(.X.)-
  (
 -__-  Phaedrus
---------------
Jeffrey Baron
jbaron@silver.ucs.indiana.edu
---------------
"It walks! It talks! It chews gum!"

Jeffrey.Baron@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Jeffrey Baron) (12/28/90)

Hi, everybody,

Well, I couldn't resist getting an big blue clone laptop (The only IBM
I will ever buy - and the only laptop if Apple ever gets off their duffs
and puts out a "Laptop for the Rest of Us"...).

I just want to know if I need a Null modem adapter to hook the two serial
ports together?  I once saw a diagram of a Null Modem adapter (MacWorld,
I believe, no idea when or where) and it had a number of crossed wires in
it (tab 'a' into slot 'b' sort of thing).  Just what does it do for a
living?

Thanks for the help.

\\\I///
-(.X.)-
  (
 -__-  Phaedrus
---------------
Jeffrey Baron

--
Jeffrey Baron - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!Jeffrey.Baron

daven@svc.portal.com (12/29/90)

In article <1990Dec27.231925.22246@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> jbaron@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeffrey Baron) writes:
>Well, I couldn't resist getting an big blue clone laptop (The only IBM
>I will ever buy - and the only laptop if Apple ever gets off their duffs
>and puts out a "Laptop for the Rest of Us"...).
>
>I just want to know if I need a Null modem adapter to hook the two serial
>ports together?  I once saw a diagram of a Null Modem adapter (MacWorld,
>I believe, no idea when or where) and it had a number of crossed wires in
>it (tab 'a' into slot 'b' sort of thing).  Just what does it do for a
>living?

Yes, you will want to use a null-modem cable. It makes each computer look
like it's wired to a modem. MacWorld (or was it MacUser?) did have such
an article and diagram.

The wiring we recommen in our MicroPhone II manual is:

Mac DIN-8                                   PC
============                            ==========
(HSKo) pin 1  ------------------------> pin 5 (CTS)
(HSKo) pin 1  ------------------------> pin 6 (DSR)
(HSKi) pin 2  <-----------------------> pin 4 (RTS)
(TXD-) pin 3  ------------------------> pin 3 (RXD)
(RXD-) pin 5  <------------------------ pin 2 (TXD)
(TXD+) pin 6  ---x
(dead) pin 7  ---x
(GND)  pin 4  --------\
(RXD+) pin 8  --------/

Legend:      ---x  this pin connects to nothing
             <---  signal goes from PC to Mac
             --->  signal goes from Mac to PC

             ---\
             ---/  these two pins are jumpered together

   Dave Newman              |  daven@svc.portal.com        |  AppleLink: D0025
   Sofware Ventures Corp.   |  AOL: MicroPhone             |  CIS: 76004,2161
   Berkeley, CA  94705      |  WELL: tinman@well.sf.ca.us  |  (415) 644-3232

Vivino@NIHDCRT (Mark Vivino) (12/31/90)

>I just want to know if I need a Null modem adapter to hook the two serial
>ports together?  I once saw a diagram of a Null Modem adapter (MacWorld,
>I believe, no idea when or where) and it had a number of crossed wires in
>it (tab 'a' into slot 'b' sort of thing).  Just what does it do for a
>living?

The VersaTerm Pro user manual shows a good schematic of how to wire serial
ports. I used it to hook my Mac to a PC. Don't use Apples old tech note,
it's for the older macs (not II's).

Mark Vivino
Vivino@helix.nih.gov

ishtar@portia.Stanford.EDU (Chia-Ming Wang) (01/22/91)

Does anybody have any information on the following:

The material used on the paper roller of an Apple ImageWriter. Specifically,
what metal/rubber/coating is used on it?

The coatings on the Male 9-Pin D-Connectors for the Serial Ports; does
anybody have information on their "ruggedness", that is, how many times
one can push'em and pull'em before wearing them out?  What sort of
damage does it do to the female?

The type of glass used on a Macintosh screen; specifically, is it soda-
lime-glass, or lead-based?

The outer plastic casing of the Macintosh. Is it ABS plastic?

Rather a strange list of questions, but I thought somebody out here
might know ...

Thanks in advance; please send me any replies, as I usually can't
comb though all the articles!

-Chia-Ming Wang