[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Hooking up two Syquests - Can it be done?

friedman@mbcl.rutgers.edu (01/23/91)

As our lab is the proud owner of 2 Syquest drives, we were trying to figure if
there is a way to periodically connect the two so that we could backup the
data on a cartridge.  I tried this the other day and could not do it.  We have
a MacIIX, 8megs with a Rodime 100+ external HD.  Do I need to have two drivers
in my system folder?  If so, can I name them xxx.1 and xxx.2?  Is there a
specific connection between the three drives that needs to be made?

Thanks
-Rich
friedman@mbcl.rutgers.edu

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (01/24/91)

In article <267.279d6ba8@mbcl.rutgers.edu>, friedman@mbcl.rutgers.edu writes:

> As our lab is the proud owner of 2 Syquest drives, we were trying to figure if
> there is a way to periodically connect the two so that we could backup the
> data on a cartridge.  I tried this the other day and could not do it.  We have
> a MacIIX, 8megs with a Rodime 100+ external HD.  Do I need to have two drivers
> in my system folder?  If so, can I name them xxx.1 and xxx.2?  Is there a
> specific connection between the three drives that needs to be made?

Make sure they don't have the same SCSI address.  Also check the termination.
The only other thing that comes to mind is that the driver software you have
doesn't support this configuration, but I doubt it.  I know the MassMicro
and the PLI drivers do support multiple Syquest drives on the same
SCSI bus.

-- michael

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE

keeshu@nikhefk.UUCP (Kees Huyser) (01/24/91)

In article <267.279d6ba8@mbcl.rutgers.edu> friedman@mbcl.rutgers.edu writes:
#As our lab is the proud owner of 2 Syquest drives, we were trying to figure if
#there is a way to periodically connect the two so that we could backup the
#data on a cartridge.  I tried this the other day and could not do it.  We have
#a MacIIX, 8megs with a Rodime 100+ external HD.  Do I need to have two drivers
#in my system folder?  If so, can I name them xxx.1 and xxx.2?  Is there a
#specific connection between the three drives that needs to be made?
#friedman@mbcl.rutgers.edu

Try setting the three drives on different SCSI ID's. If two drives have the
same ID, you'll get a SCSI ID conflict and it won't work. Don't use ID's
0(zero) or 7(seven), as these are in use by the internal drive (0) and the
Mac itself (7).

--kees
/* keeshu@nikhefk.nikhef.nl or {...!uunet.uu.net}!mcsun!hp4nl!nikhefk!keeshu  */
/* The National Institute for Nuclear Physics and High-Energy Physics, CSG/K  */
/* P.O.Box 4395, 1009 AJ Amsterdam, The Netherlands, phone:+31205920124	      */
/* Disregarding the metaphysical aspects of Schrodinger's cats, I must protest*/
/* at the use of (possibly live) animals for experiments such as these.       */
/* I urge readers to boycott whatever product this research is leading to.    */